I have a marshall jcm900 50 watt, I also have a fender telecaster with emg's. As you might know the 900 has trouble with getting the right amount of bass( just thought Id throw that out there for refrence). Also the jcm900 sort of switches to diode clipping when you turn the gain up high or somthing like that so it really decreases the quality of toobage sound lol. So anyways I was thinking about just leaving the amps gain at about halfway and then use a good OD pedal to add more gain and push it the rest of the way. I really like the saturated sound but when you turn the gain up on the amp it gets sloppy and I cant fix it (one of the bad things about the 900).
I play modern rock and blues but I want a really saturated thick type of sound, So what do you guys think? I was thinking maybe a tubescreamer?
" Im so god damned horny the crack of dawn better be carefull around me."
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Telecaster w/ rosewood neck&Emg's
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Last edited by Brian8878682 at Mar 17, 2009,
Look at pedals.....I have the Boss MT-2 it's great and don't be mislead cus it's called the metalcore........it is good for metal but you can get alot of distortions out of it even fuzz
Seriously i'd advise this,
O, btw put your amps on clean then put the pedal on cus if the distortion aint that gd on the marshall then dnt bother with it
visual sound angry fuzz is a good pedal.....its mosyly distortion, a bit fuzzy, but i can be a REALLY good dist. pedal if need be.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
I find the trick to getting the classic Marshall tone is more so crank the volume than the pre-amp gain, it's just how those amps are.

That being said though, an OD pedal would be a great solution to getting a saturated tone at a more reasonable volume level. But do be aware that a lot of OD pedals tend to boost the mids and cut the bass. You could also look into an EQ pedal or a clean boost of some type.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
EQ pedal sounds like what you need.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Fulltone OCD
its better than a tubescreamer
MI audio crunchbox
it's a good distortion/OD
both of those are at or below $150 depending on where you go
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by E0HopwoodC
Look at pedals.....I have the Boss MT-2 it's great and don't be mislead cus it's called the metalcore........it is good for metal but you can get alot of distortions out of it even fuzz
O, btw put your amps on clean then put the pedal on cus if the distortion aint that gd on the marshall then dnt bother with it

dis b*tch jus failed teh thread

an overdrive would be a good idea... wanna buy my tubescreamer?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
why not try high-gain preamp tubes? or a basic mod? if not, then a keeley or maxon TS.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I was thinking maybe a Radial ToneBone Classic tube distortion? or maybe the hot british
" Im so god damned horny the crack of dawn better be carefull around me."
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Telecaster w/ rosewood neck&Emg's
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by E0HopwoodC

FAIL..

JCM 900's dist isn't bad at all.
Learn to spell
Boss-MT-2 is the EXACT opposite of what he is looking for.
Quote by Lefty Guitarist
FAIL..

JCM 900's dist isn't bad at all.
Learn to spell
Boss-MT-2 is the EXACT opposite of what he is looking for.

and it isnt even called the metalcore

i still think an overdrive would do it, perhaps a bad monkey
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
and it isnt even called the metalcore

i still think an overdrive would do it, perhaps a bad monkey

I agree, I think an overdrive would get him the boost he needs.