Jah-co.

or Jock-o.
Basically the same thing.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
jake-oh
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
yeah its jock-oh
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
I've always thought it was Jay-co.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I thought jacque-0
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I say Jay-ko. But I've heard it pronounced as Jah-ko by many other people. Chances are I'm pronouncing it wrong. Then again if you say Jay-ko or Jah-ko bassists and people into jazz will know who you're talking about.
GAS List:
Nothing
Better question. How do you pronounce Pastorius?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Jock-o

"He loved basketball and often watched it with his father. Pastorius' nickname was influenced by his love of sports and also by the umpire Jocko Conlan.[7] He changed the spelling from "Jocko" to "Jaco" after the pianist Alex Darqui sent him a note. Darqui, who was French, assumed the name was spelled "Jaco"; Pastorius liked the new spelling."
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Quote by TonalPerfection

Yes, I'm that retarded

Evidently not that retarded...
Id always said Jacko.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Quote by Vampire 255
Better question. How do you pronounce Pastorius?

+1

I've been wondering this myself.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
Jock-o

his name was orignally spelt "Jocko". He changed it to "Jaco" when a baseball player wrote his name assuming it was french I think.

EDIT: It was a pianist, not a baseball player
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by gwath42
I pronounce it
Jack-o Past-or-ee-ous

Thanks.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
It's either Jah-koh or Jaw-koh, I don't think you're wrong if you go with either one. I've heard both throughout various audio biographies and things like that.

Why don't we all just call him Mowgli and get on with it.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
pronunciation of his name is hardly important, his legacy as a bassist is what we should be discussing
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Since we're here, what's the worst butchering you've ever heard?

Jay-co is absolutely, positively retarded (and I simply cannot see how anyone could pronounce it like that), but it's not as bad as a conversation I had with a kid at a guitar store:

YAY-KO PASTORIUS.

Man, I must've said JOCKO (the way it's pronounced) 35 times in that conversation.

EDIT: Do people say J-eye-mee when reading Jimi? Or read the word edit EEE-dit?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 17, 2009,
the worst i've heard is either jar-ko pas-tor-ee-us or jay-ko pas-ta-rus. and it's not like he pronounced it with a taaa it was literally like saying pasta with rus on the end
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Jah-co pas-tor-ez sounds natural to me (i'm an aussie so heh) but i'm pretty sure it's jock-o pas-tor-ee-us, which sounds completely wack to me.
the worst bastardization i heard of his name was from my girlfriend. I was talking about Jaco and how awesome he was and then she said, "who is this Gia-ko Pastoral anyway?"

i lolled
GAS List:
Nothing