Page 1 of 2
its almost time to start gigging that means ill be looking for a half stack in the near future and im completely new to half stacks ive never really used anything other then just a amp so i was hopeing for some insight on here im looking to get a slayery exodus tone very heavy and thrashy i use a bcrich delux nv jr v and run it into a crybaby and a metalmuff....so any advise helps cant spend much more then a grand so help me out guys thanks
\m/ metal up your ass
You don't need a half stack for gigging. If you want one to look cool and make you feel like you have a large penis, that's OK as long as you don't sacrifice penis size for tone.

Where do you live, and anre you willing and able to go used?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
well ill be the first to say you dont need a halfstack.... but it will sound better than a combo for metal imo.
that being said, a 6505/+, a XXX, an Ultra in the peavey territory
and a marshall jcm800 would sound good for a classic thrash tone
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I didn't say he shouldn't get a halfstack, I would never deny someone the chance to look cool UNLESS it means that they sacrifice tone for it, i.e. getting a MG stack over a tube combo.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
You don't need a half stack for gigging. If you want one to look cool and make you feel like you have a large penis, that's OK as long as you don't sacrifice penis size for tone.

sigged
That's not even the funniest version I've used, but thanks.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
I didn't say he shouldn't get a halfstack, I would never deny someone the chance to look cool UNLESS it means that they sacrifice tone for it, i.e. getting a MG stack over a tube combo.

you do know that having a half stack does affect tone right?
and i actually heard an mg stack with a decent tone.... nowhere near good, but it wasnt terrible lol
but this guy was runnin some weird setup
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
you do know that having a half stack does affect tone right?
and i actually heard an mg stack with a decent tone.... nowhere near good, but it wasnt terrible lol
but this guy was runnin some weird setup

It has a very minor effect on tone due to the extra speakers. That's all.

It's not like having a halfstack will suddenly make you a metal God or even give you a magically brilliant metal tone if you're running a Spider or MG head.

If you stick enough pedals in front of an MG, you can get OK toanz out of it but why bother with all that money if you can get a decent tube amp for less?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
It has a very minor effect on tone due to the extra speakers. That's all.

It's not like having a halfstack will suddenly make you a metal God or even give you a magically brilliant metal tone if you're running a Spider or MG head.

If you stick enough pedals in front of an MG, you can get OK toanz out of it but why bother with all that money if you can get a decent tube amp for less?

i was just asking
but i will say that it has a more drastic affect than you seem to be stating. it pushes more air than a combo due to: more speakers and a closed back. this delivers a more focused, tight sound.... blah blah. im not trying to talk down to you, i think you get what im saying.

and i in no way endorse those sh*t halfstacks
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
lol hey children im not trying to look cool with a half stack i have an amp that i could gig with but i want a half stack is that ok that said yes i could go used as long as it was a good deal and i live in michigan...that all said and out of the way thank you holy diver for actuly not wasting my time with a childish post and yes i can play a half stack at home i can play it where ever the hell i want rofl
\m/ metal up your ass
what city?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
i was just asking
but i will say that it has a more drastic affect than you seem to be stating. it pushes more air than a combo due to: more speakers and a closed back. this delivers a more focused, tight sound.... blah blah. im not trying to talk down to you, i think you get what im saying.

and i in no way endorse those sh*t halfstacks

+1

A 4x12 cab will make a pretty good amount of change in your tone over a 2x12 cab and a drastic change when it comes to an open back combo. Even standard, oversized cabs and ported all play a roll and can be pretty different sounding even with the same amp and speakers.
Can you travel to Detroit? If so...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/msg/1076990171.html The Spider Valves are love/hate, but if you like it see if you can haggle the price down.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/msg/1066179130.html This is a really good head for metal. Dimebag Darrell used them before he got his sig amp. And you'll be able to afford a good cab with it also.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by IbanezPsycho
He is probably running a craigslist search for ya...

lol prlly its good to know some ppl on here are good ppl thanks to all the good ppl!
\m/ metal up your ass
hmm thanks i was looking into randall a bit i found a kirk hammet sig for bout 750 or osmething was wondering if any1 knew anything bout it?
\m/ metal up your ass
The Kirk Hammett sig Randall is an OK amp, but overpriced.

And most of us are good people, it's just that some are more jaded and sarcastic than others.
Quote by Cathbard
meh everything is overpriced now adays and with everything being online its hard as sh it to try a amp b4 u buy specially here theres no shops but in lansing bout a hr theres a few nice ones and none have any half stacks that i mite want to its rediculas
\m/ metal up your ass
Yeah, but with the KH amp you're essentially paying a lot more for his name. It's just an ordinary Randall RX amp underneath, he doesn't even use it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Lchoke
http://jxn.craigslist.org/msg/1076432673.html

thoughts on this this is very close to me

Do. It. Now. Pay more if you have to.

And get a good OD in case it isn't enough, it should be though.
Quote by Cathbard
TS: how much money do you have to work with? And if you're going to get a high gain amp head then you might as well sell your metal muff. I have one and it just sits there lonely b/c it sounded good through my MG (I had really weird settings to make it work), but through my 6505 it sounded like sh!t.
Kerry King uses a JCM800, so go for that. And you'll probably want an OD pedal also.
Quote by Cathbard
i can really tell the difference between playing my half stack vs combo about 60 watts i guess i could mic my combo witch is loud by itself. not that i wanna look that cool but really dont wanna look funny either. plus i would have to bring my P/A. on distortion combo is loud enough to play with drums but clean cannot be heard very well. not that i ever use clean channel. i have to say i like the sound of most tube heads peavey,marshall,mesa they all sound better to me live then solidstate or whatever its called. i suggest getting a boss ns2 or some kinda noise gate as well. if the cab is mic'd not sure there is really much difference in tone between comb and head+cab.
id love to get a jcm 800 but thats not exactly near the price range i gave lol so anyway im looking at a vox valvetronix 100watt head and the cab thats with it and im wonering if any1 know much about that? also a line 6 thats like 700 i dont member wat the exact model is
\m/ metal up your ass
Quote by Lchoke
id love to get a jcm 800 but thats not exactly near the price range i gave lol so anyway im looking at a vox valvetronix 100watt head and the cab thats with it and im wonering if any1 know much about that? also a line 6 thats like 700 i dont member wat the exact model is

Dude, please, please, please use periods and commas and question marks. It's both impossible and extremely annoying to read your posts. You go to school for a damn reason.

As far as the VT goes, no. You don't want that for your genres.

The 700 dollar Line 6 is probably the Flextone. If it is, I would go for that. It's a great amp.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
You don't NEED a half stack. A combo can do most venues and has the obvious portability advantage.

When I gig I'm using a 40w tube combo, and the sound people complain if the volume exceeds like 2.

That being said, if you still want one look at Marshall JCM 800s
***Short Sig***
[quote="'[= Tom ="]']You don't NEED a half stack. A combo can do most venues and has the obvious portability advantage.

When I gig I'm using a 40w tube combo, and the sound people complain if the volume exceeds like 2.

That being said, if you still want one look at Marshall JCM 800s

lol at this post
\m/ metal up your ass
Quote by Lchoke
lol at this post

LOL at you LOL'ing the truth.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic

i lold that he said jcm800 after all the talk about it already and that not being in my price range get a grip kid
\m/ metal up your ass
Quote by theoreticmusic

LOL at this post owning TS's post
Get a tube combo. And WTF is your price range????
Quote by Lchoke
i lold that he said jcm800 after all the talk about it already and that not being in my price range get a grip kid

that halfstack you posted was $600. In what alternate universe do you live where you can't find a JCM 800 for $600?

oh, and again with the goddamn grammar.

Don't judge me.
ok **** grammer kid all of you if ur gonna post something just to be a douch bag either read the entire thread or get the **** out and practice holy ****
\m/ metal up your ass
I'm afraid I am also going to have to tell you to be wary of the half stack route.

Firstly, you do not necessarily need a half stack for your tone to sound big.

Secondly, the number one priority in your investment is your tone. The second priority is the reliability.

If for instance you found a combo that had a tone you loved the most, and had enough wattage for average sized gigs, then I would take the combo.

Also be aware that lower power tube amplifiers will allow you to open it up more to achieve a nicer tone at a moderate sized gig (remember, tone is everything)

If the majority of the time you are playing very large gigs where you will not be mic'd, then the half stack would be advantageous.

If however, you are mostly playing average sized gigs, you really do not need your amplifier to exceed 35W, and you also do not need a 4x12 cabinet.

If you really think you just HAVE to have a 4x12 cab and head, then go for it if you believe it to be essential to your needs.

I would think very carefully about your decision before you spend out, and most importantly.. try before you buy!

Hope this helps
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Mar 20, 2009,
Quote by XtAsY2007
I'm afraid I am also going to have to tell you to be wary of the half stack route.

Firstly, you do not necessarily need a half stack for your tone to sound big.

Secondly, the number one priority in your investment is your tone. The second priority is the reliability.

If for instance you found a combo that had a tone you loved the most, and had enough wattage for average sized gigs, then I would take the combo.

Also be aware that lower power tube amplifiers will allow you to open it up more to achieve a nicer tone at a moderate sized gig (remember, tone is everything)

If the majority of the time you are playing very large gigs where you will not be mic'd, then the half stack would be advantageous.

If however, you are mostly playing average sized gigs, you really do not need your amplifier to exceed 35W, and you also do not need a 4x12 cabinet.

If you really think you just HAVE to have a 4x12 cab and head, then go for it if you believe it to be essential.

I would think very carefully about your decision before you spend out, and most importantly.. try before you buy!

Hope this helps

a little helpfull i cant complain much after all the other posts lol thanks alot and im not the type of person @ buy something cheap im the guys that gets the nice **** lol and def try b4 u buy lol always thanks tho man
\m/ metal up your ass
Quote by Lchoke
ok **** grammer kid all of you if ur gonna post something just to be a douch bag either read the entire thread or get the **** out and practice holy ****

I don't want your grammar to be perfect, I want you to actually use SOME so that I can determine the way YOU your sentences to work. If you don't use grammar, it's both extremely annoying to read and hard to read into. So f*ck off yourself and go read a book. I gave you legitimate advice, you just didn't want to hear it.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Lchoke
a little helpfull i cant complain much after all the other posts lol thanks alot and im not the type of person @ buy something cheap im the guys that gets the nice **** lol and def try b4 u buy lol always thanks tho man

you're quite welcome

Let us know what your ideal price range is, and the average size of the gigs your band plays and we can recommend some half stack and combo options for you to check out.
Page 1 of 2