ive been playing guitar for about 2 years now and im getting frustrated it seems like my skill isnt improving at all even if i play an hour a day every day, i can play things like lamb of god, all that remains, as i lay dying, but when it comes to solos i cant do most of them, and writing my own songs frustrates me, i dont think anything i write sounds good and i cant even begin to write a solo of my own, if anyone knows anyway i can improve please let me know.

thanks in advance!
Fender MIM Stratocaster With YJM pickup in neck
Esp Ltd Kh-202

Crate 15w

Electro Harmonix Metal Muff
DOD Yngwie J. Malmsteen OD
Digitech Rp 80
well it depends what you did for that 2 years. And an hour only? i guess it depends on the free time we all have. But boning up on theory, scales and what not will help with speed/fluency by playing them and knowledge of soloing in general.
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
between work and school i can only get in about an hour, i get about 3 on days i practice with my band though
Esp Ltd Kh-202

Crate 15w

Digitech Rp 80
yeah whenever i pic mine up its at least two, but with all the practices for sports its hard haha thats why i just erase some of sleep designated hours. but to improve playing metronome work will always help, and what i said earlier for solos.
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Be patient, It takes time. You'll get there, I'm sure you remember when you couldn't play easy stuff like Nirvana songs. We've all been there, Remember that a lack of patience is why some people give up learning, Which is sad.

You'll pick up things along the way and eventually play what you want. For example, You can't very well play "Friday" On My Mind" Without alternate strumming!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zB0RygrYy8
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by Gargoyle2500
Hey, You'll get there. It takes time, Sometimes you need to know some things first. For example, One can't very well play "Friday On My Mind" Without alternate picking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zB0RygrYy8

I still remember when I couldn't play a Nirvana song.

you make it seem like he can't play at all.

I assume he knows what alternate picking is he has played for 2 years and listens to mildly difficult bands. Though i really wanna diss on AILD. but hey at least they dont completely blow like back in the day....right?...

But yeah back on track, TS i assume you know how to alternate pick.. if not i will have to recommend other things.
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Last edited by Krzy8 at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by Krzy8
you make it seem like he can't play at all.

I assume he knows what alternate picking is he has played for 2 years and listens to mildly difficult bands. Though i really wanna diss on FFTL. but hey at least they dont completely blow like back in the day....right?...

But yeah back on track, TS i assume you know how to alternate pick.. if not i will have to recommend other things.

That is why I said "For Example", I do not know his skill level. He may or may have not had a teacher. I never had one so I could have been much more skilled by now.
haha no i know alternate picking i dont think u can play most lamb of god, all that remains, or as i lay dying without alt picking
Esp Ltd Kh-202

Crate 15w

Digitech Rp 80
yeah, practice practice practice. Efficiently though. There will be horizontal progress before verticle progress.
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
dude ive been playing for 5 years and it sounds like im in the same spot as you. granted that 3 of those were spent rarely practicing, but in just the past couple months ive gotten wayy better, just by playing in a band with a better guitarist. basically what my little speech here is saying is jam with people better than you, if that makes any sense
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by Metlhead443
dude ive been playing for 5 years and it sounds like im in the same spot as you. granted that 3 of those were spent rarely practicing, but in just the past couple months ive gotten wayy better, just by playing in a band with a better guitarist. basically what my little speech here is saying is jam with people better than you, if that makes any sense

TRUE: they will alaways improve your playing, if done regularly, they will push you boundaries especially if you make song with them. They will teach, scale patterns and other tid bits in play its very effective.
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
what ur saying could work, the other guitarist in my band is awesome at guitar he can improv like nothing and it sounds awesome
Esp Ltd Kh-202

Crate 15w

Digitech Rp 80
If solos and writing are your sticking points learn some theory - scales will help playing and writing solos, as when you know the scale its written in it starts making more sense and your hand starts to second guess what comes next, and theory will help your writing. If you can't write a solo can you improvise? If you can, just noodle til you get the outline of a solo, even if its just a couple of bars, then expand on it.
Quote by zhilla
If solos and writing are your sticking points learn some theory - scales will help playing and writing solos, as when you know the scale its written in it starts making more sense and your hand starts to second guess what comes next, and theory will help your writing. If you can't write a solo can you improvise? If you can, just noodle til you get the outline of a solo, even if its just a couple of bars, then expand on it.

Well that would usually need theory to effectively improv. so he would be able to write, (normally). NOodling will work for solos alone but not in making a solo along with a song, you must know that key and then you can do tons of stuff from there.
Or just keep playing saying screw the theory and develop an awesome ear... wouldnt recommend it though.
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Quote by Krzy8
Well that would usually need theory to effectively improv. so he would be able to write, (normally). NOodling will work for solos alone but not in making a solo along with a song, you must know that key and then you can do tons of stuff from there.
Or just keep playing saying screw the theory and develop an awesome ear... wouldnt recommend it though.

Sorry - I meant noodle in key. And just enough to get a lick you can expand on. I was kinda assuming he knows something about scales.....shouldn't assume tho I guess. Sorry.
well actually we should ask haha

i assumed not since he has trouble writing solos
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
i dont know much of scales just a little
Esp Ltd Kh-202

Crate 15w

Digitech Rp 80
my advice is wait. ive been playin for 3 years, and i can play almost any damn riff you throw at me, but give me a solo and im lost. some people are just geared more toward rhythm then other players. just give it time. in a couple years youll be all over the solo stuff.
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Dean Cemetery Gates Rzrbck
Marshall MG250 (screw you guys everyone i kno loves this amp)
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
MXR 10 Band EQ (black, not blue)
well i would recommend. "The Guitar Grimoire"

lists tons of scales in their respective keys tells you how they are made as well.
hmm pretty sure it can tell corralating chords.

worked me magic.
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Quote by rrhoads47
i dont know much of scales just a little

In that case Id say learn the 1st position of the minor pentatonic and play around with it - if you're just starting improvising I'd start off limiting myself to about 3 notes to start with, then when you're comfortable add a note...until you can happily noodle with the whole thing. Then add the 2nd position in. etc Jam tracks help too - either make yourself some (blues progressions work well) or download some.

And have a look at some theory - learn a bit about key signatures, and how scales and chords are constructed. It'll help a lot with writing.