Hi y'all

i'm trying to record a mesaboogie v twin preamp running through a mesa fifty fiftry power amp into a 4 x 12 celestion cab ( closed back)

i Have an audio technica mic kit, with a cardiod condensor, and a smaller condensor mic, also an sm 57 unidyne 3

i use an edirol ua-25ex interface

which mic do you recommend for this usage, i do many instruments, vocal etc

sm57
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Quote by Tatersalad1080
sm57

have tried, seems to not catch quite enough Botton end from the amp
As you're probably well aware, there are lots of options. A few of the 'go-to' mics in pro studios for guitar cabs are (in order of price):

SM-57 (~$100)
Sennheiser e609 (~$150)
Sennheiser MD-421 (~$400)
Royer R121 (~$1300)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
SM-57 is standard amp mic, but a condenser mic will capture more low end too. Most studios record amps with a dynamic (SM57) and condenser mic (U87, AKG414 etc) at the same time.
Quote by BrickIsRed
SM-57 is standard amp mic, but a condenser mic will capture more low end too. Most studios record amps with a dynamic (SM57) and condenser mic (U87, AKG414 etc) at the same time.

the problem is my condensor is phantom powered..........not my sm57

does it amtter if i shoot phantom power through my sm???? as i can only activate phantom on all inputs......

how would you mic this?
Quote by ferguson911
the problem is my condensor is phantom powered..........not my sm57

does it amtter if i shoot phantom power through my sm???? as i can only activate phantom on all inputs......

how would you mic this?

yeah you can feed phanotom power to an sm-57 without damaging it (you should only have problems with ribbon mics, which get fried from phantom power, or really cheap improperly wired dynamics)

I would mic it by placing both mics on axis with the sm-57 right up on the amp and the condenser about 2 feet from the grille, you'll want to play around with the distance and whether or not you want to use the mics on axis or off axis.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah you can feed phanotom power to an sm-57 without damaging it (you should only have problems with ribbon mics, which get fried from phantom power, or really cheap improperly wired dynamics)

I would mic it by placing both mics on axis with the sm-57 right up on the amp and the condenser about 2 feet from the grille, you'll want to play around with the distance and whether or not you want to use the mics on axis or off axis.

is it posible the sm 57 gives a ''cold'' sound almost dead sound when too close to the speaker, but when too far i get a mushy tone
Yes. Distance plays a big role, and your descriptions of your result make sense to me. So, the trick is to find the sweet spot, and sometimes a difference of even an inch can make a big difference.

Also play around with miking the speaker more towards the edge if miking it right in front of the cone is too harsh. Again, even an inch can make a big difference.

As far as combining mics, that is a *very* common technique. It's a good bet to get a dynamic up nice and close to the grille, and a condensor maybe about 8 feet away, give or take, to get a room sound. Experiment with distances, and blend to taste.

You might find, though, that in a full band mix, that the two mics together doesn't sound as good as one or the other on their own - even though when the guitar tracks are played together by themselves, they sound brilliant with both mics.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by ferguson911
is it posible the sm 57 gives a ''cold'' sound almost dead sound when too close to the speaker, but when too far i get a mushy tone

Generally SM-57s do give a pretty cold sound, this is usually fixed in post production, but it's one of the main reasons why I prefer to use multiple mics or just use a condenser.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Why not re-record something so it sounds brilliant 'now' as opposed to having to hope it can be fixed satisfactorily later? Once you get to the mastering stage (ie. post-production), any EQ changes, etc. that you make are done to the 'whole mix.' Far from ideal.

CT

Quote by ferguson911
sm 57 unidyne 3

Do you mean the old silver one (Not really a 57, a predecessor)?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Generally SM-57s do give a pretty cold sound, this is usually fixed in post production, but it's one of the main reasons why I prefer to use multiple mics or just use a condenser.

Your getting a cold sound from a 57 on a guitar cab and a warm one from a condenser?

Somethings not right there mate. Usually condensers sound very brittle and cold on any amps other than really clean ones (twins, AC30's etc.) and dynamics give a warm, sometimes mushy tone.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Maybe... depends on the mic, right?

Also, if he's using a condensor right up against the grille and getting proximity effect, it might sound warmer than a condensor smack up against the middle of the cone.

CT

well the condensor is a side adress one, right up to the grill, same for sm 57........I cant seem to pick up any bottom from these...

when plugged straight into my edirol ua 25 i barely have any ''sens'' or gain button opened.......i have to use a limiter on it to stop clipping

how do i fight this?