Page 1 of 2
UG I need your help.

Basically I'm a British student thinking of applying to a couple of Universities in the US to study Law (and yes I am aware that the American Constitution is different to the British Constitution), and I just need a bit of basic information regarding the S.A.T's and other tests that most uni's require you to have taken to study there, what sort of scores to be aiming for, and a bit about Uni life. Also, I would be very grateful if somebody could give me some sort of indication on the difficulty of these tests compared to the AS/A2 exams taken in Britain.

I used the searchbar and couldn't really find anything of worth, but if there is another thread with all the information I'm looking for please redirect me and I'll close this one.

Thanks.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever." 1984.
I don't find the ACT test to be too difficult: I got a 27 the first time I took it, and I didn't do any of that practice stuff.

Depending on which University you want to go to, they will have certain ACTs that they require you to enter. Harvard's average is around 31 composite, but most state colleges will automatically accept you at around 20 or so.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Do colleges really take the ACT as seriously as the SAT? IDK, i took the SAT. A good law school will be very difficult to get into, you'll need to be damn near perfect.

Any ideas on where you want to go?
to be able to go to an american college you need to be able to get totally wasted on 2 liters of ****ty ass water-beer.
It depends on what school you apply for. Some schools do not accept the ACT, and some require that you take the written portion of it (while others do not). Research what school you are interested in and find out what they require, its relatively easy to find.

NoEdit: Also, I never took the S.A.T I took the ACT and got a 27 composite score on it the first time. I didn't study or anything. (a 27 put me in the 91st percentile for the entire country, and I got accepted to a private university from it.)
Last edited by NoBC14 at Mar 17, 2009,
some of the bigger colleges in the US may recognise a test that you have done in the UK as an entry requirement, i suggest getting in touch first, just to be sure
Quote by Zombee
Do colleges really take the ACT as seriously as the SAT? IDK, i took the SAT. A good law school will be very difficult to get into, you'll need to be damn near perfect.

Well Berkeley would be my first option.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever." 1984.
yeah i ve seen some SAT math questions..its like **** i used to do when i was 14 in greece....somehow the math is pathetically easy but they really wanna press you on vocabulary.

somehow knowing what a cornucopia is is more important than knowing what x is.....
go to collegeboard.com, they have all the requirements for just about every college in the U.S.
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
A good website for you to check out would be fastweb.com

You can look up any American college or university on there, and all the info you need about them, including what the average is on the students' SAT/ACT.

College life is pretty sweet. I dont know what else to say about that other than freedom. Any more questions, you can PM me.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

seriously, as a math ed major i can tell you that the American education system sucks. stay in England and do law school there. besides if you got a law degree in the States, you would have to get re-certified to practice law back in merry ol' England
Quote by slash16x
seriously, as a math ed major i can tell you that the American education system sucks. stay in England and do law school there. besides if you got a law degree in the States, you would have to get re-certified to practice law back in merry ol' England

NO.

Where the hell do you go to school? Valencia?
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Out of the entire fcking internet TS comes to the Pit to ask this question.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Like other said, check out collegeboard.com. It has plenty of info for practically every college in the US. Including PRICE!
Quote by slash16x

While the part of about having to get re-certified is probably true, the American education system most certainly does not suck, at least not at the college level, unless you go to a shit college.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
the SAT is scored from 0-2400. its not that hard, theres just a lot of it. algebra, english, reading skills. im sure its about equivalent to whatever you guys take. i got a 1900, and that was enough to get into university of california, davis, which is a pretty good school. i got rejected from berkeley, but i wouldnt want to go there anyway.
Quote by slash16x
seriously, as a math ed major i can tell you that the American education system sucks.
thats the winning spirit that Devry institute instills in its students.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Last edited by Zugunruhe at Mar 17, 2009,
After you graduate in the good ''ol USA, don't you have to take the bar back in England again? I know testing is different in England, so check to make sure that whatever universities you have in mind are willing to transfer those credits.
The SAT and the ACT are pretty similar. Certain schools just tend to prefer one over the other. The advantage of the ACT is that you can take it as many times as you want. I took it the first time and got a 28. The second time I was more familiar with the test and scored a 30. EDIT: Apparently, you can take the SAT as many times as you want.

Colleges in the US are insanely diverse. I go to a public university with 40,000 undergraduate students and I love it. My sister goes to a private college with just under 1000 students total and she loves it.

Do your research extensively. There are just so many different options.

I recommend you live in the dorms your first year. Some colleges even require it. Its a great way to meet people and its not as big of an adjustment from living with your parents to living alone.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by snipelfritz
The SAT and the ACT are pretty similar. Certain schools just tend to prefer one over the other. The advantage of the ACT is that you can take it as many times as you want. I took it the first time and got a 28. The second time I was more familiar with the test and scored a 30. The SAT, I'm pretty sure, you can only take once.

Colleges in the US are insanely diverse. I go to a public university with 40,000 undergraduate students and I love it. My sister goes to a private college with just under 1000 students total and she loves it.

I recommend you live in the dorms your first year. Some colleges even require it. Its a great way to meet people and its not as big of an adjustment from living with your parents to living alone.

no you can take the SATs as many times as you want
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
you can retake the SAT. i think you have to wait some period of time because they only do it a few times a year, but you can retake it.

plus ones to everything else.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by thewho65
After you graduate in the good ''ol USA, don't you have to take the bar back in England again? I know testing is different in England, so check to make sure that whatever universities you have in mind are willing to transfer those credits.

I know it's easy enough to do it in reverse. My gf and best mate are coming with me to the states after we graduate (that's the plan anyway) to work and both of them are studying law. It's apparently a small enough matter to take the bar in NY, 6 months to a year or studying while working or something. I have to do a small thing to to transfer my Psychology credentials I think, not sure if that's changing though.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Zugunruhe
the SAT is scored from 0-2400. its not that hard, theres just a lot of it. algebra, english, reading skills. im sure its about equivalent to whatever you guys take. i got a 1900, and that was enough to get into university of california, davis, which is a pretty good school. i got rejected from berkeley, but i wouldnt want to go there anyway.

i got rejected from davis this year with a 2250

You can retake the SAT. You have three chances I believe, and after that they just take the average of all your scores. The tests are about once a month.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Last edited by MTVget0FFtheAIR at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by snipelfritz
The SAT and the ACT are pretty similar. Certain schools just tend to prefer one over the other. The advantage of the ACT is that you can take it as many times as you want. I took it the first time and got a 28. The second time I was more familiar with the test and scored a 30. EDIT: Apparently, you can take the SAT as many times as you want.

what school do you go to that has 40,000 undergraduate students?
Quote by Zombee

it depends on where you live and where the college is, some schools only accept SATs while most accept both
Quote by SunDrop

University of Minnesota. Go Gophers! Just kidding, I hate our sports teams. Fortunately, we're building a brand spanking new stadium (thanks to the bailout-supported TCF Bank) for our ****ty football team.
dude, you should do it. you go to a american campus and have a britsh acecnt you cant not get laid.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by Fenderhippie69
dude, you should do it. you go to a american campus and have a britsh acecnt you cant not get laid.

this I would totally go down on a guy if he had a british accent, I don't care if my boyfriend found out or not
If I were you, I'd take both the ACT and the SAT.
I took the ACT, and I got a 26. I should've tried a little harder on it lol.
Honestly, I'd aim for at least a 30 on it. You'll need top marks to get into a good law school.

She dreams in color, she dreams in red.

Quote by josh999x
A guy put a dildo on his head and shouted look i'm a unicorn.

Quote by sg255
Patrick was so slang, but Squidward was a boob waffle.
in the US: you spend tons of money on 4 years of crap

THEN you get to go to law school (3 + years)

in the UK you do a law degree/law conversion course, then either an LPC or BVC (with pupillage) and hey presto you're in the law business. it's cheaper, and you dont have to be 21 to drink.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by Cheesemaster
this I would totally go down on a guy if he had a british accent, I don't care if my boyfriend found out or not

i must say that i second this.

She dreams in color, she dreams in red.

Quote by josh999x
A guy put a dildo on his head and shouted look i'm a unicorn.

Quote by sg255
Patrick was so slang, but Squidward was a boob waffle.
Quote by MoshPitRock
i must say that i second this.

do you agree the accent is really really hot?
A.C.T is less important where I am. But yeah, its scored between 0-36. Just make 30+..but it really depends where you want to go.

S.A.T is the big one here. Strictly required. Im not really sure what score you should get though..cause ours is scored 0-1600 I thought...but everyone else is claiming 2400
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by SunDrop

Hell, we've got 55,000 at UCF.
Quote by handbanana
Quote by wiliscool

**** yeah, thats where im going man
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by Disposable-Hero
UG I need your help.

Basically I'm a British student thinking of applying to a couple of Universities in the US to study Law (and yes I am aware that the American Constitution is different to the British Constitution), and I just need a bit of basic information regarding the S.A.T's and other tests that most uni's require you to have taken to study there, what sort of scores to be aiming for, and a bit about Uni life. Also, I would be very grateful if somebody could give me some sort of indication on the difficulty of these tests compared to the AS/A2 exams taken in Britain.

I used the searchbar and couldn't really find anything of worth, but if there is another thread with all the information I'm looking for please redirect me and I'll close this one.

Thanks.

1. It's fine to do it.
2. Britain, despite being called a constitutional monarchy, doesn't actually have a constitution.
3. Cheese

All of the above must be taken as fact. For I am a Law student.
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
Quote by yellowfrizbee
**** yeah, thats where im going man

Join the group, its in my sig
Quote by handbanana
Quote by yellowfrizbee
A.C.T is less important where I am. But yeah, its scored between 0-36. Just make 30+..but it really depends where you want to go.

S.A.T is the big one here. Strictly required. Im not really sure what score you should get though..cause ours is scored 0-1600 I thought...but everyone else is claiming 2400

they recently changed the SATs to score up to 2400
Quote by Marshmelllow

Quote by wiliscool

40,000 undergrads, over 50,000 total. I didn't include grad students because, unless they're my TA, I don't ever interact with them.

EDIT: Just looked it up, apparently, we're up to 62,000 and are the 6th largest in the US, but that's according to Wikipedia so who knows how legitimate that is.
Last edited by snipelfritz at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by Argonaut
1. It's fine to do it.
2. Britain, despite being called a constitutional monarchy, doesn't actually have a constitution.
3. Cheese

All of the above must be taken as fact. For I am a Law student.

What type of cheese?
I hope it's applewood smoked cheddar. With oatcakes and butter.
Page 1 of 2