hey guys.
im going to be building a guitar soon with either maple or birdseye maple neck-thru (ash body if you must ask) and i question, can i keep it and make it the fretboard like on Strats,and/or can i get some ebony/rosewood then glue it on over as the fretboard? i'd rather keep it a maple neck.

Q2: Can i do a fret inlay with a wood instead of pearl?
like could i get some idk....bloodwood and just inlay the 12th fret with it?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
1: no, you cant use the same exact piece as the neck (not thick enough), however, gluing a piece of maple over it will work.

2: wood inlays kick ass, and are completely do-able.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
1: no, you cant use the same exact piece as the neck (not thick enough), however, gluing a piece of maple over it will work.

2: wood inlays kick ass, and are completely do-able.

why not?
the peice i saw was like 2 inches thick,and my neck on my acoustic (way to thick for soloing lol) with fretboard is a little over 3/4 of an inch a the 9th fret...i think it'd be do-able.
how does fender do it then?

guess what im using for inlays...
well, u need a truss rod, anyway...which requires the fretboard to be seperate. fender glues them on. trust me.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
well, u need a truss rod, anyway...which requires the fretboard to be seperate. fender glues them on. trust me.

skunk stripe down the back of the neck? i know my neck dosnt have the fingerboard glued on, and its all maple.
yes, but then the adjustment for the truss rod has to be at the heel (like vintage fenders). and on a neckthrough, you cant remove the neck to adjust the truss rod.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith

i completely forgot about the truss rod!!!
could i use maple for the neck and birdseye as a fretboard?
that would be kickass to look at and alot cheaper...you can onmly buy rosewood here in 1'' thickness for 108$ lol
and my dad has birdseye flying around...

skunk strip...i think it'd be to risky
yeah, plain and birdseye is fine.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
yes, but then the adjustment for the truss rod has to be at the heel (like vintage fenders). and on a neckthrough, you cant remove the neck to adjust the truss rod.

nah, mine is at the head. i think it would be 100x easier to route it, then glue a fret board ontop, but i can attest that my neck is 1 piece maple, skunk stripe, adjustment at the head.
so the route had to go all the way through the neck up to the fretboard??

that i just find would kill the neck's stability...and thats one thick skunk stripe...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
yeah, plain and birdseye is fine.

really?
well that got soem stress out of my life!