I'm looking into a replacement for my Peavey Bandit for home use.
My price range is around £300.

I play a range of music, inculuding Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Machine Head, Tool, RATM...

Open to all suggestions, but would prefer new over a used amp.
Gibson SG
Ibanez K-7
Vintage (V99 or V100 not sure which!)
Crafter FX-550EQ

Korg Pitchblack
Boss DS-1
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Line 6 HD500
I'm sorry to follow the trend but...

Blackstar HT-5 Combo sits right into your budget.

I've got one (299 quid) and so far it's hit most of those except machine head, I'm uncertain if an overdrive pedal + eq will push it to the high gain territories to sound MHish but it's pretty damn good otherwise I'd say. (I guess it almost gets there but I'm not entirely certain myself...)

I guarantee other people will say the same, almost It's almost as big as the spider III hating contest (im part of that!)

Edit:

People are comparing this thing, and prefer it to amps that cost twice as much to give you a bit of perspective, only thing it's lacking is much demos but there are a few lurking about, take a look at my post in this thread:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19067391#post19067391
Guitar Gear
Marlin 2 Single 1 HumBuggy
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
V-Amp2
Marshall MG10CD - Microwaved
Line6 Spider III 30w - Put it in the oven
Last edited by mansoor.h at Mar 17, 2009,
I've been reading a bit about the Blackstar HT-5's and Vypyr 75 on here for a while now and both seem to be suitable, I just need to find time to go and try a few now!

I'm still open to other suggestions as I want to try a range of amps before actually buying one
Gibson SG
Ibanez K-7
Crafter FX-550EQ

Korg Pitchblack
Boss DS-1
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Line 6 HD500
Roland Cube 60, maybe a used Valveking as 311 said (Although you might want an EQ pedal for that). How much do used 5150/6505s and used JCM800s (which would need a boost) or 900/DSL2000s go for there?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to see what I can find as soon as I get time to check a few shops!
Gibson SG
Ibanez K-7
Crafter FX-550EQ

Korg Pitchblack
Boss DS-1
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Line 6 HD500
Anyone know where I could find and try a blackstar ht-5 in the Manchester area? I had a look around a few places today and found the usual selection of Line 6 and Marshall MG's.

I managed to test a Peavey Vypyr 75 and a Vox (not too sure what model). I wasn't too impressed with the Vypyr as the build quality seemed bad compared to my current peavey... the controls all felt as though they could be easily snapped off, which isn't too good when I have 2 young kids at home!
Gibson SG
Ibanez K-7
Crafter FX-550EQ

Korg Pitchblack
Boss DS-1
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Line 6 HD500
Last edited by Obsolete80 at Mar 21, 2009,
Any more suggestions for me to try out?

I've only ever really used the amp in my sig (seems like I've had it forever!) and am thinking that a tube/valve amp would be more suitable as an upgrade, although I will be keeping the Peavey I already have.

I've had a look into my financial state and found I could probably go up to £400 now.
Gibson SG
Ibanez K-7
Crafter FX-550EQ

Korg Pitchblack
Boss DS-1
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Line 6 HD500
My suggestions remain the same. Maybe a Randall RG50TC might just fit into yer budget.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I should (hopefully) be able to try a valveking 112 tomorrow (found that I can get a new one for around £340), but just thought I'd ask again in case theres anything else worth trying!
Gibson SG
Ibanez K-7
Crafter FX-550EQ

Korg Pitchblack
Boss DS-1
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Line 6 HD500
If you get the VK, swap the speaker.
Quote by Cathbard
Managed to get a Blackstar HT-5 combo today. Just need to find some settings I like now!
Gibson SG
Ibanez K-7
Crafter FX-550EQ

Korg Pitchblack
Boss DS-1
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Line 6 HD500