I use a BOSS SD-1 and I can get great Sex Pistols tones out of it. Unless you're referring to the crap being called punk today, then I have no idea. I also got some good sounds by running the SD-1 through a BOSS MT-2 with the dist on the MT-2 almost all the way down (mainly for use as an EQ/booster).
What kind of punk are you talking about? Older stuff, newer stuff, hardcore, melodic...? What kind of guitar are you playing? Any certain bands which have the sound you're going for?
Not pop punk but like NOFX, Anti Flag, etc. But I play all sorts of punk so a Sex Pistols sound would be good to. I play with an Epi Les Paul studio and a Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
For the old school stuff, I really like my Behringer Vintage Tube Monster - it has a 12AX7 tube in it, and is authentic tube overdrive.

I've been using a Metal Muff of all things for more modern punk when playing my single coils (Strat/Tele), and the onboard overdrive on my Peavey Classic 50 4x10 for my Les Pauls and other humbucker guitars. I use a boutique OD box for a top boost for leads (made by Chris Scott - Scott Pedals).

What kind of amp are you using? I'm a firm believer that your amp's tube overdrive is the best option if you've got a decent tube amp.
Last edited by dzrice at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by Pac_man0123
What amp do you have?

I am about a minute behind the "power curve" on both of my posts so far!
Quote by fenderdude41
Not pop punk but like NOFX, Anti Flag, etc. But I play all sorts of punk so a Sex Pistols sound would be good to. I play with an Epi Les Paul studio and a Fender Deluxe Fat Strat

Definitely a BOSS SD-1, then.