heres the situation:

i finished my clapton strat build a while ago and have been having problems with the volume ever since. It has increased substantially from they way it was before. It seems a lot louder with full vol and no midboost on, than it did without the kit installed and vol full. id say that now 6/7 is as loud as 10 before the mod.
I switched pickups but that was before the boost kit and they were fine, no vol increase or anything.

so my question is, would a bad vol pot (50k) create a significant volume increase?? What would cause a volume increase like that?? or could it be a bad solder joint or something else??? a friend suggested that it could possibly be a bad tube in the amp but i don't think thats likely...

btw amp is an Epi Valve Jr.
"If the blues are a living thing, Charlie Patton and Robert Johnson taught it how to walk; Muddy and Howlin' Wolf taught it to run and Stevie and Eric may have made it rock but it was T-Bone Walker who made it electric."
Last edited by Blackie08 at Mar 17, 2009,
How is more volume a problem?

Also, are you saying you put a boost kit in? Well, erm, the point of boost is for more volume.
Not that kind of boost. Its the Eric Clapton Midboost kit... it is not supposed to boost volume, its supposed to boost the mids and add sustain and compression. ive talked to other people who have done this and theirs doesn't act like mine. they don't have a volume boost, only a sustain/compression boost. and their strats are not any louder than they were before they put the midboost kit in.
"If the blues are a living thing, Charlie Patton and Robert Johnson taught it how to walk; Muddy and Howlin' Wolf taught it to run and Stevie and Eric may have made it rock but it was T-Bone Walker who made it electric."
Oh okay.

I was really confused for a second there.

Did you install new pots with the kit? If the old pots were funky, or higher value, they could've been damping down your sound.
new pots came with kit... old pots were all 250k, for this boost kit the volume has to be a 50k