so basically, if i wanna get a higher/lower sound but can't detune, i could use the octave pedal?
the simple ones i've used, recreate the note you're playing and then play it back one/two/both octaves lower at the same time, generally. AWESOME for some epic sounding single note riffs. but once you start hitting more than one string at a time, you better be careful cuz you'll easily make a mess.

i love them though....
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by JohnIsMyName
so basically, if i wanna get a higher/lower sound but can't detune, i could use the octave pedal?

not quite. i don't think you would want to tune your guitar to drop e, because that would just be pointless. the pedal simply makes this octave to augment your sound. sorry if that didn't make sense.
just check out "marooned" by david gilmour on youtube. that's a great sample of it in action.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Does an octave pedal serve the same purpose as the Octaver setting on my Vypyr? Sounds like a phantom of the opera organ
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Quote by MasterExploder0
Does an octave pedal serve the same purpose as the Octaver setting on my Vypyr? Sounds like a phantom of the opera organ

Kind of
Basically
It takes the note your playing and sends it out along with one thats an octave higher or lower
the original notes still there though
so its not like youre in a different tuning,
its like theres someone else playind along with you an octave above or below you
theyre great for single notes, but chords... not so much
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Satch uses them a lot to emphasize melodies... it can be used for a lot of things

Its nothing like chorus btw...a chorus takes part of the signal and modulates the pitch just a little...almost out of tune if u think of it. An octave pedal takes your signal and lowers it one octave so its like 2 harmonious guitars in one.
or you can get ab octavia pedal. it emphasizes the first harmonic, which is an octave higher than the fundamental
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Think Iron Maiden riffs... That's actually two guitars, but same sound.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
If you want some idea of what an octave pedal sounds like, the main riff on Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes is a guitar using a whammy pedal (which is basically a more spohisticated octave pedal) one octave down.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
so it's like having 2 other guitarist playing the same notes, just an octave lower, correct?
No, it just makes the note you play sound lower or higher depending on how you set it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
No, that's a whammy pedal, an octave pedal will add the higher octave note and/or the lower octave note to the note that you are playing.
It would? I honestly didn't know the difference, I never use the octave setting on my Danelectro. Thanks dude, I'll try it later.
Quote by Cathbard
Octave pedals can sound pretty sweet for chords. Check out the Electro Harmonix POG demos on youtube, they can make your guitar sound like a 12 or 18 string or even an organ.
My Gear:
Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe
Epi Les Paul Special Plus
Seagull S6 Original
Pitchblack>Tubescreamer>Xotic AC Booster

My Band - A Waste Odyssey
Quote by shadow__666
It would? I honestly didn't know the difference, I never use the octave setting on my Danelectro. Thanks dude, I'll try it later.

usually it's used with a fuzz, Hendrix used it a lot, you can hear it a lot on Purple Haze.
It octaves your sound.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by trevh
Octave pedals can sound pretty sweet for chords. Check out the Electro Harmonix POG demos on youtube, they can make your guitar sound like a 12 or 18 string or even an organ.

Awesome o.O
I gotta get me one of those.

I've never used an octave pedal. A pitch-shifter set to one octave lower would sound the same, right?
Quote by toyboxmonster
I've never used an octave pedal. A pitch-shifter set to one octave lower would sound the same, right?

basically yeah

pitch shifter allows more features though, for example the boss super shifter, you can combine with pitches other than an octave, and even use the harmony feature which will generate tones at different intervals instead of just the one you've set
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
it depends what you are asking.

there are really three kinds of octave effects: Harmonizers, Pitch shifters and Octavers.

a Harmonizer does what i says: it harmonizes your note with an artificially produced note. check out the Boss Pitch shifter, Digitech Harmony Man and the Digitech Whammy.

A pitch shifter will raise or lower the pitch of your instrument. depending on what unit you buy, the range can go from two octaves up, to three octaves down. Check out the EHX POG, the Digitech Whammy and the Boss OC-3.

an Octaver is generally a Fuzz with an added octave up. now, this is now automatic. unlike the other pedals, where you just choose your octave and wail away, it only goes an octave up, and it is not achievable on every note, depending on which fuzzbox you use.

i hope this somewhat clarified the situation.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by thedekker
basically yeah

pitch shifter allows more features though, for example the boss super shifter, you can combine with pitches other than an octave, and even use the harmony feature which will generate tones at different intervals instead of just the one you've set

lol I own a PS-5. I've just never bothered to try an octave pedal, 'cuz I figured that's all they did.
So why pay so much for just an octave pedal when a pitch-shifter isn't much more expensive?

EDIT: nevermind. The last guy to post answered my question.
The PS-5 is really cool if you want to do Allman Brothers style harmonies by yourself.
Harmonist mode is the most useless **** I could possibly imagine. I use the Flutter mode almost constantly, make frequent use of the Pitch Shift mode, use the Trem. Arm mode from time to time and the Detune once in a while, but I can't find a use for the harmonist mode. It sounds so...ugh.
Listen to the intro of "Calm like a Bomb" past the little bass riff/whisper part. Listen for the guitar; I believe Tom Morello uses either an octaver or a pitch shifter to get the sliding sound.