I just noticed this on my Telecaster:

A wide gap in between the neck and the body. The neck isn't wobbling or anything, it's still on tight, doesn't move. Is this bad? I tried tightening the screws but it won't go any closer.

Help!!
I got scared it may get worse over time and snap from playing and holding on to it. Or that it would throw off the intonation and tuning.

The gap is huge, I can stick a pick between it.

But as long as it's secure, that's ok?
the bolts are tight against the body?
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
well the best person you could talk to
is where you bought it from and if you live too far away to get it looked at
then just drop them a line
they should know if its bad or not if you describe it to them over the phone
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
the bolts are tight against the body?
Hi. The bolts are tightened as far as they can go on the neck plate. But I do see the screw when I look in between. This is only on one side, the other side looks fine.
Quote by satcre3
well the best peson you could talk to
is where you bought it from and if you live too far away to get it looked at
then just drop them a line
they should know if its bad or not if you describe it to them over the phone
I have a 1 year warranty for repairs and damage through the store I bought it from. I called them and they just told me to bring it in for them to look at. I'll do that this weekend, I'm just worried.
did u take the strings off before tightening the screws? could help.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
Quote by thespian948
did u take the strings off before tightening the screws? could help.

I didn't take them off, but I loosened them very very loosely before I tightened it. They were really slack.

It's a bit better now, but I'll still take it in to the guitar shop.

Thanks guys.
are you sure it doesnt have a shim or something in it? if so then leave it alone if its tight.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
are you sure it doesnt have a shim or something in it? if so then leave it alone if its tight.
It probably doesn't. It's a squire I bought from the store when it was new, and I don't think that it would have had that from the factory setup. From looking at it, I don't think it has a shim.

But even without a shim, as long as the screws are tight and the neck doesn't budge, it's okay, right?

(When I say "okay" I mean, not a life or death situation, the guitar will still work fine)
As long as the neck doesn't move, you're fine.
If you don't notice a change in tuning stability, you shouldn't have to worry. Also, the intonation can always be adjusted at the bridge should you ever run into problems.
It's a Squier, not the best build quality ever.
Ok thanks!!! That's excellent news. I was really scared until now. I thought the guitar was ruined. But it will be ok, that's great to hear.

Thanks
There is no problem. *woosh*
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
There is no problem. *woosh*
haha okay I'll stop worrying about it now.

thanks
they may have found at the factory that the guitar wasnt sitting right in the neck pocket.

or they may have accidentally left some chips or other cast away material in the pocket that's causing the gap with the screws tightened.

this isnt going to "break " anything.

but what it does mean is that there's a chance that the neck isnt straight in the pocket and a result might be fretbuzz that'll you'll have problem getting rid of.

maybe even a neck that sits a little lop sided.

i suggest you take a side shot of the neck in pocket. one with the guitar laying on a table.

see if the same amount of neck is shown on one side if the guitar when compared to the other side.
and that the neck is level in the pocket.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Thanks for that help, jj1565. When I get home I'm going to do that.

From inspecting it yesterday, I have a feeling that it's chips of wood that are sitting in side.
If the gap were on the sides, I'd say "no problem!" but, it is strange that it's at the base of the neck... I'd suggest taking the neck completely off, clearing out any possible debris and refitting the neck on. When you do put the neck back on, I'd suggest using a C-clamp to hold it as tight to the body as possible when you put the screws back in. It seems like a little thing, but... having a good, tight neck pocket will improve sustain, tone and resonance, if your neck isn't sitting well with the body, it's not going to transfer vibrations between the two peices as well.

I'm thinking that the screw holes are just poorly drilled, there's some wood/dust debris in the pocket or it MAY just be that the route for the neck pocket was done poorly and it just doesn't fit right.

If you're not comfortable doing that yourself, take it in and see if they can check it out for you.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
There's probably some gunk/paint runs in the pocket either on the neck half or the guitar body itself. Some people say this affects tone to have something in the pocket like that but it's a matter of opinion. You should be alright though
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
AW, thanks. I thought I already shot his problems down, but you had to come back and be all "Wait, there still is a problem!" Whatever. Post updates, you friggin Squier owner. I've got my Fenders to play with.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.