Page 1 of 2
Hey Squier owners.

I need help. What are the settings/effects you use that make your guitar sound good. If you do have the setting/effects listed in a post remember to include what sound it makes.

I am having a dilema finding a nice tone for my guitar.

Lifelines
RIGG:

Squier "20th Anniversary" Stratocaster
Yamaha FCX720SCA Acoustic
Yamaha Classical CM40
Peavey Vypyr 30 Amplifier
get a guitar not made of cheap wood. thats the secret.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
Quote by Scumbag1792
The problem with your tone is that you're using a Squire.

Epic win. Although it is a little douchey to just say that and not help him any.

It is a true statement that Squier's lack good tone, but the main thing could be your amp. you might want to look at getting a better amp first.
New pickups will help, but i use distortion alot so i use the pedals to influence my tone between bright-->dark and light-->crunch. I usually set my EQ on the amp to Bass-6 Mid-4-6 and Treb-3/4
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
new amp, or new pick ups
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
If you can't afford a fender, which most can't without months of saving, get something other than the peavey RAGe. It(the rage) is the worst of the peavey amps. Try a Crate V5-18-30 etc.

If your guitar just really sucks ass, look at the SX Strats. They're great. Look at Rondomusic.com to find these gems.
In response to my admission of Virginity:
Quote by RPGoof
We're all virgins here, don't worry.
Peavey Rage 158
RIGG:

Yamaha Classical CM40
Quote by Mayonaise 812
well if your good enough to realize your tone sucks its time for an upgrade.

y'think?!
wouldnt surprise me if we were both reported. i got a warning from a mod for calling a kid spoiled. LOL
similar **** here. i just got released today from a thirty-day ban, actually, for telling a kid to take his FUBAR squier and beat a pregnant meth-addict to death with it
What kind of a Squier do you have? If it is an Affinity Strat then turn the tone on the Brdige pickup between 7 and 8 and move the pickup selector to use the middle and bridge pickups on clean tone. It sounds pretty good then. I can't stand having the tone at 10 and only using the bridge pickup, sounds awful.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by Gargoyle2500
What kind of a Squier do you have? If it is an Affinity Strat then turn the tone on the Brdige pickup between 7 and 8 and move the pickup selector to use the middle and bridge pickups on clean tone. It sounds pretty good then. I can't stand having the tone at 10 and only using the bridge pickup, sounds awful.

That's about where I keep mine all the time as far as the knobs go. I fiddle with it a little when I use just neck or middle. Also, a better amp would help.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Depends on what music you play, that'll determine how to adjust your amp EQ and your guitar's tone and volume controls.

But definitely a good amp and new pickups can make it sound pro. Don't believe the haters. When it comes to pure tone, a squier with a good amp and pickups can easily contend with a more expensive guitar. Main differences between Squiers and high end Fenders is playability (which varies on the specific guitars compared obviously). If you were to listen blindfolded, both can sound just as good.
Okay, yes its an Affinity Strat btw,

Im looking at a little 15W Line 6 Amp. 6 Built in effect and you can use two at a time.

Also if I were to buy a new neck and have the Fender logo placed on the headstock will people be able to tell its actually a Squire. Of course I would remove the scratchplate on the back.

Also how much is it for a decent pickup and how much would it cost to get installed?

Lifelines
RIGG:

Yamaha Classical CM40
Quote by eteam_sammy4him
New pickups will help, but i use distortion alot so i use the pedals to influence my tone between bright-->dark and light-->crunch. I usually set my EQ on the amp to Bass-6 Mid-4-6 and Treb-3/4

ignore this comment..

get a new amp..
Quote by LifeLines

Im looking at a little 15W Line 6 Amp. 6 Built in effect and you can use two at a time.

Also if I were to buy a new neck and have the Fender logo placed on the headstock will people be able to tell its actually a Squire. Of course I would remove the scratchplate on the back.

Also how much is it for a decent pickup and how much would it cost to get installed?

Lifelines

omg.. you little poser...

you want your guitar to say fender so you can tell your best buddies it cost 20000 bucks?

get a new amp for god's sake... dont even think of pickups... and ignore the picku p upgrade suggestions because wood plays an integral role in a guitar tone (i know... i upgraded my squier fat strat with a SD sh-4 and it doesnt sound very excellent, just decent)
Quote by LifeLines

Jump out of one hole just to fall into another
No means maybe
I smell a troll, but if not, depending on your budget, get a roland cube or peavey vypyr.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by splamron
I smell a troll, but if not, depending on your budget, get a roland cube or peavey vypyr.

^^^^ new amp, those or a vox valvetronix

i have that same 15w peavey, and really, it sucks SO, SO hard. It screws up the tone of any guitar. Other than pulling in mids, and slowing adding on treble and bass, it is very hard to get a decent tone out of it.
Hi, my name is Aaron

Quote by Scowmoo
You sir, are the definition of Epic Win.

Gear
-Homemade Pine/Blackwood P90 Tele, and few others
- Ceriatone Overtone Special
- GFS Greenie, Pro Chorus, Sparkle Compressor, Pitchblack, Biyang Fuzzstar
^good thinking sir, or the valvetronix
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
my squier has a high output humbucker + high gain + my EQ = my tone

my EQ?

Bass: 6
mids: 7
Treble: 8
Gain: about 8
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
the most effective thing you could do to improve your sound is buy a new amp..

the new vox vt-s sound decent for digital.. but you could steer away and go all analogic like a vox pathfinder or a fender champ (clean/bluesy sounds).. or a blackheart if you got some cash (and want some rock)..

i'd say decide for a sound and get one rig that does that sound for you at the sound level you need = 15w transistor/5watt valve if you play in a small room.
harmony central and youtube will give you an idea, then check the real thing in stores if you can.

judge for yourself, and good luck!
Quote by LifeLines
Hey Squier owners.

I need help. What are the settings/effects you use that make your guitar sound good. If you do have the setting/effects listed in a post remember to include what sound it makes.

Lifelines

The only way to make a Squier guitar sound good is to replace it with a better guitar.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']similar **** here. i just got released today from a thirty-day ban, actually, for telling a kid to take his FUBAR squier and beat a pregnant meth-addict to death with it

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by LifeLines
Hey Squier owners.

Lifelines

Plug it into a decent amp, Squiers sound fine - I've seen plenty of pros gig with them or use them as backups.

The problem is your typical newb Squier owner has an even worse amp and also can't play, however people insist on blaming the guitar for the crappy sound rather than the actual culprits wich are the amp and their own lack of ability.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by zeek7pc
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

overdoing it much? or was that supposed be sarcasm?

either way, thanks.

Quote by steven seagull
Plug it into a decent amp, Squiers sound fine - I've seen plenty of pros gig with them or use them as backups.

Yeah, I mean, Pete Wentz uses a squi......oh wait! we're talking about professionals here. okay, nevermind. completely ignore that

On an off-note, this thread contains so much fail, both on the part of the TS and some of the posters. Job well done
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by LifeLines
Hey Squier owners.

Lifelines

well some squiers sound better than others. for example, jeff healey used to use a squier in his early days and had great tone. i believe his first album was recorded with his squier. im not 100% though. but there are different kinds of squiers, some better than others. the affinity series is decent. new pickups would help a lot.

something you can do with any strat is rewire it so that you have the one tone knob as a master tone OR you can make the middle tone knob for the bridge. thats what eric johnson uses and it helps a lot i find. strats can be pretty bright sounding. i have a squier that im modding right now but before i did, i usually kept the tone knob around 5 or 6 to cut back on the treble. i also set my amps to have full bass, full mids and treble around 6. i also have my mid boost on the amp to add more mids to fill up the sound.

also, i use 12's for strings. ernie ball 12-56. that will help any guitars tone imo. but i like to have a nice big, full, sound. if you have a cheaper squier than the affinity series, then you might want to just get a better gutiar. their classic vibe guitars seem to get good reviews. you might just want to save up for a mexi-strat. ive played some that are better sounding than american made ones.

anyways, hope that helped.

edit: i forgot to mention the amp. you should look into a good amp for sure. if you have a crap amp, even good guitars will sound not that great.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Mar 18, 2009,
Dude, squiers are entry level guitars. The problem with your tone is that you are playing a $99 guitar.

GET YOURSELF A REAL FENDER!
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
Quote by <SpaceTime>
Dude, squiers are entry level guitars. The problem with your tone is that you are playing a $99 guitar.

GET YOURSELF A REAL FENDER!

No, the problem is he has a horrible amp. Replace the amp with some sort of tube/high quality SS, then possibly replace the pickups in the Squire (but only after the first step), and you'll be fine.
Quote by voteforpedro36
No, the problem is he has a horrible amp. Replace the amp with some sort of tube/high quality SS, then possibly replace the pickups in the Squire (but only after the first step), and you'll be fine.

+1
Get a better amp first or at least take your guitar somewhere you can try it on a better amp to see the difference for yourself.
Quote by LifeLines

Lifelines

get a better amp than that. maybe like a roland cube amp or a G-dec would be better imo. honestly, a tube amp would be best but im assuming you cant afford that right now. Eric Johnson uses the G-dec as his practice/backstage amp and he is known to have very good tone and an ear for tone. ive played the roland cube and i was pretty impressed with what it can do. pretty good practice amp.
Page 1 of 2