i'm in a band with a few guys. i'm the rhythm guitarist. i've been friends and in bands with the singer of said band for three or four years. the thing is, he has his head shoved so far up his ass it's not even funny.

he always complains that the rest of the band never writes anything- and this is COMPLETELY untrue. the bassist and i BOTH have written lyrics, riffs, and thrown out lots of ideas and he either shoots them down or ignores them completely. we never get any credit whatsoever for doing anything.

another thing is we've NEVER had a serious practice, because he ALWAYS has something better to do. forensics, tennis, whatever. the rest of us are making sacrifices, and are willing to practice, but he isn't. he has actually said in the past there's no point in us practicing more than twice a month (yes, that says twice a MONTH) because it would "discourage us."

he doesn't want to work on covers, he wants to work on originals only- meaning his songs, mind you.

with our old bands, i've set him down and told him he's just as bad/controlling as the guitarist in our old band he complains about, and he doesn't see it. he and i have gotten into physical altercations because he's so egotistical. i don't think we could kick him out because 1) i'm no frontwoman, i KNOW i can't carry a band on my own, and 2) he'd get all butthurt and whine about "ohh it's my band! you can't kick me out of my own band!"

what should we do? the bassist and i are planning on talking to him, and i'm ready to back cody up if brett says ANYTHING about cody not having the right to complain. what are some specific things we should stress to him? how should we bring them up? would it be worth kicking his ass (again, really.)

i don't know what i'm looking for, i guess just some reassurance that i'm not just being a reactionary dickrag.

no.
tell that twat he's going to have to find a new band. then get another singer, if your band is anygood you'll find a decent if not better singer thats very devoted
Just from a quick read, it seems like he isn't as interested in the idea of the band as a "big thing" as you are, it seems like he's more focused on his stuff more than the band (which he has every right to). I don't really know what to tell you. I'd just talk to him to see what his priorities and stuff are. Good luck!
Quote by RU Experienced?
Well, unless you're playing guitar by thrashing your dick around the strings I see no application of guitar technique to sex.

My band, Two Days In February
if he tries to say "you can't kick me out of my own band!" then you and the bassist should just leave and find some other kids to play with. the ego of one member shouldn't play any role in a band, tell him to go play by himself if he only wants to play his songs.
Last edited by Electric Pluto at Mar 17, 2009,
Talk to him. Without violence.
In response to my admission of Virginity:
Quote by RPGoof
We're all virgins here, don't worry.
Yeah, honestly, even if he's amazing, if you can't work things out, getting a worse singer will be easier to get things to work than with a singer who wont work.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
i gotta agree with both the comments above, it seems he doesn't take it too seriously or wants to do his own thing. Tell him he either needs to buckle down, stop complaining and do some work or he's out. so, i guess IMO i would look for a new singer
I feel I just got through a similar situation. Don't waste your valuable time, the only way to deal with big headed frontmen is to get rid of them as soon as possible. Don't do what I did and f*** around, just tell it like it is, straight up.
Quote by braineater.
what should we do? the bassist and i are planning on talking to him, and i'm ready to back cody up if brett says ANYTHING about cody not having the right to complain. what are some specific things we should stress to him? how should we bring them up? would it be worth kicking his ass (again, really.)

Who the **** is Cody? And Brent?

lol, can you make the Bassist the Frontman? Really do try to kick him out.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
sorry- brett is the douchey singer, cody's the bassist.

anyway thanks, guys.

there's so much more to it than what i posted, it's just a very complicated situation. the bassist and i think that he's dedicated, but he's only going to be dedicated if it means we make it big. he can't grasp that we may never make it out of the basement, he just wants to skip the middle man and be an AMAZING band.

i'm thinking we'll give him a talking to in a civilized manner. if that fails, and he throws a ****fit, then i guess there'll be a band talk and possibly kicking out. and no, i don't think cody would be up for being the frontman (he may correct me on this, but i'm pretty sure).

wish us luck. haha. :\

no.
Quote by braineater.

there's so much more to it than what i posted, it's just a very complicated situation. the bassist and i think that he's dedicated, but he's only going to be dedicated if it means we make it big. he can't grasp that we may never make it out of the basement, he just wants to skip the middle man and be an AMAZING band.

He isn't dedicated if he can't see that there is a lot of hard work in getting a band "amazing" and "big". Fair enough if he doesn't want to put the effort, but get him out the band, because you're just wasting each others time. Do you really want to continue playing with someone who's not really fussed?
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
There is no way to be big without dedication to the pursuit of art. Any one can say they will do thier part when they are on tour with a record deal and a 6-figure a year salary, but of course, in the REAL world, you have to WORK really hard to get there. Really hard. So his "dedication" will never occur unless he gets off his ass and goes to town. This is some serious garbage he's saying. Either he's dedicated to the ideas you guys are working for, or he's not. Simple as that.
It's why I ultimately decided to start singing myself.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I find that vocalists in my area either sing bad or have NO ego whatsoever. Meaning no super-ego. Meaning they just stand around onstage.
Threaten him that if he's just going to act like that kick him out, and if he goes all "You can't kick me out of MY band" then leave. It seems that talking to him is doing nothing, so just move on and find a new singer.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
i say stop Axl in his tracks now hehe
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Practice without him.

Start inviting other people to sing with the band when he's not there. It never hurts to have back-ups anyway.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Guitartist
Practice without him.

Start inviting other people to sing with the band when he's not there. It never hurts to have back-ups anyway.

+1
Get together and write songs that you guys like when he's busy and if he complains about it just say "We invited you, you couldn't make it so we figured we'd work on some music in the meantime.".
If he refuses to do vocals for the things you guys come up with/like then just find someone else to do it.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables