My band teacher is one of these guys that like every type of music, you name a genre and he's got it on his itunes. All the other "serious" guitarists in his class are like that as well. I'm more of a rock genre guy myself. I like some stuff from other genres but not as much as them. Should I try to widen my musical intrests?
Yes. If you don't widen your interests, you limit your future musically.
In response to my admission of Virginity:
Quote by RPGoof
We're all virgins here, don't worry.
If you feel you should then go ahead. Try and relate to genres unfamiliar to your ear, try and find the beauty of different styles. The beauty of music is that it's all beautiful in its own way, you just have to open your ears and listen.
Yes, you should. Look at it like watching only one show on TV all the time. Sure, it may be a good show, but you're really not expanding your mind, vocabulary, or spirit. Also, it would be like having every single day of the week planned and laid out; and consistent with each and every week.

Listening to other genres will get your mind working in ways you never thought possible. Give it a try and you'll never turn back. I mean, look at a group such as the Beatles. You will find nearly every genre of music in their personal style, they ranged from rock, to country, to folk, to orchestral...and look at how successful they were!

Hope that helps.
BASSES

Yamaha RBX270L Custom Fretless
Traben Tribal Sun 5 L
Fender Custom Jazz Bass L

EFFECTS

BOSS DD-7
BOSS OC-3
BOSS RC-2
BOSS TU-2
Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

AMP

Yorkville XM200 Combo
What everyone else has said. Listening to jazz, classical and blues will make you so much of a better rock guitarist anyway.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
The more you listen to, the more you can take in and channel into your own playing. You'll find that the more you listen to those other types, the more you'll start to appreciate and enjoy listening to them. Doesn't mean you have to play all of those genres too.
Quote by The Fret-Dancer
If you feel you should then go ahead. Try and relate to genres unfamiliar to your ear, try and find the beauty of different styles. The beauty of music is that it's all beautiful in its own way, you just have to open your ears and listen.

This is the main thing here. Don't FORCE yourself to listen to things...
Quote by thedarkest5432
Yes. If you don't widen your interests, you limit your future musically.

what he said

depends if you just started or not....when i first started it was all rock for me, but i drifted into other genres outta curiosity and boredom. i got more into jazz fusiony and blues after listening to Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton(Cream especially).

Frank Zappa got me into prog rock and experimental stuff. Santana got me into jazz when i found out the original drummer was a big fan of John Coltrane.

so all together i play in styles of rock, blues, jazz, and experimental.

but rock has many sub genres so really being a rock guitarist can be pretty broad. you could play blues rock, jazz/rock fusion, progressive rock, experimental rock, heavy metal, etc...
'Music is the best"
Zappa
I listen to loads of different types of rock and metal, but nothing else (apart from a bit of Classical).
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

SuperLol'd
Well I basically only like Rock but I do like stuff like Rob Dougan and thats it so
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
Quote by The Fret-Dancer

This.

But of course, you can't force yourself to love something. If that is the case, at least try to look at the qualities that another music genre may offer to people.
Life is Hell
Like whatever you like.. I suppose, wouldn't hurt to be more open minded though. I like every genre of music aswell
I recommend last.fm. Look up what you like, and it'll start to suggest other things that people with similar tastes like. Branch out from there... I found a TON of other cool music on there.

Every type of music has something beautiful to it, but like pop music vs. REAL music, you have to dig sometimes to get to the good stuff. I mean, I don't like rap that much (at least not anything on the radio), but you'd be hard pressed not to find something awesome in the music of Del tha Funky Homosapien, Sol Williams, or Atmosphere. There are some amazing artists out there, go find em!
Last edited by msarro at Mar 19, 2009,