Page 1 of 2
I never buy anything from Guitar Center because I have rarely money, and when I do have money, buying Used is always smarter, but I go in to guitar center from time to time to try stuff out (blank fretboards, ebony fretboards, bigsbies, single coils, etc.)

Last week or so, I went in, and as I was walking towards the counter to ask for a cable to try out some stuff, the guy at the counter yells at another guy playing covers poorly and too loudly on a Les Paul into one of the more expensive Line 6 combos. It went like this:

Hey buddy!
Yes?
You've never had lessons, have you?
(confidently) No, haha.
It shows, bro. You're holding it all wrong, your technique is all wrong...a lot of people try to do that "learn by youtube" thing, and it's cute, but it doesn't help. Get a teacher.

The kid couldn't have been older than 16, and he sort of shrugged the guy's comment off, but I saw him try to go back to playing and he just couldn't so he left.

On the one hand, I feel bad for the kid because he wasn't bragging about being the best or whatever, he seemed to keep to himself. On the other hand, hearing poorly played covers of "Smoke On The Water" can make you want to give your Beretta a blowjob really quick.

I'm still not quite sure how to feel about it. I'm not going to boycott going there, and I don't fear ridicule if/when I do go (I still tried out the things I wanted even after that happened). I guess I'm just wondering if anybody here has had a similar experience/works there and feels this way/etc.
Quote by GorillaSalsa

On the one hand, I feel bad for the kid because he wasn't bragging about being the best or whatever, he seemed to keep to himself. On the other hand, hearing poorly played covers of "Smoke On The Water" can make you want to give your Beretta a blowjob really quick.

ahahahaha
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I remeber one time I went to a small Guitar Center that was so small, you had to ask for a cable at the counter. haha. also, searchbar
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Never witnessed anything like that XD

Its wierd... Whenever I got to guitar center, its usually filled with 15-18 year old's shredding (not porly, but definitely without any emotion or musical taste, it gets old), kids who play sweet home alabama (usually quite well actually), and the occasional old guy playing some blues and hendrix while blowing my mind. not as much of the terrible kids who just learned, walked in, plugged in, and turned the volume up to 10 while playing crazy train, iron man, and smoke on the water...

Thus, I get less lulz, and I end up looking even more mediocre than i already am.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by GorillaSalsa
I never buy anything from Guitar Center because I have rarely money, and when I do have money, buying Used is always smarter, but I go in to guitar center from time to time to try stuff out (blank fretboards, ebony fretboards, bigsbies, single coils, etc.)

Last week or so, I went in, and as I was walking towards the counter to ask for a cable to try out some stuff, the guy at the counter yells at another guy playing covers poorly and too loudly on a Les Paul into one of the more expensive Line 6 combos. It went like this:

Hey buddy!
Yes?
You've never had lessons, have you?
(confidently) No, haha.
It shows, bro. You're holding it all wrong, your technique is all wrong...a lot of people try to do that "learn by youtube" thing, and it's cute, but it doesn't help. Get a teacher.

The kid couldn't have been older than 16, and he sort of shrugged the guy's comment off, but I saw him try to go back to playing and he just couldn't so he left.

I'm still not quite sure how to feel about it. I'm not going to boycott going there, and I don't fear ridicule if/when I do go (I still tried out the things I wanted even after that happened). I guess I'm just wondering if anybody here has had a similar experience/works there and feels this way/etc.

If you feel strongly about that, tell the manager that kid was your brother and get that employee in trouble, lol.
Quote by TehMasterSword

Its wierd... Whenever I got to guitar center, its usually filled with 15-18 year old's shredding (not porly, but definitely without any emotion or musical taste, it gets old), kids who play sweet home alabama (usually quite well actually), and the occasional old guy playing some blues and hendrix while blowing my mind. not as much of the terrible kids who just learned, walked in, plugged in, and turned the volume up to 10 while playing crazy train, iron man, and smoke on the water...

Thus, I get less lulz, and I end up looking even more mediocre than i already am.

At my Guitar Center there are always kids trying to play Canon Rock, and failing like deadfukcs.
it must have been really terrible sounding for a worker to do that... but im not too sure if it is out of line for him to do that, because he might have been trying to help the kid out by saying that, before the kid got laughed at my his buddies for not playing well.
ha i dont mind people at all when they just sit there to try when they either don't know how to play or are beginners but if its people who are ****ty and show off it pisses me off. Like a bunch of poser metalheads wearing their baggy black jeans with chains gay slipknot shirts and the gay emo hair and sucking at everything like guitar, tuning them down to drop z tuning(exageration) and them trying double bass on the drums turning them up really loud and just sounding like ****. But yea kinda mean what that guy said though.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Quote by TehMasterSword

I agree. It's all about showcasing talent with no emotion. Kind of depresses me.
I love going into the acoustic barn because the people who play there are awesome. They play with emotion and just well, awesome. xD

Though, people should show consideration when playing there. ****, I can't hear over 10 while I play.
Quote by bfredder92
ha i dont mind people at all when they just sit there to try when they either don't know how to play or are beginners but if its people who are ****ty and show off it pisses me off. Like a bunch of poser metalheads wearing their baggy black jeans with chains gay slipknot shirts and the gay emo hair and sucking at everything like guitar, tuning them down to drop z tuning(exageration) and them trying double bass on the drums turning them up really loud and just sounding like ****. But yea kinda mean what that guy said though.

lol drop z lmao
Almost every time i go, i plug in and start playing. Everyone around me stops and listens for a moment and tries to out play me. And usually do.
well... my experience is that a went to a local guitar shop, and i was trying a pedal...

when i was satisfied, i plugedd it off and then a guy appears, shakes my hand i says something like "wow! you really play well" and i did not, i was nervous, and i played all wrong, i don't remember if i played smoke on the water, but if i did, i surely did it wrong...

Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by GorillaSalsa
hearing poorly played covers of "Smoke On The Water" can make you want to give your Beretta a blowjob really quick.

sigg'd!!!
Quote by TehMasterSword

true dat, dawg i'm flattered that i'm still in your signature, even after my ban is up

Quote by SnooBag101
If you feel strongly about that, tell the manager that kid was your brother and get that employee in trouble, lol.

true story, actually. I did that for my girlfriend (at the time). she was playing a really nice song on acoustic guitar, and this old drunk ****er (works there, goes by Joe) walks up and rags on her for not using a pick with her guitar and how she's playing only sappy ****. I got in his face, then went to the manager and told him that Joe was picking on my sister and it was really hurting her feelings. The manager asks Joe to come in and just unloads on him. Ten minutes later, Joe walks out and sees my girlfriend kissing me by my car. He's still in the mindset that she's my sister, and he just gave me this really wide-eyed look and went on his way.
a couple of months ago i walked into a music store (Steve's Music, it's canadian) and went to try out a couple of amps as i was finally upgrading my own. I stuck to some simple stuff because to be honest, music stores intimidate me. the employees and other people are always judging you, idk it jsut make sme feel weird in there.

anyways i was playing some solos and did go all that high. i went on higher volumes for a bit just to see then i went back down. well a kid comes next to me, maybe 11 years old, and plugs into an Orange halfstack (don't remember which) and starts playing at probably 8. Now this was actually terrible, it hurt my ears so at the first chance i got i yelled "SHUT THE F*CK UP" he walked away and an employee gave me a thankfully glance.

tl;dr some kids deserve it. if you can't shred don't try it for the first time in a store full of people
Quote by welcom2duhjungl
I agree. It's all about showcasing talent with no emotion. Kind of depresses me.
I love going into the acoustic barn because the people who play there are awesome. They play with emotion and just well, awesome. xD

Though, people should show consideration when playing there. ****, I can't hear over 10 while I play.

Agreed. "wankers" dont usually head for an acoustic. They go for the Flying V's and superstrats.

And it is really annoying when the guy with a LP shreds on a Dual Rectifier on 10 -_-

Quote by bfredder92
tuning them down to drop z tuning

I lol'd.

And yeah Vic, I was just impressed on how you just trashed this one guy who I can't remember in one of your threads before your ban.

Quote by Les Paul57
I stuck to some simple stuff because to be honest, music stores intimidate me. the employees and other people are always judging you, idk it jsut make sme feel weird in there. anyways i was playing some solos and did go all that high. i went on higher volumes for a bit just to see then i went back down

I know what you mean. When I was at Rockin Robin's, I was playing an Orange Combo (a small one), and there weren't many people, so everyone in that quarter of the place could hear me. It was kinda wierd, and I always had the feeling the guys at the counter were paying attention, so I had the volume on like 4. It wasn't loud, but when you feel everyone is listening, it sure feels like it XD
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Last edited by TehMasterSword at Mar 17, 2009,
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
true story, actually. I did that for my girlfriend (at the time). she was playing a really nice song on acoustic guitar, and this old drunk ****er (works there, goes by Joe) walks up and rags on her for not using a pick with her guitar and how she's playing only sappy ****. I got in his face, then went to the manager and told him that Joe was picking on my sister and it was really hurting her feelings. The manager asks Joe to come in and just unloads on him. Ten minutes later, Joe walks out and sees my girlfriend kissing me by my car. He's still in the mindset that she's my sister, and he just gave me this really wide-eyed look and went on his way.

LMAO!!!!!
Quote by Levi79
LMAO!!!!!

Thanks to myself and my friends, I'm loaded with these stories, bro. So are a lot of others on here.
The "guitar center" kid had probably been hacking around half the day, annoying anyone within earshot. I don't feel bad for him. Don't go to a music store and try to learn guitar!!! It drives me ****ing crazy, I can't imagine having to listen to it for 8 hours a day. I'd go crazy as a raped ape.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
THe worst thing is when these fags are playing as loud as they can these gay metal riffs with no musical value other than to piss parents ( and everyone at GC) off. then the guitars are soooooo out of tune cuz theyre dropped to some impossibly gay tuning.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Quote by brownsfan456
THe worst thing is when these fags are playing as loud as they can these gay metal riffs with no musical value other than to piss parents ( and everyone at GC) off. then the guitars are soooooo out of tune cuz theyre dropped to some impossibly gay tuning.

I hate when close minded jerks do nothing but complain about people playing metal in drop tunings. Also good job sounding completely ignorant by saying gay in the wrong context. Game.Set.Pwnt.
Guitars
BC Rich Deluxe Series Warlock
Schecter Devil Custom

Amps
Crate GX900-h w/ GX412S cab

Effects
Boss NS-2
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Korg Pitchblak
Obviously not a very good salesman, if everyone jelled at 15 year olds playing bad covers, the stores would go bankrupt.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Quote by brownsfan456

I absolutely hate it when I'm there playing something with a semi-complex picking pattern (She-Wolf verse) to warm up and there's a guy on forums ripping on me because he thinks metal is all about drop tunings and loudness.
Quote by shredfest116
I hate when close minded jerks do nothing but complain about people playing metal in drop tunings. Also good job sounding completely ignorant by saying gay in the wrong context. Game.Set.Pwnt.

Bitching at another guy's bitching does NOT equal pwnt. If you honoestly thik he is reffering to anyone and everyone that plays in drop tunings, you are easily the biggest dumbass/hypocrite/closed minded idiot to troll these boards in a while. He is clearly reffering to the idiots who DON'T know how to play metal well, and sound like idiots playing on 11 at guitar center.

THAT would be game, set, pwnt.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
It's a Guitar Center: there are going to be people playing poorly, so it's kind of useless to complain about it.

As for the Salesman, I kind of wish they would do that more often.

But in all honesty, it annoys me when people someone gets the most expensive guitar in the entire store, plug it into at least ten effects, plug that into the most expensive amp in the store, and then start creating the most horrendous noise ever heard by Mankind.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
GC and Sam Ash empolyees are overall just ****, I just ignore them.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Ok so once I was at guitar center and I just felt out of place for some reason cause I was all alone at the pedals and this older guy came up to me and asked how long I've been played and how old I was and if was in a band. I said I was 17 only been playing for like 3 years and liked to jam with friends. I'm not that good, I was palying with the MXR Carbon Delay. Was this guy ****ing with me? I had no idea. I just felt out of placed and I was like....why are you talking to me? I don't mind talking to strangers, but it just seemed really weird.
Everytime I go, there is usually someone that is really good, that can shred like crazy. One time I went, I felt like I was the best (i'm not though), and that was cool.
I've never exp. a worker judging a customer like that.
when i worked at a music store, nothing got more tiring than the following:

Crappy MTV pop tune of the week .. in this case it was something by the white stripes
Master of puppets
Assorted slayer songs
The Trooper
Iron man

while the last 4 weren't terrible by nature.. they certainly became terrible when hordes of denim clad rebels against rich parents kids came in, played these as sloppily as possible and then loitered for about 20 minutes talking to me about the glory of metal zones.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
what's wrong with telling the kid to get a teacher? sounds like exactly what he needs.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by RockAddict311
Ok so once I was at guitar center and I just felt out of place for some reason cause I was all alone at the pedals and this older guy came up to me and asked how long I've been played and how old I was and if was in a band. I said I was 17 only been playing for like 3 years and liked to jam with friends. I'm not that good, I was palying with the MXR Carbon Delay. Was this guy ****ing with me? I had no idea. I just felt out of placed and I was like....why are you talking to me? I don't mind talking to strangers, but it just seemed really weird.

it's called courtesy and camaradarie
The first time I ever walked into a guitar center, their were a group of people all dressed in black t-shirts with metal bands on them, all standing around the "head" of the group, I guess you could say. He was playing "Psychosocial" (Slip-Knot) over and over again, but leaving out the solo. After I came in and heard him do this about 6-7 times, a short nerdy looking kid walks in, grabs the nearest guitar + a pick and plugs in right next to the group of guys. They are all laughing at him. Then he turns on the amp and plays one of the most amazing solos I've ever heard, theirs crazy sweep-picking and 4 fingered-multi-string-tapping all over the fret-board. This goes on for about 3 minutes and then when he is done, all the guys are staring at him. He puts the guitar away, goes over to the counter and buys one guitar pick, and leaves.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Quote by JacobLampman
The first time I ever walked into a guitar center, their were a group of people all dressed in black t-shirts with metal bands on them, all standing around the "head" of the group, I guess you could say. He was playing "Psychosocial" (Slip-Knot) over and over again, but leaving out the solo. After I came in and heard him do this about 6-7 times, a short nerdy looking kid walks in, grabs the nearest guitar + a pick and plugs in right next to the group of guys. They are all laughing at him. Then he turns on the amp and plays one of the most amazing solos I've ever heard, theirs crazy sweep-picking and 4 fingered-multi-string-tapping all over the fret-board. This goes on for about 3 minutes and then when he is done, all the guys are staring at him. He puts the guitar away, goes over to the counter and buys one guitar pick, and leaves.

Epic ****, dude.
Most of the time i go to GC everyone sucks. This makes me feel like i am amazing.

Then some super amazing fantastic wonderful kid comes in and ruins my glory
Quote by juniorlbj
Gentlemen...

It's fap time!
Last edited by TheSlashman at Mar 18, 2009,
I hate people like that, luckily employees at places I've been to don't do that. I'd probably say something about it because I hate that attitude.
But the amount of people I've heard (not employees) complain about peolpes playing in guitar shops. It's not a contest dammit! Especially not when trying them out.
I remember one instance where I was with a few friends and I was trying out some Hamers, first time I'd played them, when one of my friends' boyfriend was trying a telecaster custom copy, playing soemthing by feeder or someone, so the girlfriend of this guy just goes "Lame" to me and continues trying to do some tried old stuff on her hip guitar or whatever.

It gets real bad when it comes to insulting their own partner just because of trying out a guitar.
Quote by Kivarenn82
when i worked at a music store, nothing got more tiring than the following:

Crappy MTV pop tune of the week .. in this case it was something by the white stripes
Master of puppets
Assorted slayer songs
The Trooper
Iron man

while the last 4 weren't terrible by nature.. they certainly became terrible when hordes of denim clad rebels against rich parents kids came in, played these as sloppily as possible and then loitered for about 20 minutes talking to me about the glory of metal zones.

That was uncalled for. I do believe that Jack White is a better guitar player than you will ever be though, so in the back of my mind I know it will all be okay .
This one time I was in GC to buy a cable, and there were just a few people in the store. I am a Hendrix fan,and Manic Depression popped up on the songs they had playing, and all of a sudden, this older guy just started playing along to it, solo and all. I thought it was pretty damn sweet.
I'm the guy that always get laughed at. Not by people like you (who always piss me off for laughing at the new players) for not being a good player, but because I'm the guy in there with the Squier through a Fender or Vox playing Dylan, Cash, Carlile, Mayer and my own stuff. Sometimes I play some Weezer or Alkaline Trio, depending on what I'm trying out, but people just don't respect Folk and Country music like they ought to.

Quote by voteforpedro36
That was uncalled for. I do believe that Jack White is a better guitar player than you will ever be though, so in the back of my mind I know it will all be okay .

Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 18, 2009,
Page 1 of 2