Poll: Which amp is best for me?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp is best for me?
Mesa Single Rectifier
15 50%
Mesa Mark I
4 13%
Mesa F-50
8 27%
Mesa express 5:50
3 10%
Voters: 30.
Basically, I've been looking for a lower end mesa for a little while now, and have decided on a few to choose from, thats were you guys come in.
I want your opinions on which of the following amps is best for me

when choosing consider the following:

-I have a 1991 Gibson Les Paul Studio, that will soon have a JB at the bridge

-My styles of music are all over the place, but i play everything from soft rock (lifehouse) to Light Metal (Slipknot) with special emphasis on soft rock and modern hard rock (Chevelle, Sevendust, Tool, Breaking Benjamin ect.)

-I use heavier gauge strings than normal (DR 11 gauge)

- I downtune alot, but 75% of the time its to drop D, and 24% of the time its to drop B

edit: forgot to metion im in a band, so it will need to be able to keep up, though all these amps being a mesa, i cant really see that being a huge problem.
Last edited by son of anarchy at Mar 17, 2009,
budget?

I know immediately that B-52's are supposed to be like cheaper Mesa's but you might be able to get something better depending on budget.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Budget's around $750

already tried to B-52, but the reliability issues turned me away pretty quick, plus the reverb was crap.
Don't get the express. Don't get the mark, even though everyone here licks its balls. For what you play, the single recto would be PERFECT. That thing does modern rock great, and can get heavy or light with ease.

PS The only similarity between a B52 and recto is that they have switchable rectification modes. That's it. Other than that, they sound completely different.
I've never played the Mark I but the Mark III and IV that I've used both had pretty kick ass higher gain tones.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I would defenitly hit up Craigslist/Ebay/Pawn shops or Local Music shops
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by Say Ocean
Don't get the express. Don't get the mark, even though everyone here licks its balls. For what you play, the single recto would be PERFECT. That thing does modern rock great, and can get heavy or light with ease.

PS The only similarity between a B52 and recto is that they have switchable rectification modes. That's it. Other than that, they sound completely different.

to be honest i knew that i wasnt gonna get the express when i put it up here, but the mark? marks are f*ckin legendary for a reason.
A mark IV would be great but will set you back a grand easily.

Grab an F-50 combo. You can snag one for $750 fairly easily, maybe a LITTLE bit more depending. A friend actually grabbed one off craigslist recently for $550...

A single recto is good but its a recto.. it depends on whether you like recto or mark sounding amps. I would get the F-50 because it sounds like a recto but not as flubby and a great clean channel.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

Quote by son of anarchy
to be honest i knew that i wasnt gonna get the express when i put it up here, but the mark? marks are f*ckin legendary for a reason.

Yeah, but honestly I don't think it would fit your style. You can try one out man, but for your style I don't think it's the best.

Btw, pretty sure every band you mentioned uses or has used rectos except lifehouse.
Last edited by Say Ocean at Mar 17, 2009,
Well, it's kind of a tossup. A Mark will probably give you the best all around tone, and amp features and such. A recto will give you really good high gain for your Sevendust and Tool and all that stuff, but the clean is a little crappy and your Lifehouse probably won't sound all that great here. I haven't played an F-50 or 5:50 to comment on either. But, if you're going for a 'budget' and if you're going for ebay or something, the thing about buying a Mark 1, is that you might get some 1977 piece that's a little past its prime and breaks down and such. But, if you got lucky, you could probably score a single rec for like 750 or so.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Last edited by HavokStrife at Mar 17, 2009,
recto cleans are actually pretty damn good. however, I think you'd be well served by an F-50 or DC-5.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I'd say you have a tossup between the recto and the F50

Both have great cleans. Both have enough gain to kill puppies. The difference is the way those overdrive channels sound. Personally, I've never liked the rectifiers series, while I do like the F series mesas. Best bet? Try them both and decide for yourself.

I like the mark I, but it's a high gain fender, IE, a low-mid gain amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
would have put the F30 up here, but i really prefer the 6L6 sound to EL84, plus EL84 tend to have some white noise going on.

Chevelle uses a mark 4

Tool USED to use a dual recto

slipknot does use a recto

and on the mesa artist list i didnt even see sevendust, but have been told they use some form of mesa

not sure what breaking benjamin uses
Quote by HavokStrife
A recto will give you really good high gain for your Sevendust and Tool and all that stuff, but the clean is a little crappy and your Lifehouse probably won't sound all that great here.

Recto's have surprisingly good cleans, although everyone seems to just say they're bad since this this is UG and it's a Recto, not a Blue Jr. or Plexi.

The F-Series are muddy and not all that versatile, you'd be better off looking for a used Mesa DC if you were even considering an F-Series.
^Slipknot no longer use any Mesa gear, their new album was recorded entirely with Orange Rockerverbs and Rivera KR-7's.
I do agree though with the toss-up between the F-series and the Single Rectifier. A Mark I was what Carlos Santana played long ago, not a high gain amp in any respects (as said before, like a hot-rodded Fender).
If you even know anybody who has a Rectifier or F-series, see if you can hear it in person and/or try it out, or go to any store near you that carries Mesa gear. Almost every store that sells Mesa has some kind of Rectifier, and as the sound differances between the Single, Dual, and Triple are pretty big, at least the voicing's are quite alike.
Last edited by bowen at Mar 17, 2009,
^Slipknot no longer use any Mesa gear, their new album was recorded entirely with Orange Rockerverbs and Rivera K7's.
QUOTE]

WOW, learn something new everyday, wonderd why thier tone went to ****
Slipknot used Rectifiers?

I could of sworn that Mick has always used Rivera's, and Jim was too until recently when he switched to Orange.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
They never used them for live use IIRC, but have used them for parts in the studio. Just more options I suppose, but from what I can remember they used Dual or Triple Rect's in studio long ago, but not as a main amp for either of them, probably just a filler amp.
Nothing to be noted as something they have ever Used really
EDIT: Twas' Wikipedia who is my friend.

Amplification
Thomson is currently using the Rivera KR-7 amp model and its matching speaker cabinet. The KR-7 is Thomson's signature model amplifier and features his trademark seven logo. It was based on the Rivera Knucklehead Reverb amps that Thomson had previously been using, but the KR-7 was fine-tuned by Thomson and Paul Rivera to capture the punchy midrange and enhanced low-end frequencies that suited Thomson's aggressive, detuned playing style.

Other amplification used by Mick include:

VHT Pitbull
Marshall JMP-1 preamp
Mesa power amp
Carvin speaker cabinet
Line 6 Spider II'

Power-amp, not a Recto for Mick.
Last edited by bowen at Mar 17, 2009,
I can vouch for the Mesa single recto cleans. Its a great amp, it will do just about all the styles you listed. I don't think a Mark I is going to suite your needs. I know that Santana uses one and he gets an awesome sound but I don't think it will do Modern rock and Metal as well as the Recto.
Quote by Morgant
I always wondered, does a DC sound more like a Mark or Recto?

neither?

I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Morgant
I always wondered, does a DC sound more like a Mark or Recto?

They have the characteristics of both the Mark and Recto amps, more so Mark's. The leads are very fluid and articulate like a Mark and can pull off a bottom-heavy rhythm tone, less the compression of a Recto. I'd even say they have better cleans than a Mark, but we're only allowed to talk down on Recto's on this forum, right?
I havn't played any mesa bar the F series, but i may as well say the F's are great if you want a budget mesa. They (apparently) are a bit of a mark and recco love child... but the cleans are really sweet. Some people put the F series cleans up there with fender twin's... so that's something to think about.
I see F series' go very cheap in the US (compared to UK) so id say that or a DC5 would be you best bet.

Mark I might be hard to find, express arent so great for high gain and the recco is a love/hate type amp really, be best to try some out i guess.
I have to completely disagree about the Recto having good cleans, not good at all. I may have thought that for a while until I got the 900, those are good cleans.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.