Hi all!

I have recently purchased a JSX combo second hand. It is in amazing condition cosmetically (which is irrelevant I know) and the clean, crunch and ultra channels are great. But for some reason the Noise Gate and the Master Reverb both do not work what so ever. I play at hi gain then play with the noise gate and nothing happens...the reverb can be at any level and there is simply no reverb. Has anyone else had this problem? Have I not turned something on or turned something off? I hope there is a simple explanation. Only had the amp for 2 days and I'm worried it might be a dud...Please help! Thanks!
Hopefully it is just dirty contacts on the reverb pan. Clean the male and female ends with contact cleaner. If this is digital reverb and noise gate maybe a circuit got fried or something

Also try posting in the JSX/XXX/Ultra thread which can be found in the Gear Collection sticky thread.

^some amps have reverb connected to a preamp tube I believe.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 17, 2009,
Now that I think about it, I don't remember the JSX combo having tube reverb. It's analogue if I remember correctly. In that case, it won't be linked to a preamp tube. Tube amps with tube reverb have a dedicated preamp tube.
Analogue doesn't always = tube. The JSX only has four preamp tubes, usually V5 or V6 is the reverb tube.
double

pulled off of peavey dot com forums.........i think it has a tank.

check all plugs, connections, reverb tank plugs, jacks, cables, tighten speaker screws, etc. Odds are it's something you can find & fix yourself.

Thanks guys...will have a play around with it tonight and fingers crossed I can get one of them working! Any other suggestions would be welcome...this is actually my first tube amp so I'm quite cautious with tinkering too much...is it much of a job to replace tubes myself?
preamp tubes are no problem. Can you count them? They should be short and have aluminum cylinders protecting them.

Also can you check that you have a box at the bottom or top of your amp that has a red and white cable going to it. That is the reverb tank.

You will not hurt yourself unless you start unscrewing the chassis and diving in. You're cool.
Keep in mind that the JSX noise gate has zero clamping ability. It's a noise reduction circuit that only minimizes hiss. It isn't going to act like a NS-2, ISP or MXR.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Keep in mind that the JSX noise gate has zero clamping ability. It's a noise reduction circuit that only minimizes hiss. It isn't going to act like a NS-2, ISP or MXR.

Really? I didn't know that. I thought it was meant to act as a suppressor. Well now I understand why it's not doing what I want. Well I guess I'd better grab myself a Ns-2 or the like! Thanks for clearing thhat up! Cheers!
No problem. The onboard noise reduction is still really nice to have though, because it gets rid of a large amount of hiss that would usually be present with other high gain amps.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION