Hello! I have been looking at buying a Blackheart BH1H killer ant amplifier and am thinking of building something similar instead. I have a few questions. First of all, how much would it cost me to build an amp along these lines (1/2 to 1 watt)? Also, if I were to make the amp, I would like to be able to just use my Vox AC15 amp as the cab, meaning unplugging the speaker and plugging it into the amp that I build. The speaker is 16 ohms/30 watt RMS. I think I would probably build it so it could be plugged into several speakers... say 4 ohm, 8 ohm, and 16 ohm. IDK... it depends on cost. Could I, provided I have the tools, build something for under $80? Anyone have any links to a similar schematic, site, or something you have done? Thanks!

Jeremy

PS: This will be my first time building any sort of gear. I am thinking of asking for the stuff to build from my girlfriend for my birthday. I will be building her an electric kalimba too, so the month of may will have a couple projects in store for me!
Ibanez SZ520QM - Transparent Red
-Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge/Coil-Tapped Pearly Gates in the neck
Synsonics Strat Copy with Hotrails Pickup in the bridge
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Ha! I was looking there. However, it seems their smallest one is 5 watts.
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Quote by Skierinanutshel
www.ax84.com

go nuts!

you have a new sig and pic?

interesting.
███████████████████████████████████
Quote by white99z
Ha! I was looking there. However, it seems their smallest one is 5 watts.

5 watts is pretty small, however if you're set on one watt....

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/NoisyCricket/
Quote by tona_107
you have a new sig and pic?

interesting.

my sig has been going through phases. and i'm gonna change my avatar once the avatar thread does what it does

but yeah, overall change.

and, maybe you can find someone on the ax84 forum who can help with a 1-watt amp?
5 watts can actually be pretty loud if you like to crank it..

check out the tube cricket. its basically the noisy cricket with a tube preamp. 1/2 watt, I think

I've got the parts lying around to build one of my own, but I never got around to it..
Quote by james4
5 watts can actually be pretty loud if you like to crank it..

check out the tube cricket. its basically the noisy cricket with a tube preamp. 1/2 watt, I think

I've got the parts lying around to build one of my own, but I never got around to it..

Wanna sell your parts? I want a 1/2-1watt amp because this is strictly a practice amp for my apartment. It is in a house split into 4 apartments so I need the volume levels to be low!
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
build the AX84 firefly. I think that the killer ant was patterned after it (and the Valve Jr).

I THINK someone at AX84 sells PCBs for it...ask around in the forum.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by white99z
Could I, provided I have the tools, build something for under $80?
Probably not. Transformers are expensive. It'll probably cost that much for the transformers and chassis. Then you need tubes, resistors, pots, caps, diodes, and a cabinet. Figure about $150.

Quote by DLrocket89
build the AX84 firefly. I think that the killer ant was patterned after it (and the Valve Jr).

I THINK someone at AX84 sells PCBs for it...ask around in the forum.
Dunno about the killer ant, but I can guarantee there is little resemblance between a firefly (push-pull, self-split) and a VJ (single-ended output).
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Im building the Firefly at the minute, Im in UK and am building it turret board style (not using the pcb).

Its 1 watt and pretty simple I think, cost for me is about £110 i think, ive had to import some stuff from Germany and America so postage has cost me a bit.

There is some youtube videos of firefly amps, it sounds incredible...
Not for 80$ no. Unless you have a pile of scrap parts to make it from. An OT is gonna be 40$ if you want a good one and a power trans is gonna be close in price. Plus tubes etc, the high voltage filter caps are gonna be 5$ ea. Youre not going to build a tube amp for less than what a vjr or killer ant is going to cost. But if you build 1 it will have better parts than a store bought 1. There are ways to make a 5 watt lower in wattage, pentode/triode switch, VVR. And the speaker set up shouldnt be an issue. A good OT will normally have taps for 4/8/16 ohms.