Hey everone. Ive been singing for the past few years, and have always wanted to learn to play but never shelled out the cash to buy a guitar and such. Im at school now, and cannot do most of the hobbies I usually do, so I wanted to pick this one up. Im looking for a good guitar to learn on. However, I want something a little higher end, so if I progress quickly, I wont be drawn to selling it and buying a different one a year later. I listen to a wide range of hard rock, classic rock, and metal. So I have to go with electric. I am open to multiple designs, except for Fender. No offense to the Fender players.

I already have little Peavey amp and accessories. My budget stops at 500$. I found a used Epi Zakk Wylde LP with a ahrd case for 450$ that I almost bought, but I wanted to get you guys' opinions first.

Thanks a lot
have you looked at Jackson Ibanez Schecter ?
they are fair good for metal
Quote by satcre3

These are all good ideas, or maybe an ESP too?
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
Quote by satcre3

you can get some models fairly cheap as well.

Quote by bombsquadjunky
These are all good ideas, or maybe an ESP too?

meh cheap esp's aren't worth it IMO
███████████████████████████████████
but dont get anything with a floating bridge as they are really confusing and yeahh just dont (:
Quote by tona_107
you can get some models fairly cheap as well.

yeah but you have a lot of room for modding later on.
Smart Pothead and Proud
Quote by tona_107

I agree with this statement, preferring Jackson myself, but if he were looking into a mid priced guitar for metal I figured he should at least try one out.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
satcre3, you are a nublet. Floating bridges are WIN but maybe not for beginners.

They rock if you understand them but don't get one until you know how to play.

And TS, get an ibanez without a floating trem.
dude they are a beginner
did you have a FR when you begun
NO didnt think so (:
just saying they are complicated is all
Fender is realy versital and I think you should at least try one out before you decide to stay away from it. But that is just my opinion.
I have played and Epi Zack Wylde LP and it was pretty nice so for that and a case for $450. Sounds pretty good.
i understand him not likeing fenders
i have never liked them
and i never will (:
i just dont like them i dunno y
I'm going to suggest a Tradition JR Vintage model. It has a lot to work with, Is a good guitar and depending on the store, You may be able to get it for less than $619. I saw one in State College, PA that was $400 (At Rainbow Music.) It has a wider range than most guitars because the humbucker pickup at the neck can be half turned off and on.

http://traditionguitars.com/guitars/jr/jr_v.html

However if you want something different in body shape check this Eastwood Hi Flyer out:

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/

Also when you start learning I'd recommend to try and learn incredibly easy riffs like Planet Claire by The B-52's. Then after that play some stuff in Drop D (Like "Spoonman") Because that will be pretty easy.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Mar 17, 2009,
i dont seem to see the point in making new vintage design guitars
Thats just what it's called... It isn't necessarily a vintage guitar, It has many features I haven't seen on other guitars. Tradition are only like 11 years old as a company.
yeah, I figured I could ge the Zack Wylde Epi and sell it for about the same price with minimal loss if I didnt like it. But yeah, I looked at the Jackson RR3. I havent looked at too many Iboanez or Schecter models yet. What would be a good model for those brands?I dont mind getting anything used either, like I said, I dont mind getting a nice used higher end guitar if that would be better in the long run.
no its just
the design makes them look old and yeah
i prefer modern looking guitars like the Jackson RR30 or the Schecter Revenger

but the rr30 is really hard to play sitting down
i say go try out a Shecter Revenger or a Syn Gates Custom (: if your rich
Last edited by satcre3 at Mar 17, 2009,
I looked at both of those you posted Gargoyle. thanks for the input, I will keep those in mind
You're welcome. I've played both in person and the tremolo (Whammy bar) on the Tradition model was fantastic, It didn't go out of tune and didn't use locking nuts or tuners. On the other hand, The Eastwood was very comfortable to play and I don't use whammy bars much.

Edit: As a tip, Before buying a guitar you should probably check it out in person first. Since this is your first instrument it doesn't really matter but once you know how to play a bit then you should learn how to evaluate a guitar. Right now if you buy one in person just examine it for dents, cracks and scratches.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Mar 17, 2009,
well, I bought the Epi Zack Wylde LP. 450$ for it and a SKB case just seemed too good to pass up, and I can sell it if I decide I do not like it. Plus, I plan on re-wiring every thing and adding 81/85s later on. Thanks for the input everyone!
I wouldnt get the Zakk Wylde LP for playing.You may be able to flip it for a bit more cash, but you want a good amp for actives.How about you look at an Epi Les Paul or Sg, or a Used Gibson.Also, check out a Made In Mexico Fender HSS Stratocaster.
DONT GET ACTIVES!!!!!!

Look at some Dimarzio high output passives. you dont need EMG actives yet
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
im not getting actives yet, i said i was going to wait a while. it has the emg-hz passives right now
No dont. You dont need thenm in a while. Unless you're gonna be giggin with a stack or half stack at loud volumes, they're not that nessecarry (i know its spelled wrong). As i said, l8ter look at some dimarzio passives or bare knuckles pickups.
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
im gonna probbably get emgs becuase thats what comes with the jackson warrior and the rr30 which i want
Ok well if it comes with it, w.e. do what you want, but dont change if they didnt come with them. I have aguitar with EMG's only cause it came with them. I plan to switch to dimarzio at some point.
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10