I'm naturally an eco-picker, as when I started I admired Synyster Gates, and I don't have to think about how to execute patterns when i pick.

Of course I can also alternate pick, but when using 3nps licks i find it involves too much thought when crossing strings, thinking about whether an upstroke or downstroke is next, and it doesn't come naturally. I practice outside picking mainly for string skipping, and use alt.picking for 2nps and 4nps licks competently, as it comes naturally then.

Without any thought, I naturally pick odd-nps licks with economy, and even-nps licks with alternate.

So should I just stick with whatever is natural for me given the situation?
just generally i just start the pattern over if im goin down a string and downstroke, and vise versa if im goin up a string hope that helps. but yeah just stick with what feels natural, practice the other technique because it cant hurt htat you know how to use it, but sure whatever
I say you should do whats natural for you, but make sure you can play both ways cuz like guitarnathan said, it cant hurt to know how to use both
I do this too, but I'm trying to get out of it. I've been led to believe by those guys that swear by alternate picking at all costs that it's a bad habit. No?
So should I just stick with whatever is natural for me given the situation?

I do this too, but I'm trying to get out of it. I've been led to believe by those guys that swear by alternate picking at all costs that it's a bad habit. No?

You have to decide on this yourself, but what's important is that you're informed and that you analyse the strengths and weakness of each technique. Read the sticky for my personal view on things, and do some homework yourselves.

Imho - be able to do a bit of both, and then choose your preference based on the sound it creates.
It's good to practice both.

I almost always economy pick, but there are some songs that just sound much clearer - and are easier to keep in time - when alternate picked.

There really is no right or wrong.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ