The Story:

Ok. My Schecter's truss rod is on the fritz so i don't know how long that bass will be playable and my ibanez is being borrowed. My 5-string dean(my first bass) is also currently borrowed but should be on it's way back soon. But i don't want to play that bass. horrible action and some seemingly incurable fret buzz on the E string. So that leaves me with my 6-string samick for a backup bass. So I take it off the stand and see how well it's setup after sitting around for a while. Some fret buzz but nothing too bad. nothing i can't fix. Then i plug it into my computer's microphone jack(my home practice amp is being borrowed until I get the dean back because my beginner amp is with that person as well) and it's like i have a fuzz pedal plugged in. I figured it's the battery, so i buy a new battery and switch it and still the same problem. so i try the line in on my computer and get nothing at all. not even recording in audacity. I tried my guitar through the both jacks and it's working but the bass doesn't work right. The bass has 1 9v battery and is advertised as having active pickups but since it has a treble and bass boost/cut i imagine the battery feeds that and the pickups are actually passive...unless both run off of one 9v?

The summary:

My bass sounds fuzzy through the mic. jack on my computer and gets nothing through the Line in jack(but my guitar works fine in both) I tried different volume settings on the bass and different eq's(all up, flat, and all the way down) that my bass can offer. All wiring seems fine but there is a ridiculous amount of wiring in this thing. I stopped counting at 15 different wires. don't ask me what they're all for, i have no clue. So, why do you think i get bad sound in the mic in and no sound in the line in? What could be the cause?

Totally lost on this one.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
do your knobs crackle when you twist them?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
. The knobs do not crackle at all. There is no noise through the mic jack unless I play. no hum or buzz so I think that would rule out wiring.

I leant the Dean to my ex's(gf at the time) brother to learn on. It will come back he's a cool guy. still talk to him from time to time. And I leant the Ibanez to a girl who wants to learn bass. Figured I'd give her a month or two with my bass because she's in college and has very little money. Then if she's sure she wants to play she can look into buying one. If I can't figure this out/get it fixed really cheap I may be taking that bass back though. I have to admit, this is the bass I wanted to replace the pickups and electronics in anyway...maybe i should just get it totally overhauled all at once. It would solve the problem and It'd probably cost a bit less than a new bass for backup.

After I get a new bass I was thinking of getting a traben for a backup bass. But that won't be for a while. money's a little short for all that jazz.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Mar 18, 2009,
possibly open it up and make sure all the pots and **** are soldered right.

edit: Woops, you did say you checked the wiring. :P
Computer settings are probably all messed up
I'm FAT!
Last edited by tatatotfolife at Mar 18, 2009,
The Line In/Mic volume on you computer's sound panel is too high, or you have "boost" enabled under "Advanced Settings" on the volume control menu. Make sure 'boost' isn't checked and drop the volume to Zero (not on your speakers), then move it up slowly until it sounds clear. It doesn't take much to distort or overdrive a computer's sound card on Line In/Mic.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I checked the wiring, i even said i did... All connections seem good. Can't really check the ground on the bridge without taking the bridge out. but i did slightly tug on the black wire going through the bass toward the bridge and it definitely was connected to something. I even pulled the pickups out and checked that wire.

EDIT: wouldn't lowering the volume on my bass do the same as lowering the mic in level? Oh well, I'll give it a shot.

Nope. the playback volume was all the way up but that did no good at all.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
first off, if you like Traben, why can't you stick with that as your next purchase?

second, +1 for tato guy.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I like traben. I don't like traben enough for it to be my new main bass. It'd make a great backup but I'm looking higher quality/price range. What I'm saying is I like them a good bit. But I don't absolutely love them...and even if i did get the traben for my main bass that leaves me without a backup bass yet..unless i get two of them. lol

Computer settings are fine. It works with my guitar perfectly. And even if we thought it was some eq thing or higher output. I have checked these and it's not that.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
I checked the wiring, i even said i did... All connections seem good. Can't really check the ground on the bridge without taking the bridge out. but i did slightly tug on the black wire going through the bass toward the bridge and it definitely was connected to something. I even pulled the pickups out and checked that wire.

EDIT: wouldn't lowering the volume on my bass do the same as lowering the mic in level? Oh well, I'll give it a shot.

Nope. the playback volume was all the way up but that did no good at all.

No, lowering the volume on your bass wouldn't accomplish the same thing.

It's not playback volume - it's line in or mic volume. When you open the volume mixer, make sure you go to advanced or edit (not sure which - I've been on Vista for a while) and check the boxes for which inputs you want to display, then you can adjust them. Like before - make sure boost is off.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by Revelation

Computer settings are fine. It works with my guitar perfectly. And even if we thought it was some eq thing or higher output. I have checked these and it's not that.

Beats me.

I've never had a bass overdrive on its own. Usually with pot issues the signal comes across too weak, and a knob wouldn't make it over tax the output. Your sound card might just be sh*tty and not handle lower frequencies (which is what a bass puts out) very well. Take your bass to a shop and play it through an amp. If it's still got the same problem, then worry about it.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
how is the cord?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I had to dig through control panel but i found the boost. it was barely on...turned it all the way down. no change. just quieter. then i turn speakers up and it's the same. Found the mic volume there too. it was set to 6 out of 100. tried turning it up just to see what happened. same problem. turned it back to 6 to avoid this being a problem later on. I still think that since my guitar works perfectly through both jacks that means it's the bass.

It's actually a really crappy cord, but it's the same one i use for guitar and it works just fine for that. The buzz happens in all ranges on the bass. it seems less so in the very top of the register...just like when you play a distorted guitar the low notes seem more distorted.

EDIT: ok strange development. I did try lowering the volume on the bass but as it's quiet to begin with I just notice that the buzzing was still there. guess i was frustrated. What I didn't notice is that the volume didnt' change at all. Even when i turned it all the way down. All the wires are connected nicely so I'm assuming the problem is internal. Hopefully just a new pot will fix this.

EDIT: Ok I was slightly wrong. All the way up is just very slightly louder than all the way down...barely. Still, all the way down should be silent and it clearly isn't.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
I have a cord that distorts my low notes and is clean on the highs. same thing I bet.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

what speakers are you using with your computer? maybe they cant handle the bass.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I used to play my ibanez through my computer speakers all the time. I got logitech 60watt speakers with a subwoofer. It's a problem with the electronics. probably the volume pot as i mentioned above.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
I had the same problem with my schecter. All I had to do to fix it was turn down the volume on the bass to where the sound is clear. Just turn your speakers up more. Hope that helped!
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
someone should really read the part where I mentioned that the volume pot on the bass isn't working right. Even when it's turned all the way down there is volume. and it's still distorted all the way down.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
someone should really read the part where I mentioned that the volume pot on the bass isn't working right. Even when it's turned all the way down there is volume. and it's still distorted all the way down.

That's your problem then. If there is still volume with it all the way down, something is wrong. Your bass should get cleaner through the line in the further you turn its master volume down.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
yup. i mostly just responded to the other guy. Unless getting the pot replaced doesn't fix it I'm pretty sure this thread can die now.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
You need to play it through an amp to know for sure. It's entirely possible that there's some post of conflict between the preamp and the soundcard.
Nope, no sig here.