Page 1 of 2
So on Thursday I'm going to march my happy ass to GC and pick up a Peavey Valveking VK112. I'm going to be flat ass broke but as long as I have a decent amp I'm happy. What I want to know is, am I making the right decision? I'm going to have around $450 hopefully on Thursday so should I make the move? Or save up just a little bit more and get something more awesomer? I play metal/rock/jazz stuff so I'm thinking this Valveking would be the best for the amount of money that I'm going to have, but I'm willing to spend up to $600 on a NICE 50w tube combo amp. Thanks.
The Walking Dead
I thought this was about the movie going by the title....

Well, if you're looking for something of that vein, I've heard the Valveking is a good little amp. It depends on what you're wanting to use it for. The only advice I'd say is save up a bit more and get something gig-worthy for when you're ready...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp?sku=481443

That's a Valveking 2x12 all tube amp @ 100w. Definitely could gig with it.

The other option, as I'm on a tight budget (and have been for years haha) is to go used. I managed to dig up a Peavey XXX 2x12 @ 150w for 500 bucks in great condition.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Is it *really* a good idea to go broke over an amp in this economy o_O
Quote by strat0blaster
I thought this was about the movie going by the title....

Well, if you're looking for something of that vein, I've heard the Valveking is a good little amp. It depends on what you're wanting to use it for. The only advice I'd say is save up a bit more and get something gig-worthy for when you're ready...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp?sku=481443

That's a Valveking 2x12 all tube amp @ 100w. Definitely could gig with it.

The other option, as I'm on a tight budget (and have been for years haha) is to go used. I managed to dig up a Peavey XXX 2x12 @ 150w for 500 bucks in great condition.

Is 50w not enough to gig with?

Quote by Chaos Nil
Is it *really* a good idea to go broke over an amp in this economy o_O

Not really, but for all I know, AIG owes us quite a bit of money.
The Walking Dead
^The fifty watter is more than enough to gig with.

TS I'd save up some more and look used. Used prices are dropping and you're likely to score some sweet deals. The XXX mentioned would be a good amp for your needs. A mesa F/DC series amp, used again. Maybe a HRD and a pedal for metal (not a good route if metal is your main concern), same for the blues jr.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yeah 50W can do gigs - I don't know why I didn't realize it was 50.

Most places mic and/or run through in house, so you should be fine. I bought the XXX cause it was a hell of a deal, but I live in an apartment, so I can't turn it past about 1.5 on the volume without getting complaints.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Wouldn't recommend the Spider. I'm sure you've heard about them here before.....

Diatribe not necessary.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Kevin's right, go used and you could something that could kill the Valveking.

When I played it, it was very mediocre. IMO, if you get one you should you plan on working on it, as in a speaker change, tube change etc., I've heard those do wonders for it.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by strat0blaster
Wouldn't recommend the Spider. I'm sure you've heard about them here before.....

Diatribe not necessary.

...SV and spider are different.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
...SV and spider are different.

Yeah the spider valve was decent if you're into mediocre tone and modeling.

Certainly killed the orignal spider though.

Sidenote: Sorry about your jaw dude, what happened?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by strat0blaster

Diatribe not necessary.

IMO the SV rapes the VK, as does the Classic 30, even for metal

Go used and get the most for you money. For $600 you could probably pick up a Mesa F-50 or DC-5 combo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
IMO the SV rapes the VK, as does the Classic 30, even for metal

Go used and get the most for you money. For $600 you could probably pick up a Mesa F-50 or DC-5 combo.

Well I wouldn't mind getting a Mesa but there aren't any 50w to try out in any music stores around here. Bull**** if you ask me.
The Walking Dead
epic titled thread has not-so-epic content...

on topic: i played a VK back when they first came out, and i had never played a tube amp before, i LOVED it and realllly wanted to save up and get one....i eventually ended up getting a great deal on my randall and got that instead. i went to a local guitar store and played a VK combo they had and it sounded like pure shit in comparison...tone was harsh...it was mediocre...and even though it wasn't cranked, my randall blows it away even with the master volume on .5...

these things need upgraded tubes and speakers to get a real nice tone out of them, stock they sound sterile and ok at best. this is MY OPINION of course, so take it as you will. you CAN get good tones out of them, but it's a job and really, you should just get a better amp. i'd love to tell you to save for a Randall MTS amp, but i do that too much already, so i'll say a Traynor (marshall voiced one) with an OD could probably get everything you want.

rock/metal/jazz isn't very specific these days...we need to know what kind of voicing for each genre you like...and which is the priority. jazz implies super clean cleans, american voiced or SSish. but 'rock' could be along the lines of tom petty AC30 light OD type, AC/DC crunch, light blues dirt like a fender/OD combo...
and metal could be anywhere from Black Sabbath to Megadeth to KSE to BLS...we need to know what specific sound you desire most.

see what i mean? one person's metal is another's rock.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I'm feeling like a broken record here, but it keeps being applicable so I'll keep posting it.

I've got a Traynor YCV50 up for sale. IMHO a much better all around amp, and for $550+shipping I'll include JJ tubes, and it already has a Celestion V30 stock. It's only a few months old, I just got a Vox AC15 that suits me better and don't use it. Something to think about.

-J!

edit: I don't know how much shipping to texas will be, but if it's more than $50, I'd cover the rest. So at most you'd get it for $600 shipped with JJ's and the stock tubes as backups.
Last edited by Nims at Mar 18, 2009,
craigslist, check out your local city. Sometimes there are screaming deals on used stuff.
Quote by strat0blaster

Diatribe not necessary.

Spider III is the ****ty and overpriced one. Spider Valve is the half-assed attempt that sounds pretty decent, but is still kinda overpriced.

And yeah, the Valveking will work great. But you'll probably be interested in an OD, seeing as it'll tighten up the VK (which from my experience is notorius for being loose in the low end).
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Used Peavey Triple or Ultra and new you could always go with a B-52.

Stay away from the VK if your gonna go broke to get it, it takes alot of money to get it were it needs to be.

And the spidervalve is just a spider until you crank her up past bedroom levels then she warms up. So if you want a spider's tone in the bedroom and a decent amp for gigging then you can go with it. But I cant get past the spider tone until cranked.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Used Peavey Triple or Ultra and new you could always go with a B-52.

Stay away from the VK if your gonna go broke to get it, it takes alot of money to get it were it needs to be.

And the spidervalve is just a spider until you crank her up past bedroom levels then she warms up. So if you want a spider's tone in the bedroom and a decent amp for gigging then you can go with it. But I cant get past the spider tone until cranked.

See, I never got a chance to crank it, so... yeah. I'd love to one day though
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Metal/Jazz = B-52 AT-112, 60 watts, all-tube, $360
I play that, and mine was perfect for it (in its price range). It raped the VK I had, the VK I had was worse than my Roland Cube 60. Hell, my Microcube had better dist/cleans.
The day of reckoning is here. So I decided that I'm just going to go to GC and try what crappy selection they have and make a decision on that (as any normal person would) and maybe find a better deal. Wish me luck on my quest to find my perfect combo amp.
The Walking Dead
dude, did you even state what specific sounds you were going for? metal/rock/jazz doesn't really say much, it's too general.

if you go in with the gameplan you've got, you might royally screw yourself. if you're not going to change your gameplan, then i still wish you best of luck.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Having to do tube swaps and a new speaker just doesn't make sense.

Just buy a better amp from the start.
Quote by ch0
Having to do tube swaps and a new speaker just doesn't make sense.

Just buy a better amp from the start.

Like a Traynor with JJ's and a V30.

-J!
So the general consensus here is that the Spider III is sh*t, the Spider Valve is ALSO sh*t, but just a little less sh*tty than the original Spider.... Great...
I still wouldn't waste my time or money on it.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
The Spider Valve is a good amp. It has nice warm tube cleans, only thing is that some find it a bit fizzy for high gain. Personally if I played metal and didn't want to bother with pedals, I'd get one.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
If you're looking for something with decent tone and some fx, look at a Bogner Alchemist.

It's more expensive than you stated you could pay right now, though. If you like it, it'd be worth saving for, IMO.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by slash_rocks2005
dude, did you even state what specific sounds you were going for? metal/rock/jazz doesn't really say much, it's too general.

if you go in with the gameplan you've got, you might royally screw yourself. if you're not going to change your gameplan, then i still wish you best of luck.

Machine Head, BTBAM, Lamb Of God type stuff for metal. Eventually I would like to get an amp with monstrous cleans and get an A/B box for a jazzy tone

And today I stumbled upon a used ValveKing 100w head for $350 and I put it on lawaway, but if I find something more awesome for a little bit more $$$ then I'll just get that instead. We'll see.
The Walking Dead
do you have a cab to go with that vk head? never turn it on unless it's plugged into a cab
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by thelonelywaffle
Machine Head, BTBAM, Lamb Of God type stuff for metal. Eventually I would like to get an amp with monstrous cleans and get an A/B box for a jazzy tone

And today I stumbled upon a used ValveKing 100w head for $350 and I put it on lawaway, but if I find something more awesome for a little bit more $$$ then I'll just get that instead. We'll see.

Okay so lets start over. I'm looking for a good quality combo amp for around $400 ($600 tops). I would like to have a tone that is similar to bands like Opeth, BTBAM, Machine Head LoG etc... What would you recommend? Keep in mind that the selection I have around here is somewhat limited. It's nearly impossible for me to find any sort of Mesa/Boogie, Laney, good quality Peavey or other awesome brands. But feel free to list any suggestion you have.
The Walking Dead
Last edited by thelonelywaffle at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by thelonelywaffle
Okay so lets start over. I'm looking for a good quality combo amp for around $400 ($600 tops). I would like to have a tone that is similar to bands like Opeth, BTBAM, Machine Head LoG etc... What would you recommend? Keep in mind that the selection I have around here is somewhat limited. It's nearly impossible for me to find any sort of Mesa/Boogie, Laney, good quality Peavey or other awesome brands. But feel free to list any suggestion you have.

Can you not leave your house or something... Lol

Because theres tons of Mesa, Laney's, Peaveys and other awesome brands well within driving distance of you.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by strat0blaster
So the general consensus here is that the Spider III is sh*t, the Spider Valve is ALSO sh*t, but just a little less sh*tty than the original Spider.... Great...
I still wouldn't waste my time or money on it.

The general consensus is also that 95% of this forum hasn't even played the amps their bashing
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The general consensus is also that 95% of this forum hasn't even played the amps their bashing

so what about the 5% of us who HAVE played them, and still hate them?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by thelonelywaffle

Like I said, look at B-52's, then spend the extra money on your choice of either an OD boost, an EQ pedal, a retube, or a speaker change.
Quote by Holy-Diver
so what about the 5% of us who HAVE played them, and still hate them?

+2

To the OP of the "you all don't play said amps" post - don't make stupid assumptions. I've played every amp I talk about.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
buy used! you don't have to buy new gear! if you find a good deal, mesa dc-5's and f-50's are readily available, and would probably be about the closest you can get to those tones. it's called craigslist...or ebay...or that thing that 311 has in his sig...

edit: forgot to mention that every guitar amp i own i purchased used
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by strat0blaster
+2

To the OP of the "you all don't play said amps" post - don't make stupid assumptions. I've played every amp I talk about.

Well then, welcome to the 5%

I've played the Spider Valve. Decent at best, way overpriced.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Page 1 of 2