I have a PRS CE-24 and a Line6 Spider Valve Halfstack with mesa cabinet and im looking to get that choppy reggae sound brad from sublime gets. I put the clean channel on with the built in reverb and doesnt quite sound like it. Anyone help me get this tone? Thanks.
Does the Spider Valve have a Roland Jazz Chorus mode?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
Does the Spider Valve have a Roland Jazz Chorus mode?

This, I heard he used JC's.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
no actually he used a mesa boogie triple rectifier. i heard rectifiers dont have good cleans either...
Quote by hidden132
no actually he used a mesa boogie triple rectifier. i heard rectifiers dont have good cleans either...

I don't know much about Sublime, but for some reason I highly doubt he used a Recto.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
yeah they didnt used rectos...he used jc chorus for cleans and a jcm800 for his dirt...and also that choppy clean sound has a lot to do with technique too
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
yeah ive seen live videos and its a triple rectifer alright. Hence the lyrics in one song, " Im a triple rectifieing ass son of a bitch"
alright I won't argue if it's in the lyrics and all that.

But regardless he probably used a JC-120 for cleans, and maybe the Triple Rec for distorted tones.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
He probably got a Triple rec after he hit it. Probably bought the china white that ended him with the same check. I have a feeling he didn't use a triple rec his whole career since they weren't popular their whole career.

Edit: When I mean popular, I mean the band. Point being, they probably weren't raking in the cash to buy things like triple rectifiers. heroine is expensive don't cha know?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by Kevin Saale
He probably got a Triple rec after he hit it. Probably bought the china white that ended him with the same check. I have a feeling he didn't use a triple rec his whole career since they weren't popular their whole career.

Also a good point.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
The early Sublime records (everything up to their self-titled), Brad used Ibanez guitars (not sure which models) and a couple of custom built gats, a JCM800 and Roland JC120 run together (800 for gain, JC for clean). I know he used a Boss OS-2 from time to time, but not sure about the rest of his pedals.

For recording Sublime, some of the dirt parts were with a Recto, others with the JCM800. The JazzChorus was still used for cleans.

This is what I think (on the second part). I am 100% on the early stuff though.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Jazz Chorus and a JCM 800

With your amp. Set it clean. Use a short slap-back delay to get that reggae vibe.