Is there any way to do it. I dont have sucg a great ear, so whats the best way to achieve half-step down tuning with an electronic tuner?
It really depends on what type of tuner you have. If it is a diatonic tuner than it is only designed to show if you are in tune with certain notes.

If you have a chromatic tuner, it will show you when you are in tune with every note.
Make it between D# and Eb.....

Depends how good your tuner is.

My tuner only does standard tuning <_< so I have to tune everything by ear, and estimating distances.

(Eg; Make it so it says its borderline sharp D or a really flat e... chances are you'll only get to see the flat e, it wouldn't say its d for a while unless you have a good tuner)

So tune everything flat, thats a half-step.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Instead of tuning the open strings, fret (or capo) the 1st fret and tune that way. That way, you're in standard with the capo or whatevr, but when you take it off you're effectively down a half step.
Ibanez S520EX ~ Roland Cube 30X ~ Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm
press the b button. or play the e string and the d string and tune down until you don't hear anymore wavering
Most tuners should have a way to do this, if it's a chromatic tuner then it will be the next note down while detuneing, if it's a basic tuner then there should be a button that has a flat note on it, hit it once for a half step down. If you are in E then you do this it will still show E on the readout but it is Eb
Quote by tigerking615
Instead of tuning the open strings, fret (or capo) the 1st fret and tune that way. That way, you're in standard with the capo or whatevr, but when you take it off you're effectively down a half step.

Ignore this post I'm retarded....

*der, you'd tune down if you were a half-step up and tuning DOWN to standard...

I epicly failed

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
get a chromatic tuner. muuuuch much easier
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by ihavenoname93
get a chromatic tuner. muuuuch much easier

This may I recommend a Korg?
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by tigerking615

Wait, why wouldnt this work? To my understanding, one fret is half a step, and If you are holding it down on first it will sound to high pitched, so you will need to tune it lower than it needs to be, then when you let go, it's down half a step.
Quote by Lethal Dosage
This may I recommend a Korg?

And I have a Korg, it is one of those tuner/metronome combo's, and it was quite expensive. I read through the instruction manual yesterday, and it could do a lot of things, but i didnt see anything about alternate tunings.
the capo would not work cause the strings are locked into place tuning down wouldnt let the strings move, fret the strings 1 at a time on the first fret and tune them to standard when they are fretted, let go of the strings and you will be half step, than if you want standard capo first fret
Wait, important bit of news.

Yesterday I was playing and trying to figure out why the 6th string sounded of, even though my tuner said it was a perfect E. I looked again, turns out I had tuned it to Eb. So, I think it can recognise when you want to tune a string sharp or flat.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Wait, important bit of news.

Yesterday I was playing and trying to figure out why the 6th string sounded of, even though my tuner said it was a perfect E. I looked again, turns out I had tuned it to Eb. So, I think it can recognise when you want to tune a string sharp or flat.

If its expensive it should be chromatic so it should say that
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Lethal Dosage
If its expensive it should be chromatic so it should say that

Whats the difference between chromatic and the other one?
In english please, im not so good with guitar terminoligy, or according to my spelling, english either.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
And I have a Korg, it is one of those tuner/metronome combo's, and it was quite expensive. I read through the instruction manual yesterday, and it could do a lot of things, but i didnt see anything about alternate tunings.

Just look up what the tunings are for each string in those alternate tunings. If the tuner outputs the note of each string, just aim for the new notes. If you want C tuning, instead of matching up the tone for E-A-D-G-B-E just go for C-F-Bb-Eb-G-C on each string respectively.
guitar
amp

some pedals
Last edited by tegrenath at Mar 18, 2009,