Lately I've been really interested in a good chord progressions and how they can be used to match the emotions your going for. I'd just like to make this thread so people can post some of their favorite progressions, in chord or degree formation.

one of my favorite is:
VI II IV I
or
G#m C#m E B

And if no one is discussing it, can someone please suggest a database or list of chord progressions, or a good site for chord progression theory (not wikipedia)!
Yamaha-APX700 Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone-Les Paul standard Electric
I don't think theres a topic on this.... but I like this idea... although the progressions and chords will sound different to people.

I made a progression that was mean to sound mysterious, but I've had people call it sad, angry, happy, and in 2 cases 'that makes me horny'.....

I can't remember the progression but

Capo on 2nd fret:

Relative to Capo:

Em, CM, GM, DM

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
I have to say that there is two parts to your question. One is the emotion of progressions, and one that is the emotion from the key you are in. For example the key of Cm and Dm if i remember right are "Sad".

I use this site to help me find my chords that are part of whatever progression.
http://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/chords-key-c.html
thats III I V II, and the chords are C but with the capo they are in D.

EDIT: Whoops, im dumb, in major it goes VI IV I V, and the chords are in G Major/E Minor and with the capo they are in A Major/F#m.
Last edited by kellan6 at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by Chaos Nil
I have to say that there is two parts to your question. One is the emotion of progressions, and one that is the emotion from the key you are in. For example the key of Cm and Dm if i remember right are "Sad".

I use this site to help me find my chords that are part of whatever progression.
http://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/chords-key-c.html

not exactly, because Dm and Cm are the same as F and D#, and I know you make make happy or sad out of those scales. I find it more of, if start on the minorVI chord, it tends to sound sadder, but starting on the majorI chords it sounds upbeat.
Quote by kellan6
thats III I V II, and the chords are C but with the capo they are in D.

With the capo its F#m.

The Em goes up a whole step to F#m.

The CM goes up a whole step to DM

The GM goes up a whole step to AM

The DM goes up a whole step to EM

F#m, DM, AM, EM

It's in the key of F#m.

Normally the progression is in the key of A Major if I remember correctly...

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Quote by Invokke_Havokk

It's in the key of F#m.

Normally the progression is in the key of A Major if I remember correctly...

oh wow, im stupid, I read my scales wrong. got confused with DM and Dm.