Hey I Like to use my distortion effects rather than the tube amps distortion. I have noticed the distortion sounds best at low volume through my cab. I want to play at very loud volume but it starts to sound very muddy. Will an attenuator help? Can I set my amps master volume at 2 (where it seems to sound best) and crank the attenuator up for my volume, or does this not make any sense?
Attenuators make the amp quieter, not louder. They let you get poweramp saturation at low volumes.
FACEPALM, at that entire thing.

and technically yes that might work, but there's more problems to worry about than that.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
FACEPALM, at that entire thing.

and technically yes that might work, but there's more problems to worry about than that.

No it wont work. He wants to make the amp LOUDER.
The smallest level of attenuation will just be as loud as the amp is. An attenuator just makes your amp quieter.
One answer... No. Forget about the attenuator.

BTW, attenuate is the opposite of amplify.
If you want power tube saturation at reasonable levels (not bedroom) it will help... but you wont be using your distortion.

What amp are you using?

Are you cranking the Pre gain when going louder with your distortion? If so, keep your pre low and use the post, see if that helps.
que'?...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out