I am about to make a new gear purchase and have decided on a Mesa Dual Rectifier.
I currently own a Krank Revolution 1+, but have decided that it isn't for me.
Although most people tend to go for the classic head/cab combo, I was thinking about going completely rack.
There are a few reasons I'm considering this, but mainly I think it would probably give me more control and it would be easier to maintain and carry my gear around.
This is a very likely option for me at the time, because although I really want a Mesa Dual Rectifier, they also offer a pre-amp version (recording pre-amp, actually) of this amplifier.

My question is, what do you think I should do... or what would you do?
Would you buy the Mesa Dual Rectifier head, or would you buy the Mesa Dual Rectifier Recording Preamp?
If I get the Preamp, I plan on running it through a VHT G-2902-S Two/Ninety/Two Poweramp.
With this, I love the fact that you can switch between 60 and 98 watts of power.
That would be very convenient for me, using low power (60 watts) while practising at home and high power (98 watts) while playing live.

But I'm wondering most, which would sound better? Or would they sound relatively the same?

Anyone with experience with any of these products, or preamps/poweramps in general who could potentially point me in the right direction, your feedback would be very appreciated!

Thanks.
It would sound different (the rack version). Hard to say if it would be better or not, but probably not worse. Having a rack is a great idea incase you ever decide to get another pre-amp for the flexibility. If finances allow it, I would go the rack direction.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
well i would go triaxis.

but to answer your questions go with a preamp, because your VHT poweramp should be legit.
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Dr.Pain, I was thinking the same thing actually! If I go with the preamp, I can always add in other preamps as I go, for a load of flexibility. Maybe a JMP-1 or something. It could be pretty cool! And it should be simple and quick to switch them up. But it's hard to say whether it would sound better or not. Or whether it would sound "as good". That's what I'm trying to figure out! I really want to go straight-up rack, but the sound is in my best interest and if I know it won't be able to touch the dual rectifier head, I'll probably end up getting that.

And I will look into the Triaxis and Racktifier as well and see what I think!

Also, I will add that volume was a big issue with my Krank, since the thing sounded terrible unless it was on 5. I'm afraid that is going to happen again. When I'm just practising at home, I like to play at pretty low volumes, but I hate getting the tone sucked out when doing so. Switching the power to 60 watts on the VHT in such a simple way sounds very very appealing to me!
Last edited by JeremyShredz at Mar 18, 2009,
Regarding the sound - VHT poweramps are held in very high regard. They are considered some of the best poweramps out there, so I doubt that this combination would sound any worse than the Rec head. I wouldn't worry about this very much.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
[quote="
Also, I will add that volume was a big issue with my Krank, since the thing sounded terrible unless it was on 5. I'm afraid that is going to happen again. When I'm just practising at home, I like to play at pretty low volumes, but I hate getting the tone sucked out when doing so. Switching the power to 60 watts on the VHT in such a simple way sounds very very appealing to me!

youll be suprised the volume drop isn't enough to switch amps alone. Its is only 4 -db i think maybe 3. But i am fairly sure pre amp/power amps do a bit better job of holding up at lower volumes. the head alone will need to be attentuated probably,( i hear mesa double and triple recs sound like poo at low volums the bass anyway)

^^^
above poster is correct

and sorry for the worng part being bolded, dunno why its doing opposite of what im inputting
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Last edited by Krzy8 at Mar 18, 2009,
Makes sense!
So hard to choose though.
I wish I could try both, but I have to get whatever I decide on ordered in because the stores here don't carry them regularly.

I found a video of a guy on youtube who uses this setup (Well, close. The VHT is a 2:50:2, not a 2:90:2) and his tone sounds surprisingly good and similar to what I am looking for. Again though, it is hard to tell, because he is also using a tubescreamer, sonic maximizer, and TC Electronics G Major. I'm assuming the G Major probably has a lot of input on that sound. But I'm not too worried about that, because I plan on picking one of those up in the distant future, or something similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGlAfUqEXF8
Last edited by JeremyShredz at Mar 18, 2009,
well ill put it this way, in the long run the rack is the way to go, you can add many things to it and well nifty for recording.
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
If you had posted a week ago, I could have sold you my Soldano SP-77 preamp.

But anyway, go rack if you're going to get a VHT poweramp, those things are teh sex0rs. If I had $3000NZ, I'd have bought one and completed my rack setup.

Plus, as you mentioned, the extra versatility is cool.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
So I looked into the Triaxis and I am very very impressed.
I think I may actually like that one more then the dual rec preamp.
But Im guessing its probably a lot more expensive too though, right? haha.
dude the mesa pre-amps were designed for recording OR for use with mesa power amps. not that there is anything wrong with the VHT. I tried a daul rec head + cab and I didn't think it sounded bad at low volume at all. I would suggest getting some kind of one channel class A power amp. there is no need to get the VHT. the VHT is a full rackmount head by itself. I just think another guitar amp on top of the the pre-amp is kind of pointless. your not going to sound the same when you plug your pre-amp in direct for recording. go check out a carvin quad preamp. thats what you want. for all the money your spending and the sound your after I would also suggest axe-fx. axe-fx is like a full rack of effects (g-major etc) AND mesa tripple rec amp models and cabs. you can go direct in to record and you can go into the house PA when you play live. its no cheesy line 6 bull**** either. they start at $1500.
The first time I ever went to record with my band, the producer had a rack amp that he said, "can produce the tone of any Mesa amp on the market."

I'm pretty sure this was the TriAxis.

Don't flame me if I'm wrong though, and note that I didn't say that, the producer did.

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

Quote by JeremyShredz

If I get the Preamp, I plan on running it through a VHT G-2902-S Two/Ninety/Two Poweramp.
With this, I love the fact that you can switch between 60 and 98 watts of power.
That would be very convenient for me, using low power (60 watts) while practising at home and high power (98 watts) while playing live.

Thanks.

I assure you that you will notice very little difference in volume between the 60 watts for "home practice" and 98 watts.

Quote by fullsailstudent
dude the mesa pre-amps were designed for recording OR for use with mesa power amps. not that there is anything wrong with the VHT. I tried a daul rec head + cab and I didn't think it sounded bad at low volume at all. I would suggest getting some kind of one channel class A power amp. there is no need to get the VHT. the VHT is a full rackmount head by itself. I just think another guitar amp on top of the the pre-amp is kind of pointless. your not going to sound the same when you plug your pre-amp in direct for recording. go check out a carvin quad preamp. thats what you want. for all the money your spending and the sound your after I would also suggest axe-fx. axe-fx is like a full rack of effects (g-major etc) AND mesa tripple rec amp models and cabs. you can go direct in to record and you can go into the house PA when you play live. its no cheesy line 6 bull**** either. they start at $1500.
This is a great suggestion, though I would rather run the AxeFx through a quality power amp and cab than direct into a PA.