technical enough to have a recording contract.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
lol I like to listen to them sometimes, however they honestly arent that amazing. They are VERY sloppy. They admit to playing each part of a song up to 30 times that way the can put it all together in protools. Herman Li in my oppinion, is a great guitarist, but Sam is just an annoying alcoholic who they need to get rid of >.>
Quote by Deep*Kick
technical enough to have a recording contract.

I like DragonForce but this is a bad reply. Greenday and Fall out boy also have recording contracts.
Quote by jackofclubs
lol I like to listen to them sometimes, however they honestly arent that amazing. They are VERY sloppy. They admit to playing each part of a song up to 30 times that way the can put it all together in protools. Herman Li in my oppinion, is a great guitarist, but Sam is just an annoying alcoholic who they need to get rid of >.>

Can a df song be covered by a single chap with a harminozer?
Quote by jackofclubs
I like DragonForce but this is a bad reply. Greenday and Fall out boy also have recording contracts.

agreed. as do Panic At The Disco
anyways I'd say that most of the technical bands arent mainstream enough and thats why they have problems getting gigs/deals
IMO their studio albums aren't that bad. At their live performances though it sounds nowhere near as good (for reasons already mentioned) and they do sound very sloppy.

Thing is that being technical doesn't mean that you cant make good music. Sometimes simple things just sound good. Like for me I actually like Panic! At the Disco. They have catchy music and stuff.
One of the big selling points of music today is "something you can move to." That means dance, headbang, rock back and forth. A lot of music can do that but some just do it better. Some dance would make you want to...get up and dance, some metal and rock makes you want to thrash or headbang, some of those melancholy songs make you sway slowly.
So yeah, I dont get why they trash bands for not being "technical." I think that they get bashed on because people who know nothing about music think they are the best thing ever and that they are way more than they really are. Saying Dragonforce is the "Best band ever" because they "Play faster than anyone in the world" is just ignorant of playing music. Like I really hate how the standard of "Being good at guitar" means playing Through the Fire and Flames... especially when the original artists dont play it perfect -_-
alright lets be realistic here, the guitar work in dragonforce is very fast, and even without being innovative or technical enough to impress guitar fanatics, its still difficult to play and perform for audiences. in that respect, they deserve some credit as guitarists.

but as musicians, technically, 'musically', they pretty much suck in my opinion.
Quote by Chaos Nil
IMO their studio albums aren't that bad. At their live performances though it sounds nowhere near as good (for reasons already mentioned) and they do sound very sloppy.

Thing is that being technical doesn't mean that you cant make good music. Sometimes simple things just sound good. Like for me I actually like Panic! At the Disco. They have catchy music and stuff.
One of the big selling points of music today is "something you can move to." That means dance, headbang, rock back and forth. A lot of music can do that but some just do it better. Some dance would make you want to...get up and dance, some metal and rock makes you want to thrash or headbang, some of those melancholy songs make you sway slowly.
So yeah, I dont get why they trash bands for not being "technical." I think that they get bashed on because people who know nothing about music think they are the best thing ever and that they are way more than they really are. Saying Dragonforce is the "Best band ever" because they "Play faster than anyone in the world" is just ignorant of playing music. Like I really hate how the standard of "Being good at guitar" means playing Through the Fire and Flames... especially when the original artists dont play it perfect -_-

Agreed to a certain extent. Just because you can play fast doesn't automatically make you the best guitarist out there. However, I still don't like stuff that's too simple. Music is supposed to be technical-it's been that way for the past 300 years. Listen to any classical period or baroque period piece, and you'll get me. And I don't like too much catchiness either...it feels as if it was made that way so lots of people would like it. Which is why I don't like TTFAF much.....too catchy for a Dragonforce song. Revolution Deathsquad was better.
Quote by voodoochild23
alright lets be realistic here, the guitar work in dragonforce is very fast, and even without being innovative or technical enough to impress guitar fanatics, its still difficult to play and perform for audiences. in that respect, they deserve some credit as guitarists.

but as musicians, technically, 'musically', they pretty much suck in my opinion.

I'm a DF fan, but I kinda agree. Their solos are so long, they set me off to sleep. And DF songs are a bit too repetitive.
Quote by GS LEAD 5

NO FLAMES!!!!

You wrecked that bit by bringing dragonforce into the conversation.

"Through the fi-re and the flames we caaaarry ooooooon!"
THROUGH THE FIRE AND THE POLITE DISCUSSION ABOUT A SET TOPIC WE CARRY OOOOOONNN!

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?
Last edited by Magero at Mar 18, 2009,
Dragonforce amused me when they said in an interview that there new previous album had been major chord based, wheras this new album was major chord based, I think they're ideas are a bit over simplified there, in order to make an effective album I think you should have a mixture of songs/sounds/ideas to give variety, in that statement they made they've proved that having all this technical skill to do things with there melodies/rhythmns/chord sequence, just has really paid off on the song writing front

but yeah they have one or two good songs, which are worth listening to
Yeah, they aren't technical, they just shred like madman on their albums.

EDIT: They apparently suck live, but I watched a video recently and it seems that they improved but still their songs just don't appeal to me and I'd have to agree with TS.
No i think that they do have some technical skills, its just not paid off for them really
and yeah i've heard many reports about them being bad live

oh and Jack Of Clubs, why do you reckon Hermans good and Sam is overrated?
I'm interested becuase I think Sam is the better guitarist and Herman claims far too much credit
Because Sam can't play for shit live.
After seeing them, I can confirm that Herman can shred his nuts off, while Sam just gets drunk and struggles to keep up.
They're not that fast and technical really, people just think they are 't3h hardest musicz0r evaaa 2 pl4y' because TTFATF is in Guitar Hero..
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by jackofclubs

You're missing the joke, he meant they're not technical
When I first heard Dragon Force I really didn't like them but everyone else thought that they were awesome. They have next to no structure. Yeah they do play better than me, but that is just the speed talking.
Dragonforce have fine structure, what the hell are you talking about?
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.