Would these chords fit together for a song as I m not sure if they sound right?

Verse: Cminor, E, F#
Pre-chorus: B
Chorus: Gminor, E, F#, B
G, Em, F# and Bm

seems the song is in Em or G, so i would also recommend to play C instead of Cm and in pre-chorus Bm instead of B. You can even try to let the verse resolve more to E by playing an Em, G or Bm after the F#. But hey, that's only my opinion man...
Last edited by deHufter at Mar 18, 2009,
Ok, so some of the chords mean it doesn't fit into one key exactly, but so what?
If you like the sound they're making and you can write a good melody to go with it, then it's right.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by deHufter
Which is hard to imagine...
Pass!
No guitar here at work
404: Sig not found.
Quote by deHufter
G, Em, F# and Bm

seems the song is in Em or G, so i would also recommend to play C instead of Cm and in pre-chorus Bm instead of B. You can even try to let the verse resolve more to E by playing an Em, G or Bm after the F#. But hey, that's only my opinion man...

That's completly changing his song lol
Quote by deHufter
G, Em, F# and Bm

how could you say the song is in Em when there is an EM and F#M and than a BM leading to a Gm (if it was in Em, the BM would have strongly resolved to Em).

think before you speak
Quote by ouchies

*being dramaqueen*

read before you whine...

I said if i were him i would throw the chords around a bit fitting Em or Gmaj cause the Cminor, Emaj and F#maj just sound horrible. That was his initial question, do the chords fit, my opinion is no and i explained why.
Verse: C#min, EMaj, F#min
Pre-chorus: B Maj
Chorus: G#minor, EMaj(A C#min might sound nice here too), F#Maj, B Maj

Maybe try that? It will keep the same progression you have while not making it too diatonic but not too...scattered
you could make it work.

if you want you could mess around with others suggetion
BUT i dont think you'd be fine if you didnt
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Quote by deHufter
read before you whine...

I said if i were him i would throw the chords around a bit fitting Em or Gmaj cause the Cminor, Emaj and F#maj just sound horrible. That was his initial question, do the chords fit, my opinion is no and i explained why.

no, what you did was completely change his song.
so the guitar is in tune if all the keys are lined up guys: )
You are not your job.
You're not how much money you have in the bank.
You're not the car you drive.
You're not the contents of your wallet.
You're not your fucking khakis.
You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
Quote by deHufter
read before you whine...

That doesn't make sense at all. The song has NO pull to either Em or G maj, seeing how he uses an E MAJOR and a G MINOR. Just because you learned a nice little chord progression today (which is diatonicly incorrect anyway since the F# should be an F# diminished chord going by your suggested keys) and you want to make yourself feel smart doesn't mean you should try and teach things.

Furthermore, you changed basically every chord he had there. You just wrote him a new song entirely.
Quote by JakdOnCrack
That doesn't make sense at all. The song has NO pull to either Em or G maj, seeing how he uses an E MAJOR and a G MINOR.

*sigh*

Im not gonna explain it again...

Quote by JakdOnCrack

which is diatonicly incorrect anyway since the F# should be an F# diminished chord

Who's trying to feel smart mate?

Like you have to be diatonically all the way Just flip-flopped some chords, no big deal, get over it and play TS' chords on the guitar and you will notice you have to something about it.

Quote by JakdOnCrack

Furthermore, you changed basically every chord he had there. You just wrote him a new song entirely.

A BETTER SONG!
Last edited by deHufter at Mar 19, 2009,
Thread starter needs to learn how to cadence...
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
Thread starter needs to learn how to cadence...

Thread starter needs to be more clear of what he wants to achieve.

He asks "do these chords sound nice" without knowing what melody accompanies it, or how it's played, we have no direction.

You have 100's songs with the same progression and some sound good and some don't, so asking if the progressions sounds "nice" does not help us in helping TS.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Dude, looks like it's in B major to me...Judgding by the B E and F# But then C minor and G minor wouldn't go in that key...
Meh You said you're not sure if they sound right, and personally, when I'm not sure, I don't just shrug and say 'It'll do', I get of my arse and make it better.

Try using C# Minor and G#minor.
Quote by deHufter
*sigh*

Just flip-flopped some chords, no big deal, get over it and play TS' chords on the guitar and you will notice you have to something about it.

I'm not arguing that TS's progression doesn't sound. i'm just saying that what you did didn't offer improvements to his song, you just came up with something entirely different.
Quote by jacko_17
Would these chords fit together for a song as I m not sure if they sound right?

Verse: Cminor, E, F#
Pre-chorus: B
Chorus: Gminor, E, F#, B

If they don't sound right.... they don't go together. (at least in this situation..... it's your music, it should sound good to you regardless of whether or not it's "theoretically correct").
shred is gaudy music
Could you tell me some songs to listen to that have the chorus starting with G#minor so I can see how they go in to it?
Cheers
You don't need to listen to just ones in G# minor, listen to any song in a minor key and look at the progression. Use your ears. What sounds good?
What chords would you recommend personally before a G#minor chorus if the verse was a C#minor, E, F# progression?
Thanks
Quote by jacko_17
What chords would you recommend personally before a G#minor chorus if the verse was a C#minor, E, F# progression?
Thanks

I think you need to learn your keys.

Check this site out
http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/Tutorials/1four5/music-theory/key-chord-chart/key-chord-chart.html

Pick a key, and experiment with the various chords from that key to figure out what works and what doesn't.