I have booked studio time for late June. The plan is to record the guiatr and bass parts at home onto Sonar via POD farm, and write the drum parts on Sonar. I talk to thw studio engineer every now and then, he doesnt gat back to me often as he is busy in the studio but he did say that all the files should have no fx on them, Im guessing by this he means chorus, delay, flange etc. But, does that mean I have to record all my distorted guitar parts clean???? or I can record them distorted but without any of the above fx?? Thanks, M.
No you can record with distortion. It would be stupid for the sound guy to try and add it on afterwards
Right. Use your own distortion, but take all your delays and choruses, etc. out of the chain. Guitar processors are one thing. Studio processors are another. Chances are, if you want those fx, he will have much better ones for the studio.

This struck me as funny, though.... you're going into someone else's studio, but not using real drums? Is that an artistic choice, or a choice of necessity?

If it's artistic, then fine. If you want real drums and he is unwilling or unable to accommodate real drums, then I'd personally keep shopping. (or can you not hire a drummer?)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
for your distorted guitars, are you miking them? some studios always appreciated if you also record, alongside your mic'd cab sound, a direct sound as well.

something from the line out of your amp directly to the board. with this signal (it'll sound like ass all by itself.. i mean.. REALLY like ass) if for whatever your reason that your cabinet sound is flawed, they can take this direct sound and 're-amp' thru different plugins to give it a sound that'll fit the rest of your sounds.

i guess this isn't really a hint to make your productions better.. but rather to save you some work down the road, and to maybe make the recording dudes job a bit easier.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
depends, he might be talking about reamping the studio, which means you want completely clean takes with no distortion or anything else.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I always record the signal completely clean and add the effects on later with outboard processors or plug-ins. Especially in a pro studio they should have high quality distortion and adding them after youve recorded gives a lot more possilbities to change the character.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
depends, he might be talking about reamping the studio, which means you want completely clean takes with no distortion or anything else.

Yes. This.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
Right. Use your own distortion, but take all your delays and choruses, etc. out of the chain. Guitar processors are one thing. Studio processors are another. Chances are, if you want those fx, he will have much better ones for the studio.

This struck me as funny, though.... you're going into someone else's studio, but not using real drums? Is that an artistic choice, or a choice of necessity?

If it's artistic, then fine. If you want real drums and he is unwilling or unable to accommodate real drums, then I'd personally keep shopping. (or can you not hire a drummer?)

CT

Thanks for the insight. That has put me at rest. I am using the MIDI drums that i write on the drum tracks in Sonar. It is a choice of necessity.

It may seem a bit wierd but I am a student with a tight budget, I dont get a lot of spare cash and I dont get a lot of time to work. Really I am doing this to get myself heard so people can hear the stuff i write and possibly get a band together. The studio is all good.

Check out a track I wrote with a friend of mine here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0or1s6QQDg

It uses the drums from Sonar (I recorded the whole thing using Sonar) and the bass and guitars using Line 6 Gearbox (not a great sound but works good for the purpose of a demo)
The enginner might what to re amp the guitars through a amp
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Sounds quite decent really. Based only on that link, I would hire you as a rhythm guitarist. (subject to the many other factors beyond talent, that is....)

There's not much in the way of lead work there, and it's hard to judge a 'song' without a vocal melody, but as a guitarist demo, it sounds fine.

Which brings me to... if you can do this in your room, and your goal is to market yourself as a guitarist, then why are you doing a demo in someone else's studio where you are going to have to pay for it?

I'd just keep doin' what you're doin'.

Really, as an experienced musician, it is my expectation that any player(s) I'm going to involve myself with will have a demo. No demo = no interest from me. (either that, the player should have a reputation that precludes the need for a demo)

You have one that highlights your abilities. Done, no?

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Mar 18, 2009,
I really see no reason for you to even go into a studio when you can just do it all at home. What were you planning on doing in there, anyway?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite