Hey GG&A,

I recently aquired an '82 Marshall 4010 combo and I'm really digging it. Right now, I have it hooked up to a cabinet and while it sounds uber awesome, I would like for it to sound a little more 'alive' for lack of a better word. I would like the amp to sound a little more open, defined and lively. It sounds like it's muffled under a blanket.

Could it be the cabinet? It's a Marshall 1965a cabinet with Celestions.

The amp has no effects loop so something like a BBE Sonic Maximizer probably wouldn't work.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Is it a new cabinet? You might have to break in the speakers.

Also, try adding some treble/presence. Not sure it has a presence dial though...
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
Is it a new cabinet? You might have to break in the speakers.

Also, try adding some treble/presence. Not sure it has a presence dial though...

It's an old cabinet.

The amp is EQ'd fine. Any more presence/treble and the amp will start sounding tinny and harsh.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's an old cabinet.

The amp is EQ'd fine. Any more presence/treble and the amp will start sounding tinny and harsh.

How old are the tubes? Maybe those need replacing.

*edit*

Old amps love to get cranked too...might just be that it needs to be turned up more to open up.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Mar 18, 2009,
Might be better with a different cabinet or speakers, might also be better with a different set of tubes.
Last edited by whoismilan at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by whoismilan
Might be better with a different cabinet or speakers, might also be better with a different set of tubes.

I was thinking of maybe trying out some new speakers/cabinet. Would you recommened any? Tubewise, I believe the amp has some JJs that aren't too old, mind you I've been playing the amp pretty loud.

Quote by Mark G
How old are the tubes? Maybe those need replacing.

They are about 4 months old.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I was thinking of maybe trying out some new speakers/cabinet. Would you recommened any?

What I would do if you think it's the cab/speakers, is to go to a guitar store, bring the amp, and ask to try it with a few different cabs.

Also, on the subject of tubes, it might also be that the tube bias is not set right.
Quote by whoismilan
What I would do if you think it's the cab/speakers, is to go to a guitar store, bring the amp, and ask to try it with a few different cabs.

Also, on the subject of tubes, it might also be that the tube bias is not set right.

The amp has been biased and cleared by a tech so there are no internal issues with the amp.

Don't get me wrong, the amp sounds good as is, but it's like a rough draft of my ideal tone right now. I would just like to refine it and make it some A+ material as apposed to a pass.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Do you use an EQ pedal?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Do you use an EQ pedal?

I don't, but I have a 7 band around that I could potentially use.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I don't, but I have a 7 band around that I could potentially use.

That may help. Also, do you know what speakers are in the cab at the moment?
a sonic maximizer can run in front of the amp with great success too.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
USE IT NAO.

what's the model of your amp? curiosity ha. an older marshall would make me have a heart attack if i played through one. one day though...

i know what you mean by 'rough draft' of your ideal tone, i finally got to that point when i switched my rm50 to EL34s and rebiased it and changed out my OD module...put the fulltone fulldrive on top of it a couple days ago and i'm just a few pedals away from my own sound. though MY sound isn't much different than your classic 80s hard rock sound...but i don't give a f*ck...

/thread hijack

i would think that a marshall cab with vintage 30s would do that amp the best justice...are you running an OD into it as well? if so, what kind?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
USE IT NAO.

what's the model of your amp? curiosity ha. an older marshall would make me have a heart attack if i played through one. one day though...

i know what you mean by 'rough draft' of your ideal tone, i finally got to that point when i switched my rm50 to EL34s and rebiased it and changed out my OD module...put the fulltone fulldrive on top of it a couple days ago and i'm just a few pedals away from my own sound. though MY sound isn't much different than your classic 80s hard rock sound...but i don't give a f*ck...

/thread hijack

i would think that a marshall cab with vintage 30s would do that amp the best justice...are you running an OD into it as well? if so, what kind?

It's a vertical input JCM 800.

I don't use a pedal except an MXR ZW44 as a solo boost, the cabinet is loaded with Celestion G10M speakers.

Quote by lbj273
a sonic maximizer can run in front of the amp with great success too.

That's good to know! I might have to check them out

Quote by jamesfarr
That may help. Also, do you know what speakers are in the cab at the moment?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
maybe some vintage 30 celestions would make a good difference for you. i hear that speakers have a big impact on your tone, so it's worth a shot. i, myself, still need to swap my Celestion GT12 for a V30...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Boost it and leave it boosted.

I.E. use the EQ as a boost, and the OD as a solo boost.

Boosting works wonders.
imgooley!! who let you out of your cage?! GET BACK IN THE BASEMENT!!! *shakes fist violently*

anyway....

i kinda agree with imgooley, MY standard tone is usually a mid gained jcm style crunch with my fulltone on top of that, giving me a nice thick sound perfect for rhythm and/or leads...nothing wrong with having a pedal on all/most the time if it helps your tone. but if that's the case like it is with me, definitely pick up a daisy chain or something (if you haven't already lol)
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
imgooley!! who let you out of your cage?! GET BACK IN THE BASEMENT!!! *shakes fist violently*

Is this backwards day? No one told me.

If it is, then don't boost it...

This might sound kind of stupid, but has always worked wonders for me.

If the amp is sitting on the floor, its going to sound a little more muffled because the cabs bass response resonates off the floor, causing more boomyness and in effect, more muddiness. Not only that, but the sound isnt going to be aimed at the part of your body that hears it, so again, itll sound alittle muffled.

My number one reccomendation if you havent already tried it is to elevate the cab up, by either putting it on a chair or buying an amp stand. It will tighten up the bass response and you will be able to hear it better. Overall it should sound better, clearer, and crisper.
lol goolz...i'm in a weird mood today...

sounds cheesy and cliche' but i've re-fallen in love...never thought it'd happen to me again...and i've been in a great mood recently.

i'm in love with my gear.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
sounds cheesy and cliche' but i've re-fallen in love...never thought it'd happen to me again...and i've been in a great mood recently.

i'm in love with my gear.

dude, it happens. i only have my palo in my dorm room, and while it's a good amp, it doesn't have the tone or sonic presence that my vtm has. i fall in love with that amp every time i go home. it's a great feeling.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by imgooley
Boost it and leave it boosted.

I.E. use the EQ as a boost, and the OD as a solo boost.

Boosting works wonders.

I'll try this. I'm going to use the EQ as a solo boost though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I'd say turn it up. The "ubertoanz" spot is a lot higher up the volume scale on older Marshall style amps.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I'd say turn it up. The "ubertoanz" spot is a lot higher up the volume scale on older Marshall style amps.

I have it at 6, I think that's plenty loud.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
But have you tried turning it up louder just to see? There are ways of getting loud amp tone without it actually being loud as I'm sure you know. Attenuation, Amp Slaving, Reamping etc.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
But have you tried turning it up louder just to see? There are ways of getting loud amp tone without it actually being loud as I'm sure you know. Attenuation, Amp Slaving, Reamping etc.

I've had it up full blast before. The amp sounds better at 6-7
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I'm gonna say try a different cab. Speakers make a world of difference.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'll try this. I'm going to use the EQ as a solo boost though.

Either way

You run it through a closed back cab yet?
is the 1965 a 4x10? If so, that's why. Marshalls are kind of iffy with 4x10s in my opinion. A JCM 800 and a (preferably matching series) 4x12 are tonal bliss. Perfect distribution of sound. Try to get an old JCM 800 4x12.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
is the 1965 a 4x10? If so, that's why. Marshalls are kind of iffy with 4x10s in my opinion. A JCM 800 and a (preferably matching series) 4x12 are tonal bliss. Perfect distribution of sound. Try to get an old JCM 800 4x12.

It's a 4x10. I think it sounds great, just not really what I'm looking for. I've plugged a plethora of Marshalls into it and they all sounded fantastic. (Marshall 3203, 1987x, 1959,2203,2500, 2266 if you reaaaally want to know )

I want something with less power handling than the 800 cabinets. I think they are rated at 300 watts?

My amp is only 50 watts and I want a little speaker breakup so something 100 watts or lower would be ideal. Like a 1960AX cabinet or something similar.

Quote by imgooley
Either way

You run it through a closed back cab yet?

My 1965 cabinet is closed back.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
probably the cab, I have that same cab, and I'm getting the exact same effect
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
What happened to the stiletto?

Maybe run 2x12 with the 4x10?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
What happened to the stiletto?

Maybe run 2x12 with the 4x10?

She be gone.

I think I might just invest in a 4x12.

Quote by FNAFJ
probably the cab, I have that same cab, and I'm getting the exact same effect

Really? That's unfortunate. The cab is so light it's almost a shame I'll have to get rid of it
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster