i'm thinking of buying the peavey vyper 60 tube amp. however the peavey valveking amps look pretty good as well. im willing to spend up to $500 and i play metal/punk/hard rock. which amp should i chose? thanks in advance
Vk
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
I've only played the Vyper 30 and didn't like it. I didn't really care for the VK until i put a pedal in front of it. Thought it was pretty good after that.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I think the Vypers are EXTREMELY over-rated. Look for a used 5150 combo or even a classic 30.
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
The Vypyr is an all in one solution. If you want the same flexibility in a VK you will need to buy pedals, which adds significantly to the price. You need to factor in the price of a Sampera pedal with the Vypyr. You are not going to be able to stay under $500 if you include the Sampera I on a 60. But you could with the 75. You could stay under $500 with a VK 1x12 and one pedal, but you won't get the variety of tones that you could with the Vypyr.

I don't think the Vypyrs are overrated if you consider what you get for the price. But you should play one and make sure the metals tones are what you are looking for.
I wouldn't go for the valveking, it's not all that great and doesn't really excel in any area. It'll have trouble doing those highgain tones

The vypyr tube 60 is a better option, also consider:
Bugera 333, 333xl, 6260
Used peavey 5150 or xxx
Used Mesa F-series
Line 6 Flextone
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
The vypyr tube is a way better amp than the valveking. I'm not just saying that because I own one. I've never liked modeling amps before this one. But I was looking for something that had the tone of my 6505 in a combo amp that would do a lot of stuff. And this thing is amazing. I'm still impressed with it and had no problems. The valveking just has **** tone.