hi ive been playing for about a year now and theres one thing thats really bugging me that i shoud be good at. Legato i can never seem to get it to sound smooth. any tips?
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
get a metronome and start by playing slowly then progressively play faster.

by the way your "whitty" title is spelled witty, and uhh title.
"yeah, well, you know...

that's just like... your opinion man."

-The Dude, His Dudeness
Count, yes count music is all about counting rhythm
do legato in beats 1 2 3 4
then half beats 1 + 2 + 3 + 4
then triplets 1 an a 2 an a 3 an a 4 an a

By physically saying these numbers, all you have to do is match your hand to it and whola
Quote by Martindecorum
Count, yes count music is all about counting rhythm
do legato in beats 1 2 3 4
then half beats 1 + 2 + 3 + 4
then triplets 1 an a 2 an a 3 an a 4 an a

By physically saying these numbers, all you have to do is match your hand to it and whola

You mean voila?
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
daniel its meant to be spelt wrong lol and thanks for the tips. but how do i get it to sound smooth it always sounds like im pulling off to hard

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Quote by gangsta_rick
hi ive been playing for about a year now and theres one thing thats really bugging me that i shoud be good at. Legato i can never seem to get it to sound smooth. any tips?

There's nothing you "should" be good at - don't ever start thinking that. If you're good at something it's because you practiced it enough and in the right way, if you're not it's becasue you didnt...it's as simple as that.

Also bear in mind that legato isn't a technique, it simply refers to the way you articulate a piece. If you get better at hammer ons, pull offs and slides but more importantly improve your fretboard knowledge so you actually know where to go then you'll get better at playing legato.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
There's nothing you "should" be good at - don't ever start thinking that. If you're good at something it's because you practiced it enough and in the right way, if you're not it's becasue you didnt...it's as simple as that.

Also bear in mind that legato isn't a technique, it simply refers to the way you articulate a piece. If you get better at hammer ons, pull offs and slides but more importantly improve your fretboard knowledge so you actually know where to go then you'll get better at playing legato.

THANK YOU!
Legato is how you play, not a technique that you use. You can't "use legato" but you can "play with legato."

That said, just work on fluid pull-offs, hammer-ons, and slides. Also use a bridge pickup and possibly fingers instead of a pick. That will help give each note have a less harsh attack.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
sorry i thought it was a technique because i was reading it in a magazine and it said something then usually refers to hammering on pulling off. well anyway the reason i made this thread in the first place is because im trying to learn the solo for stairway and the pull offs arnt sounding right to me

Paul Kossoff = Genius