Page 1 of 2
I've come to the realisation that the courses and universities that I've applied for are not what I'm interested in. Is there anything I can do other than take a gap year out and apply again next year.
I was thinking about possibly going onto a philosophy course instead. Does anyone do/done that course? Any other suggestions for what university course might be interesting?
Apply through the clearing process for what you actually want to do?
Quote by david_safc
I was thinking about possibly going onto a philosophy course instead.

Do something which will get you a job.
Quote by UncleCthulhu

Philosophy covers skills which a lot of employers find desirable. I don't know whether to do philosophy, but I know its something I'm interested in and I can't think of anything else I'd like to do really.
Clearing is used by people who didn't get the grades to get where they originally wanted - I dunno how it works but basically you're trawling the unis for spare places, cos not everyone they offered a place to will have got the grades, and some people will just have changed their minds.....so someone who wants to do the course you applied for and were offered a place for could take your place (assuming you turn it down) etc

Presumably you could use it to change courses too...
Last edited by zhilla at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by zhilla
Clearing is used by people who didn't get the grades to get where they originally wanted - I dunno how it works but basically you're trawling the unis for spare places, cos not everyone they offered a place to will have got the grades, and some people will just have changed their minds.....so someone who wants to do the course you applied for and were offered a place for could take your place (assuming you turn it down) etc

Presumably you could use it to change courses too...

Ah I understand. Wouldn't they look at my personal statement, read that it has nothing to do with the new course I've applied for and just reject me though?
Quote by david_safc
Philosophy covers skills which a lot of employers find desirable. I don't know whether to do philosophy, but I know its something I'm interested in and I can't think of anything else I'd like to do really.

Who told you that? Just thinking about something never made anyone any money.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by david_safc
Ah I understand. Wouldn't they look at my personal statement, read that it has nothing to do with the new course I've applied for and just reject me though?
I don't know - I don't know how the process works. Is there a teacher at your college you could talk to? They should know what you need to do.
Quote by Ed Hunter

It says on the university websites that I've looked at, but obviously they may be a bit biased just to get people to go on their course What do you suggest I do at university then?

Quote by zhilla
I don't know - I don't know how the process works. Is there a teacher at your college you could talk to? They should know what you need to do.

I will get on their case later this week and see what my options are, thanks.
Quote by Ed Hunter

He's right though, it's more the fact you have the degree and the communication/logic thinking skills etc to back it up than what's actually written on your piece of paper to a certain extent. That's what employers are after round here anyway.

To TS, I'm doing philosophy at Sheffield Uni and it's amazing! Couldn't have picked a more enjoyable subject. Do what you enjoy because you'll put more work in and find it more rewarding.
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
He's right though, it's more the fact you have the degree and the communication/logic thinking skills etc to back it up than what's actually written on your piece of paper to a certain extent. That's what employers are after round here anyway.

To TS, I'm doing philosophy at Sheffield Uni and it's amazing! Couldn't have picked a more enjoyable subject. Do what you enjoy because you'll put more work in and find it more rewarding.

That's cool. Sheffield was one of the universities I was looking at (Nottingham too). What kind of things do you look at on the course?
Last edited by david_safc at Mar 18, 2009,
Do something that interests you - you've got at least 3 years of it, and its going to be in enough detail to be worth a degree, so if you don't enjoy it you've got no chance. Imho its more important to pick something you enjoy than something that traditionally leads to a career route.

Having said that, there are some degrees that are going to be less desirable, so if you've got say history of art and someone else has maths or science, and you're both going for a techie job, they've got one up on you. But whatever degree you get it still shows an employer you have the ability to learn to a certain academic level, and you can stick at things...
Quote by zhilla
Do something that interests you - you've got at least 3 years of it, and its going to be in enough detail to be worth a degree, so if you don't enjoy it you've got no chance. Imho its more important to pick something you enjoy than something that traditionally leads to a career route.

Having said that, there are some degrees that are going to be less desirable, so if you've got say history of art and someone else has maths or science, and you're both going for a techie job, they've got one up on you. But whatever degree you get it still shows an employer you have the ability to learn to a certain academic level, and you can stick at things...

Yeah my primary objective is to do something I enjoy. Obviously I wouldn't do anything ridiculously stupid like David Beckham studies, but I wouldn't want to do anything like medicine either that I know I wouldn't enjoy, but would get good money out of it.
if you speak to the university admissions office, you might be able to change into the degree you want, as long as you are predicted high enough grades, and they were not oversubscribed

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

Quote by james2112
Philosophy is gay! Na I'm only joking Foxy

Philosophy has a gender now?
Quote by UncleCthulhu

Philosophy will get you a non-specific job exactly as well as any arts degree, shush.

Don't know how it works at your unis, but here you get accepted to the dept and can change your course to any in that department (and often others) when you arrive. ask your student advisors
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Giant Tool
if you speak to the university admissions office, you might be able to change into the degree you want, as long as you are predicted high enough grades, and they were not oversubscribed

I would do that, but I don't want to go to the universities I've applied for. I've decided I want to move away. I limited myself to the same few courses all in local universities like a complete plonker.
Do something useful like get a job rather than wasting your time doing a ridiculous course and getting yourself waist-deep in debt at the same time.
Quote by urbanfox
Do something useful like get a job rather than wasting your time doing a ridiculous course and getting yourself waist-deep in debt at the same time.

It's not very realistic to think you can get a good job without a degree in this day and age, and especially in this current economic climate.
Quote by urbanfox

Well really, he should go to Uni ASAP if he wants to.

Because the fees are going from £3k to anything between £5k-7k..
Quote by Don_Humpador
Well really, he should go to Uni ASAP if he wants to.

Because the fees are going from £3k to anything between £5k-7k..

Last I heard they were just considering it. Is that a fact now? If it is, **** them, its disgusting that we have to pay so much, all the while Scotland are getting it for free. Haggis eating cunts
Quote by david_safc
Last I heard they were just considering it. Is that a fact now? If it is, **** them, its disgusting that we have to pay so much, all the while Scotland are getting it for free. Haggis eating cunts

**** off you prick. Are we hell getting it for free
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by asator
**** off you prick. Are we hell getting it for free

Someone pissed in your cornflakes
I thought the Scots got free uni education, when did they change that?
Quote by david_safc

They haven't, we do. I'm not sure what he's talking about.
Quote by david_safc

well, to be fair, you did just call me a haggis eating ****...
I don't ever remember it being free...i'm not at uni yet, but i know that my cousins in their late 20s had a load of debt from uni...
Quote by meh!
They haven't, we do. I'm not sure what he's talking about.

we do?
"In the academic year 2008/2009 the cost of tuition fees for UK/EU undergraduate students is £1,775 per year, with the exception of medical students, where the cost of tuition fees is £2,825 per year."
that's from the aberdeen uni page...
Quote by asator
well, to be fair, you did just call me a haggis eating ****...
I don't ever remember it being free...i'm not at uni yet, but i know that my cousins in their late 20s had a load of debt from uni...

Yeah, it was a joke lol. Maybe they have debt from accommodation fees?
Quote by asator
we do?
"In the academic year 2008/2009 the cost of tuition fees for UK/EU undergraduate students is £1,775 per year, with the exception of medical students, where the cost of tuition fees is £2,825 per year."
that's from the aberdeen uni page...

The scottish govt pays for your education (that 1,775 is paid for us). You brother will be in debt because of the cost of his SAAS loan (for living expenses), i will have that debt to. But that's not for paying for uni.

Also, depending on when he went to uni he may have had to pay/will have to pay the 2000 fee graduate endowment taht was there for a couple of years.

But yeah, uni its self is free for four years.
Quote by meh!
The scottish govt pays for your education (that 1,775 is paid for us). You brother will be in debt because of the cost of his SAAS loan (for living expenses), i will have that debt to. But that's not for paying for uni.

Also, depending on when he went to uni he may have had to pay/will have to pay the 2000 fee graduate endowment taht was there for a couple of years.

But yeah, uni its self is free for four years.

That's me told then
I wish I'd applied to s Scottish uni now. £3000 pounds is a lot of money. Am I correct in thinking that the filthy English then have to pay that £1700?
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Cal UK
I wish I'd applied to s Scottish uni now. £3000 pounds is a lot of money. Am I correct in thinking that the filthy English then have to pay that £1700?

Scottish universities cost 1775 pounds a year (a normal degree takes four years), you would pay that. If that's what you're asking.
Quote by meh!
Scottish universities cost 1775 pounds a year (a normal degree takes four years), you would pay that. If that's what you're asking.

Holy **** that's a lot cheaper. I bet if the uni prices do go up a lot more people will go to Scotland for uni.
Quote by meh!

Yeah it is I just bypassed syntax and grammar in my question. I'm supposed to be doing English Lit as well, oh dear.
Quote by Ed Hunter

Something to do with coming up with business philosophy/ethic. I thought it was odd too.
NOPE.
Clearing is your best bet, when you get your offers back you'll probably need to decline them all and apply for Clearing. I don't know any more though, I never went through it.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by urbanfox

Before the recession, UK Philosophy graduates were higher on average on starting sallaries and employers considering them as better employees, as shown by the rise of Philosophy graduates who got decent jobs within a year afterwards.

An English degree does pretty much the same thing - shows a range of skills - but would you be so quick to say the same about an English graduate?
Quote by Craigo
Before the recession, UK Philosophy graduates were higher on average on starting sallaries and employers considering them as better employees, as shown by the rise of Philosophy graduates who got decent jobs within a year afterwards.

An English degree does pretty much the same thing - shows a range of skills - but would you be so quick to say the same about an English graduate?

I suspect he be a philistine or has a degree in 'business' or engineering. If it's engineering then he's got my respect
when I applied 4 years ago, I did the same, applied for some subjects that I opted out of later on, I changed my mind around this time in the year too and I went through something called UCAS extra to apply for one more course through the normal means, maybe look into that.

Also, dont listen to what people say, just do a course you enjoy
Page 1 of 2