I was wondering, I am looking for a metal amp and I think the Peavey 6505 is for me.
The thing is, I am wondeing is a half stack WAY SUPER EXTREME over kill for just playing at home. I mean is it even possible to practice without pissing off the neighbors with one of those like in your room? (obviously not using headphones)
possible ? yes. will it sound its best ? no.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Yah you'd be able to for sure. But whats the point if you can't turn it up?
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
If you're only looking to play at home, then yes, it is overkill. Get a smaller combo amp instead.
Unless you feel like soundproofing whatever room you would play it in, which I'm imagining would not be terribly easy or convenient.

The thing's a beast.
i wouldn't bother. you're not gonna get the amp breathing at those levels. you're better off with the combo or just a different amp in general. i don't think anything over 50 watts is IDEAL for exclusive home use, unless you don't have pissy neighbors or have a setup/situation that lets you crank it.

half stacks ARE cool, but most of the time it's cool b/c OTHER PEOPLE see you playing through it...it's not the same if it stays in your home all its life and never performs in front of crowds.

don't get the stack
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
well overkill is in the eye of the beholder

do you live in an apartment, or parents even? probably not a good idea

but if you live on a farm, and can simply set it up in the barn, i dont see why not....wow, that would be killer
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Either get a 212 Cabinent from like Avatar for it, or by the 112 Combo that they just came out with, both eqaully awesome setups for you and if you ever do start gigging both would do you just fine.
I have had mine for a while now with no issue at all just keep the cab off the ground (wheel height is fine), not pointed at your neighbors, dont crank the volume and you should be fine. A combo is worse for neighbor issues in my opinion. Usually open back, which throws the resonance out the back towards the wall vibrating everything. Also some combos are to heavy to get off the ground in most cases.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
well overkill is in the eye of the beholder

do you live in an apartment, or parents even? probably not a good idea

but if you live on a farm, and can simply set it up in the barn, i dont see why not....wow, that would be killer

I live out in the country (16 miles from school...and all my friends ) and when I get my new amp head, you bet I'm gonna crank it!!
I live down stairs and everyone else's room is upstairs
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
so then is there a good sounding combo amp with tubes that is made for metal? I was also looking at the peavey 6505 212 combo but the reviews I read said it was unreliable.
^you'd need to state a specific budget. yes there are definitely amps that fit that bill.

*cough* Randall RM50! *cough*!

if you've got about $1400 (new price that is) to spend...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by JamesIsCool
so then is there a good sounding combo amp with tubes that is made for metal? I was also looking at the peavey 6505 212 combo but the reviews I read said it was unreliable.

A 50 watt amp with 2x12's is going to be no quieter then a 6505 120watt head sitting on a 4x12 cab. The end result is get what you want and what sounds best to you at lower volumes. And in relation the 5 watt Valve Jr with 1x12 I had was to loud but my 6505 with a 4x12 was not. Mainly due to metal you dont really need to crank it to get a decent metal tone out of the amp but smaller tube amps were designed with less headroom in mind so they like to be cranked. Also a side note 100 watts to 50 watts is only a marginal difference.
a 6505+ 1x12 is coming out soon i think.

brand new i think its only going to cost around $600.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
well with $1800 i'm gonna suggest this:

Randall RM50 (one with built in reverb) with 'ultra' module for your distortion channel. as for clean, it'd depend on what kind of cleans you like, how clean they have to be, etc. i use a standard 'clean' module in my amp and it does the job just fine for super clean cleans up to dirty breakup cleans. with your budget you could even afford to get modded modules that have professional level upgrades and just make them 10 times more awesome.

the 1x12 combo with two modules would only run $1400 of that $1800 new, and you'd have plenty left over to upgrade tubes, swap the speaker if you don't like the GT12, and maybe a pedal or two. and if you buy used, you could get the stack version, rack version, etc...

this amp is a beast.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Even the 6505 2x12 is overkill for me. The 1x12 might be a little better. I own a 6505 full stack. I love it for the band but I can't even play the halfstack in my house. To me it doesn't sound good unless it's turned up. Turned down there are better options out there. I play a peavey vypyr 60 tube amp for home use. It sounds just like the 6505. It has the same power section. With the band I use my real 6505. It's an amp made for gigging in my opinion and has great tone when turned up in a band situation and people like it because it cuts through the mix. At home it's just not the best. There are better amps out there for home use.

Theres people here who swear they get good tones out of it below 1 on the volume. Honestly I don't buy it because I know I can't out of mine. I think they just spent the money on it and want to believe it was worth it. It's not if you aren't playing with a band.