As the subject says, do i need an over drive pedal?

I play through a Peavey Valveking 112 and unfortunately, probably even stupidly, play it at bedroom levels. (Before anyone asks i do play live so i needed the extra headroom)

Im finding that my tone is lacking something in the lead channel. Im looking for a more metaly, beefy kind of sound going on with the likes of Killswitch Engage and Lamb Of God.

So is this something an OD can help me with, or is there any other ways?
And if so suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks in Advance!
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at Mar 18, 2009,
I think a Distortion pedal would be better for KSE and Lamb of god. Maybe a Electro Harmonix Metal Muff.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
i'd propably get boss metal zone (or some other metal distortion) since it costs about as much as OD, but i haven't tried OD with VK so i'm not sure :P
Quote by metacarpi
I get called a slut all the time, and I'm a dude.

Overdrive replicates an amp pushed past its 'clean limit'. It will 'boost' your distortion. If you want more distortion, get an actual distortion pedal.
But if it's fine live, then you don't need the OD do you?
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
Quote by Cachao

Its not that its bad live, i just want it to sound good at bedroom levels.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Yes, everyone needs an OD pedal, no exceptions.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Guitar Gear
Marlin 2 Single 1 HumBuggy
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
V-Amp2
Marshall MG10CD - Microwaved
Line6 Spider III 30w - Put it in the oven
Quote by Cachao

well no not really.

An OD can work to amplify your signal even more.

I like using it as a clean boost, or if I really need it ill use it as a treble boster or get some nice fuzz sounds and bring the bass up using the OD's EQ.

Ibanez tubescreamers will really make your amp into a beast.

Anyone who says Vox dosent get heavy enough for some sort of metal, hast tried an OD trough an AC15.

Anyways I recomend the CM-2 tube overdrive by Digitech, its based on the tubescreamer with more options, and is about the same price.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Mar 18, 2009,
od pedal over the distortion channel...tightens it up and makes it smoother....dont get a distortion pedal cause they sound like ****.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yes, everyone needs an OD pedal, no exceptions.

*slams fist*

Man law.

No, but seriously. Whoever suggested the Metal Zone is an idiot. OD pedals have a gain knob too, people!

But yes. As Kevin said. Get one.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by EL2T
Overdrive replicates an amp pushed past its 'clean limit'. It will 'boost' your distortion. If you want more distortion, get an actual distortion pedal.

With the gain at minimum and the volume up at maximum it boosts your output and drives the preamp harder. Most metal players with a VK do this in front of the VK's already overdriven lead channel to boost the gain and tighten up the bass.
An OD would be perfect for you TS.
The Digitech Bad Monkey is normally reccomended for the VK. Good bang for buck.

A distortion pedal might do the trick but a good distortion is more expensive than a good OD.
Quote by Rock Pig
With the gain at minimum and the volume up at maximum it boosts your output and drives the preamp harder. Most metal players with a VK do this in front of the VK's already overdriven lead channel to boost the gain and tighten up the bass.
An OD would be perfect for you TS.
The Digitech Bad Monkey is normally reccomended for the VK. Good bang for buck.

A distortion pedal might do the trick but a good distortion is more expensive than a good OD.

Thanks very much!

And thank to everyone else who has helped
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
If you have enough gain but dont like your tone, I suggest buying a Celestion Vintage 30 because the stock speaker is ****, either that or buy a MXR 10-band. Also try using the dummy-jack thing. I play metal, and when I had a VK (for about 3 days) it had enough gain but the tone was ****.
yah thats another thing.

sometimes people consider pedals and the amp it self but overlook the speaker.

you can always find a good speaker used for 70-90 bucks, good quality to