How long should I go before completely restringing my guitar? 2 months?
Last edited by Rhys.J at Mar 18, 2009,
Depends on the strings, amount that you played and your personal preferences. Replace them when you think they have to be replaced, that's usually once every few months for me.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Hellllllllllllllllll no.

You should be changing them every few weeks. My old guitar teacher actually told me he changes his EVERY week. 2 months of use and you'll have nasty rusty ready-to-break-any-second strings.

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

Depends how much you play, how much you sweat, etc
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Seymour Duncans
Avalon Gold series acoustic
ESP LTD 7-string

Amp:
Marshall 100DFX
Peavey Valveking 212

Effects:
Boss GT-10
Quote by kschaef
Hellllllllllllllllll no.

You should be changing them every few weeks. My old guitar teacher actually told me he changes his EVERY week. 2 months of use and you'll have nasty rusty ready-to-break-any-second strings.

Ernie Ball Elixers last MONTHS.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by S.Y.N.
Depends how much you play, how much you sweat, etc

That is true. I tend to sweat a little when I'm practicing, and when I'm gigging I definitely sweat a lot, which leads to rusty strings.

Still though, after a while, you'll realize the brightness and resonance of fresh strings has faded away. That's when I tend to change mine.

Also, if you break one string, change them all.

EDIT:
Quote by LordPino
Ernie Ball Elixers last MONTHS.

Never tried them. I use EB Super Slinkys which don't last more than 4 or 5 weeks for me.

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

Last edited by kschaef at Mar 18, 2009,
I change them every three months, or when one breaks (which hasn't happened in a LOOONG time).

I use D'Addarios, and they last long enough for me.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
My previous D'Addario would last me 3 months easily, but I changed them every 2 months or so; I play a lot, but my hands hardly ever sweat, so they didn't start to rust until those 2 months.

Now that I've changed to Ernie Ball let's see how long they last
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by TehMasterSword
I change them every three months, or when one breaks (which hasn't happened in a LOOONG time).

I use D'Addarios, and they last long enough for me.

YA!
D'addarios pwn
i changed mine on sunday night, (so 9 days ago?) and before that it was in...early febuary,so monthly? but it was only bc i 'gigged' 3 times in feb/march.
and know im out of strings (packs of 3 FTW) i may try EB's top heavy or just stay with my XL d'addarios!
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Oh ****, I haven't re-strung my guitar since Chirstmas. I have an epiphone-sg, what strings do you recommend?

And changing them weekly must cost a lot, I don't work yet

And thanks for the help
Quote by Rhys.J
Oh ****, I haven't re-strung my guitar since Chirstmas. I have an epiphone-sg, what strings do you recommend?

And changing them weekly must cost a lot, I don't work yet

And thanks for the help

i only do it when people buy me them, did once on xmas (day after) and then early feb to try out the other set of strings i got.
i did last week because one broke so i changed them all
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by kschaef
Hellllllllllllllllll no.

A, uh, slight exaggeration. Back in the dark ages of my guitar experience, I had no idea that you had to change the strings. Those same strings stayed on my acoustic for almost two years. Almost no rust. Maybe it was partly because I didn't play it all that often, but still. Exaggeration.
once every week for me, 2 weeks at maximum

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
Ok thanks all

Rhys.J
- My Gear -

Fender Telecaster Arctic White
Martin & Co 000X1AE
Fender Frontman 212R
BOSS RC-30
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
im bad at string changing, i can go for a full year before i change them, they are dull and dont hold tune very well at that point but since i never break strings( atleast 8yrs since i last broke one) i prolong changing them.

ive been better about it lately changing them about every 2 months but it sucks doing 2-3 guitars at once.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo