Hey UG,
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
Anyways, I've been using this scale quite a lot( Children of Bodom spams it A LOT) and I was wondering which scale it was. I'm a huge theory noob( I'm studying theory in a year).
B Db Eb E Gb Ab A B

e---------------4-5-7-----------
b-------4-5-7--------------
g-4-6------------------------
^right?

Thanks a lot.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Last edited by LordPino at Mar 18, 2009,
if you have guitar pro, you can tab a riff that uses it and press scale search and it'll tell you
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by LordPino
B Db Eb E Gb Ab A B?

Mixolydian. But your spelling is wrong, it should be B C# D# E F# G# A B, otherwise it isn't diatonic.
Quote by pwrmax
Mixolydian. But your spelling is wrong, it should be B C# D# E F# G# A B, otherwise it isn't diatonic.

Thanks.
And sorry for the spelling, I'll remember that
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
Quote by Corruption
if you have guitar pro, you can tab a riff that uses it and press scale search and it'll tell you

How does it work? I tabbed it, selected 'Bar 1 until bar 2', hitted Find! and got nothing..
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
E Major and B Mixolydian use the same notes, but are not the same scale. The way he has it written is B Mixolydian, but it really depends on the chords that go with it and what note he uses as the tonic.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Without seeing what it's played over you can't really say if its BMixolydian or EMajor

It's the lead guitar in Kissing the Shadows by Children of Bodom. They play it in Standard D, starting on 16th fret A( what used to be G) string, thus making it A mixolydian or the major scale, but still.
*listen to the song please*

Is it mixolydian or major?
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
how is this not G# Ionian?

edit: cause I didnt read the notes and focussed on the tab..
Last edited by eXero at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by LordPino
It's the lead guitar in Kissing the Shadows by Children of Bodom. They play it in Standard D, starting on 16th fret A( what used to be G) string, thus making it A mixolydian or the major scale, but still.
*listen to the song please*

Is it mixolydian or major?

Standard D?

You mean drop D right? If you meant to write open D tuning, you need to change the tab so that it indicates open D tuning
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Standard D?

You mean drop D right? If you meant to write open D tuning, you need to change the tab so that it indicates open D tuning

I know, but it's about the intervals. They play it on the 16th fret A string, but the shape( and thus the intervals) are the same. If it's mixolydian mode, it's mixolydian mode, regardless of the root.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
Quote by LordPino
I know, but it's about the intervals. They play it on the 16th fret A string, but the shape( and thus the intervals) are the same. If it's mixolydian mode, it's mixolydian mode, regardless of the root.

I can't listen to the song anyways, im using public internet. You can't tell if its modal without knowing what the lead is being played over, hopefully someone that can listen to the song will help you out
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by Peaceful Rocker

I can't listen to the song anyways, im using public internet. You can't tell if its modal without knowing what the lead is being played over, hopefully someone that can listen to the song will help you out

Played over an E, G, A and C chord. All powerchords
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
Quote by dayzofdesire
I see E phrygian...

E Phrygian is all natural notes.
yeah I lied... -cough- I realized it as soon as I signed off the computer.... its , B Mixolydian fo sho...
It's B, but I'm not quite sure what it is really.
I'M BACK IN THE SADDLE
Quote by LordPino
Played over an E, G, A and C chord. All powerchords

Than it's E major.

Seriously guys, you all obviously don't understand modal harmony. 99% of all music is NOT modal. You need to specifically construct the harmony in a way that accents the "modal" notes if you will, but still doesn't pull to the relative major/minor. Especially after this was posted, there is NO reason to say it's mixolydian. it's a I iii IV vi progression. A very common progression in any major key.

tl;dr it's blatantly E major, not B mixolydian so stop trying to say that it's modal.
Quote by JakdOnCrack
Than it's E major.

Seriously guys, you all obviously don't understand modal harmony. 99% of all music is NOT modal. You need to specifically construct the harmony in a way that accents the "modal" notes if you will, but still doesn't pull to the relative major/minor. Especially after this was posted, there is NO reason to say it's mixolydian. it's a I iii IV vi progression. A very common progression in any major key.

tl;dr it's blatantly E major, not B mixolydian so stop trying to say that it's modal.

yep agreed, I'd be pretty sure it is E Major not B Mixolydian, though I did have to have to sit and think for longer then i should have then
Last edited by Fletchreborn at Mar 26, 2009,