So apparently, the Dano Cool Cat series of pedals are actually quite good.

And I was looking at some of the schematics for some of the pedals on another forum and some of them look eerily similar to some other rather well respected stompboxes. IE. outside of literally 1 or 2 components, the fuzz is a clone of the Frantone peach fuzz.

I think I'm going to order the and see what the fuss is about. I mean, $25, can't really go wrong, if for no reason than to just give it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69CCq8TLA48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxIp9CYnp8 (this one is really quite impressive)
Seems like all the Cool Cats are a clone of something. The prices are a steal if they are even close to what they are accusing of cloning.
Well the Fuzz is most certainly a clone, dunno about the Drive pedal though. Tbh, in ways I think it sounds better than the Fulltone, more brightness, less compression, but midrange definitely isn't as warm. But seriously, $24?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Sounds like a fun project... Just replace those few componets and you have yourself a high dollar pedal...

well they already have these on ebay.

moded and everything for 55$.

if your ganna spend money on "cheap" OD pedal look into those man.
How Danelectro gets away with selling these is beyond me. The Fuzz is quite literally a Frantone Peach Fuzz.

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-65.php

Incredible. Though the Peach Fuzz isn't really your typical run of the mill fuzz tone. It's really halfway between a fuzz and a distortion/overdrive.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 18, 2009,
I have the cool cat fuzz. It's not a bad little unit, a bit noisy, but that's excusable at this range. I usually ran it with the fuzz low and the volume high into my FD2. Nice singing lead tones. It wasn't as noisy on it's own, but still not very quiet either. Even if you hate it you're only out 30 bucks. I could even sell you mine if you want. Just pay for the shipping and I'll get it to you.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Also word is Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive = Timmy OD. Comparisons for that on Youtube too.
Quote by fly135
Also word is Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive = Timmy OD. Comparisons for that on Youtube too.

The word is fact! They're supposed to be revising the circuit soon.
Quote by THEKID546
well they already have these on ebay.

moded and everything for 55$.

if your ganna spend money on "cheap" OD pedal look into those man.

Well then I guess my assumptions were right... Thanks for the info

And im not looking for one, I actually have to many od's at the moment lol.
I really love my CM-2 pedal.

but if i feel i want some new flavour in my rig im definitely ganna get a modded danelectro.
AFAIK the CC Distortion is actually quite close to the MI Audio Crunch Box

>_>

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by hendriko at Mar 18, 2009,
I heard that the CC Distortion was similar to the MI Audio Crunch box and that the CC Drive is a clone of the OCD and CC Transparent Overdrive is a clone of the Paul Cochrane Timmy OD.
Yep Drive = OCD. Not sure what the Distortion is based on. I know the Crunch Box is based on the Marshall Guv'nor which the Danelectro Daddy-O is a clone of so...
Quote by al112987
I heard that the CC Distortion was similar to the MI Audio Crunch box and that the CC Drive is a clone of the OCD and CC Transparent Overdrive is a clone of the Paul Cochrane Timmy OD.

uhh..yeah, that's what i meant...distortion, drive - what's the difference

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Ya I just got the fuzz last week, phenomenal... but noisy as hell. I can't get turn the volume up at all without it tripling the output of my amp. BTW any suggestions for getting all my pedals on my board to a similar level, I've already done it pretty well, just wondering if there are any "secrets." So don't be a smart ass and say "adjust till theyre the same." Smart ass.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i've heard that they're meant to be quite good too, but haven't tried them either. they're nor as cheap as that here, though, they're more like £30-£50.

have you seen tonerider's range of stompboxes, by the way? bit more money, but they're meant to be really good as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Cool Cat series is really intriguing to me. If they didn't look so silly, I'd fork over the $35 (CAD) it takes to buy one.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Anyone played the Cool Cat Chorus yet? I think of getting one. More control than a Small Clone, cheaper, true-bypass, metal housing, can't go wrong can I?

The cool cats aren't plastic??

EDIT: nvm; the Cool Cat chorus isn't part fo the Cool Cat series, it seems.
^the "real" thing always sounds a tad better to me - it might be biasing of my ears, but still...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Even though I already have one Danelectro fuzz, if you say it's based off the Peachfuzz I might just get a Cool Cat.

Their chorus pedal is quite good too.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by WtrPlyr
That's what I said But the chorus is part of the Cool Cat series, as seen here http://www.thomann.de/nl/danelectro_cool_cat_chorus.htm

Dano used to have another chorus called the "Cool Cat Chorus," but it wasn't part of the same cool cat series that is out now.

Anyway, I picked up two of the cool cat pedals this week, I found a place online that had the Transparent Overdrive in stock and I picked up the CC fuzz as well (thanks Kevin). I got a chance to diddle around with the two of them for a few minutes this afternoon on someone's Blues Jr. and the Transparent Overdrive sounds really good. And I mean, REALLY good, I could actually see it becoming a permanent fixture (it's ugly for sure and I'm not so sure about the durability of the switch) if I can't find the cash for a real Timmy. It is super transparent, put the volume at unity, turn the gain down and if you the turn the pedal on and off and you can't even tell a difference. Bass doesn't get mushy like a TS, and no mid hump.

As for the fuzz, I can't really tell, its the first fuzz pedal I've owned, you can get some strange sounds out of it, but I can definitely get some nice, wool-y grind out of it and can find some use for it.

If anyone is looking for a good overdrive/clean boost and doesn't want to spend a lot of cash, look at the Dano cool cat transparent OD. Superior to just about everything else in it's price range imo. I prefer it to my tubescreamers as well. I want to try using it on my own rig which is in need of a good clean boost, but that will have to wait until the NCAA tournament is over (for UNC at least).
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 24, 2009,