Okay, so right now I have a Crate GT1200H Half Stack, and it's starting to wear and the sound shorts out sometimes. I have friends at a local store who will give me $180 for it and I only spent $250 for it and it's not going to work much longer anyways.

My problem is, should I go out and get a new amp or get a Line 6 Pod X3 Live and use the amp modelers through it for my amp tone. My band has our own PA system so it's not an issue of amplification, I just want Mesa sound without paying for a full out Mesa half stack. Good or bad idea?
I've alwayas loved PA Systems. And most amp models are normally good on the PODs.
It could be. Sounds like there will be less lugging round heavy stacks and stuff but you can never beat a real amp tone.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
All right then, I think I'll go for it :]
and that's not to say that I won't get a real amp sometime down the road, cause I know I won't be able to really tweak my sound to a real rectifier, but it'll definitely cut down on lugging equipment and cost for now :X
As long as you have monitors on stage, the Pod idea would be fine but if you don't have any monitors you won't be able to hear yourself properly onstage and if you're the only guitarist in the band (or rhythm guitarist) your drummer may struggle without being able to hear a decent mix with your guitar in it.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by Janqer
All right then, I think I'll go for it :]
and that's not to say that I won't get a real amp sometime down the road, cause I know I won't be able to really tweak my sound to a real rectifier, but it'll definitely cut down on lugging equipment and cost for now :X

you're making the same decision I'm making soon, but I'm still doubting between th GT-10 and the POD X3 live
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Okay, well my band is actually only a two person techno band, sooo there is no drummer live, everything's pre-recorded beats, but we have monitors so no problem there
Quote by DisarmGoliath
As long as you have monitors on stage, the Pod idea would be fine but if you don't have any monitors you won't be able to hear yourself properly onstage and if you're the only guitarist in the band (or rhythm guitarist) your drummer may struggle without being able to hear a decent mix with your guitar in it.

+1.
MIC'ing thru the PA is usually in addition to the amplifier to reduce stage volume levels and not meant to replace the amp. As mentioned you (and your band mates)won't hear properly thru the front speakers and even if you have decent monitors, they're usually reserved for vocalist's voice.
Moving on.....
it should work fine, but you'll need monitors or an amp to monitor
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by KenG
+1.
MIC'ing thru the PA is usually in addition to the amplifier to reduce stage volume levels and not meant to replace the amp. As mentioned you (and your band mates)won't hear properly thru the front speakers and even if you have decent monitors, they're usually reserved for vocalist's voice.

ive never found that moniters were supposed to be just for the vocals. when i used to run sound most of the players were focused more on getting a nice mix of their own instrument as well as the drums/bass in their moniter. then you always hear bands in smaller shows talking to the sound guy asking for X to be louder and Y to be lower in their moniter, and its usually not vocals they want turned up unless its the vocalist. just my experience.

TS, if you find the POD gets you sounds you are looking for and you have a way to hear yourself and amplify the sound on stage, then go for it. the POD is fairly flexible if i remember, so you should be able to get a wider variety of sounds from this than from a standard amp. however, its usually going to be at the cost of the fact that while the POD does everything pretty well, it doesnt excell in anything. so basicly, if you like the POD and it does what you want then its a good choice.