Ok, so yesterday one of the strings on my acoustic snapped. It's the first time I'll have to change strings on my acoustic (and it really is time, because i got my acoustic for about a year now ) and I don't know what kind of strings to buy. I'm used to D'addario's on my electric, so I want to buy acoustic D'addario's too.

But the problem is: I really don't know which strings I have to buy, there are so many! Ok, I mostly strum if that's a help and the thickest strings on the acoustic look like bronze, so I guess I have to buy bronze wounds? I really don't know ...

Another question: the fretboard is quite dirty, can I clean it with my Dunlop cleaning set which I have for my electric?
Yeah, the strings make so big difference, that you have to ask 900 people. And if you 'll clean an acoustic rosewood fretboard with an oil on electric rosewood fretboard, the guitar will obviously blow up, explode, destruct it self.

Stupid questions....

Buy some medium strings, any brand. And clean it with the Dunlop set, god damn it!
TEAR IT DOWN - new EP out now!
Czech death/deathcore/metalcore band
Visit our profile, listen to the new stuff and download for free, if you like it! - songs here!

Visit my youtube profile for some awesome solos - Kiwara's YT
^ Rude comments are unappreciated. This person obviously requires some assistance and your sarcasm is, to be honest, insulting. If you're not going to answer in a nice and helpful, then don't post. Seriously, don't be an ass to people who need help.

Also, you seem to be ignorant of the fact that strings DO make a huge difference to acoustic guitars. Unlike electric guitars, the tone of an acoustic guitar can be completely changed by strings.

@TS - Here's a string review thread that we had a while ago. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767693

As for the composition of the strings, the most common are Phosphor Bronze, 80/20 Bronze, and 92/8 Bronze. All have very different sounds, so make sure you try them out for yourself. For brands, it's safer to go for some of the more well known ones--don't buy the discount strings. D'addario strings are quite well known in the acoustic community. If you like the sound then go for it.

My personal favourite strings are the Eric Clapton Martin Signature strings and Cleartone EMPs(coated strings).

Your guitar probably comes with light strings(12's), so go for that.

Also, the dunlop stuff should be fine for your fretboard.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
^ Rude comments are unappreciated. This person obviously requires some assistance and your sarcasm is, to be honest, insulting. If you're not going to answer in a nice and helpful, then don't post. Seriously, don't be an ass to people who need help.

Also, you seem to be ignorant of the fact that strings DO make a huge difference to acoustic guitars. Unlike electric guitars, the tone of an acoustic guitar can be completely changed by strings.

@TS - Here's a string review thread that we had a while ago. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767693

As for the composition of the strings, the most common are Phosphor Bronze, 80/20 Bronze, and 92/8 Bronze. All have very different sounds, so make sure you try them out for yourself. For brands, it's safer to go for some of the more well known ones--don't buy the discount strings. D'addario strings are quite well known in the acoustic community. If you like the sound then go for it.

My personal favourite strings are the Eric Clapton Martin Signature strings and Cleartone EMPs(coated strings).

Your guitar probably comes with light strings(12's), so go for that.

Also, the dunlop stuff should be fine for your fretboard.

You tried the Martin FX's? If not give them a go, you'll never change back.

Also have you seen my new thread? Work in progress. What do you think?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1088956
Quote by Kiwara
Yeah, the strings make so big difference, that you have to ask 900 people. And if you 'll clean an acoustic rosewood fretboard with an oil on electric rosewood fretboard, the guitar will obviously blow up, explode, destruct it self.

Stupid questions....

Buy some medium strings, any brand. And clean it with the Dunlop set, god damn it!

Thanks for that info, douchebag. Strings do make a big difference, if you had any knowledge about guitars you would know that. Strings can completely alter the tone of an acoustic guitar. Ill put it simple for you: GTFO.

TS, D'addario makes great strings for cheap. I personally use the D'addario phosphor bronze light guage, they are only about $10 Canadian.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
You tried the Martin FX's? If not give them a go, you'll never change back.

Also have you seen my new thread? Work in progress. What do you think?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1088956

Never tried the FX's. Unfortunately, they've never been stocked at my local stores. I'll try to find them though.

But yeah, i've taken a peek into the thread. I'll try to contribute what I can when assignments aren't being shoved up my bum. haha.
Equipment:

Quote by Silverstein14
Thanks for that info, douchebag. Strings do make a big difference, if you had any knowledge about guitars you would know that. Strings can completely alter the tone of an acoustic guitar. Ill put it simple for you: GTFO.

TS, D'addario makes great strings for cheap. I personally use the D'addario phosphor bronze light guage, they are only about $10 Canadian.

LOL, I obviously know nothing about the guitar... I think that the guy obviously doesn't have to worry about strings too much now, but rather ****ing practise, and learn stuff about guitars and strings from resources...
TEAR IT DOWN - new EP out now!
Czech death/deathcore/metalcore band
Visit our profile, listen to the new stuff and download for free, if you like it! - songs here!

Visit my youtube profile for some awesome solos - Kiwara's YT
Quote by Kiwara
LOL, I obviously know nothing about the guitar... I think that the guy obviously doesn't have to worry about strings too much now, but rather ****ing practise, and learn stuff about guitars and strings from resources...

Alright first, hows he supposed to practice when one of his strings broke? It was a simple question that could have been easily answered but you had to be a douchebag about it and try to look cool on the internet.

Second, WE ARE A RESOURCE! We(well not you obviously) help people advance their knowledge on acoustic guitars to the best of our abilities, therefor, we are a resource.

What is with the sudden outburst of idiots on the forum suddenly? Seriously.
I use elixirs on my acoustic and I am iffy whether I like them or not. On one hand they sound amazing and the coating gives them a really nice feel when they are new. On the other hand the price is a bit steep and when they start to wear they look like absolute garbage and the "Nano-poly" coating flakes off. I've used Daddario's before and they have a nice sound but personally I think even the standard Fender strings sound better.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
I just wanted to say that Kiwara is a D1CK HEAD,

TS, I personally LOVE light elixer strings poly or nanoweb and they are easy on the fingertips as I am sure you are starting to callous from playing

GL Home Slice
Martin Custom Light SP!

EDIT: I've tried using Elixers before and had a problem with either the E or the G string breaking after a couple days of good use.
Last edited by cdr_salamander at Mar 20, 2009,
Quote by cdr_salamander
Martin Custom Light SP!

EDIT: I've tried using Elixers before and had a problem with either the E or the G string breaking after a couple days of good use.

That's weird man, I use elixers exclusively and have never had an e string break however, I have popped the G string by tuning it up to an A while playing in alternate tuning, but never in standard...
The G string breaking with elixirs is a very common problem. I've experienced it on numerous occasions as have my friends. I just stick with Cleartone EMPs or Eric Clapton Signature Martins now.
Equipment:

Poster ive practiced on and off for approx a yr also and just play in the house the now have learned the odd song
but its basically a past time hobby for me "captivate" from Canada seem's the one to listen to here
but ive tried different strings and always buy the cheaper ones as such

last ones i got were D'Addario Ej16 Light 012 - 053 but they took ages to break in approx a wk at the least
and also didnt last so long they were £6.50 pence Sterling British money

But out of them all i was told to go for the jumbo king med-light size 12 -54 gauge
i preferred and though they seem louder for my acoustic they have been the best ive had so far and can also be got from internet, i got them from local shop for £5.00 they are same price on the internet, also u can get the 11s.
CELTIC - 1st British Club To Win The European Cup In '67. Everyone A Scot. Hail! Hail!
i use d'addarios 12s. and they have amazing sustain and tone. they are nice and warm but still bright for strumming and precisive picking.
This thread is really old. Closed.
Equipment: