yes. i cant figure out how to get distortion though. this is my first head/cab and im really confused
Whichever direction the standy by switch is on when you get no sound is when standby is ON.

Distortion is a different matter than standby completely, and there should just be a seperate switch on your head for that.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
ok so i was told to turn it on , then leave the standby switch on for about a minute.

then what? turn off standby? but i get no sound then...
flip the power switch up to on...wait a minute...flip the standby switch up to on...and play. You want the standby switch to be flipped in the opposite direction of the power switch when the amp is warming up...they need to be flipped in the same direction when you're ready to play.
alright dude, if you can't figure out a standby switch on an amp and don't know what they're for, you really have NO reason to have one in the first place. It sounds like you have standby on and standby off confused. You're not supposed to get sound if your amp is on standby.

Put your amp on standby and then turn the whole amp OFF.
Now, turn you amp back ON, still on standby.
After about a minute or so, switch it OFF of standy.

This is to give the tubes time to warm up - your 5150 isn't a solid-state amp that can just turn on and go. Warming up your tubes helps avoid damage to your amp.

As far as getting distortion, there should be a switch on your amp that says "clean/crunch" or "channel" or something along those lines. Press it.
And to make life easier for yourself, buy yourself a footswitch.
ok how do i get distortion?... ive tried all the switches and buttons in every combination
I think the confusion here is that the standby switch says 'on' in the top position...when the 'on' position actually means that standy by is OFF

To get distortion turn the gain/preamp volume up
You power the amp up make sure the standby button is on (when you power it up it should make no noise) let it sit for a minute or two to prolong tube life. Then flip the switch to where it makes sound. Since your having problems with a standby button and this being your first head/cab, you do have the head and the cab matched up properly right? Since this is your first head/cab I dont want you going and blowing it up cuz that would suck.
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
thanks for all the quick replys. yes i do have them both matched. the cab is 8 ohms and i have my head set to 8 ohms. i still cant figure out how to get distortion,
yes there is a "crunch" button. when i hit it, nothing happens. its still clean. and it came with the pedal too.
Broken, it's broken. I'll dispose. Please mail it to me now.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Is this a troll?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
'Put your amp on standby and then turn the whole amp OFF.
Now, turn you amp back ON, still on standby.
After about a minute or so, switch it OFF of standy."

i did this. i flipped the standby switch to the ON position, like u said, no lights or anything came on. then i turned the power switch on. then the lights and everything came on. then i waited a minute, then turned the standby to OFF and i get nothing... no sound at all
i swear this isnt a troll post lol!!! i cant figure out how to work this thing
Well if you aren't a troll, maybe there's a problem with your tubes? Given that you sound like you've been abusing it for a while, that sounds likely.

Since you say that you're only getting clean (and "clean" and "5150" should not be used in the same sentence unless clean is preceded by "zero"), that sounds likely.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
im not sure... i tried it out before i bought it and the distortion was good. ive only been using it for about 5 minutes now
im not sure... i tried it out before i bought it and the distortion was great. ive only been using it for about 5 minutes now

If you are not a troll what are the setting you have on your amp cuz as stated before clean and 5150 arnt ever used in the same sentence...
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
*sigh*
set EVERY control to about three.
If you don't get sound, then you probably have a broken head, or your amp is still on standby.
By the way, make sure you're not connecting the head to the cab with a normal guitar cable, you need SPEAKER cable for that.. common error, could result in damage.
And btw, I've gotten some pretty decent cleans out of a 5150 before, thankyouverymuch.
It's not impossible, and I actually liked what I got.
I know that with chorus and if you EQ well and keep the volume on your guitar very low, you can get cleans out of a 5150 but it's really not worth the work. That's why I get pissed whenever someone says they want a metal amp that can also do cleans and everyone automatically says 5150/6505 (which admittedly is a bit better in teh cleanz) when you can get used Mesas and ENGLs around that price with much better cleans.
Quote by Cathbard
if it came with the footswitch, hook up the footswitch and try switching using both the button on the amp for channel and the footswitch channel button. does the red light for the lead channel turn on when you try to switch channels? your not very clear here
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
i promise u that this is not a troll... look at my history and the threads ive made before... im totally clueless when it comes to heads/amps. both the power and standby are set to OFF. i flip the standby switch to ON, nothing happens. then i flip the power switch to ON, and all ther lights come on and i can get a clean sound when i play the guitar. i wait a minute or 2, then flip OFF the standby switch, and i get NO SOUND AT ALL.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
if it came with the footswitch, hook up the footswitch and try switching using both the button on the amp for channel and the footswitch channel button. does the red light for the lead channel turn on when you try to switch channels? your not very clear here

yea the footswitch has an effects button which does nothing, and a channel button, which changes the amp from rhythm to lead channels.
NOOOOO its all wrong
turn the POWER OFF and put the standby switch in the same position.
Now. Turn the POWER ON.
Leave it alone for a little bit
Now turn the STANDBY in the same direction.
and for the Effects button on the footswitch to work, you need to have FX plugged through the amps EFFECTS LOOP. Otherwise, its of no use. The switch for the Effects simply turns the FX loop on or off.
You flip the power on first! leave standby on and let it warm up. Turn standby off and you get sound.
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
Quote by Xaeravoq
i promise u that this is not a troll... look at my history and the threads ive made before... im totally clueless when it comes to heads/amps. both the power and standby are set to OFF. i flip the standby switch to ON, nothing happens. then i flip the power switch to ON, and all ther lights come on and i can get a clean sound when i play the guitar. i wait a minute or 2, then flip OFF the standby switch, and i get NO SOUND AT ALL.

ill have to give you instructions like a 5 year old

1. make sure the head is correctly connected to cabinet
2. leave the power switch off and the standby switch in the same direction as the power switch
3. turn the POWER ON
4. after waiting 1 minute, flip the STANDBY switch
5. turn your pre up and see if you get distortion
6. if the amp isnt already on the LEAD channel, use the footswitch to change channels or the channel button on the amp

EDIT: wait, your not getting distortion even on the lead channel? have you tried turning the PRE up higher?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

ill have to give you instructions like a 5 year old

1. make sure the head is correctly connected to cabinet
2. leave the power switch off and the standby switch in the same direction as the power switch
3. turn the POWER ON
4. after waiting 1 minute, flip the STANDBY switch
5. turn your pre up and see if you get distortion
6. if the amp isnt already on the LEAD channel, use the footswitch to change channels or the channel button on the amp

EDIT: wait, your not getting distortion even on the lead channel? have you tried turning the PRE up higher?

a 5 year old or someone who has never used a head before... im used to my ****ty crate amp where i just turn it on then turn on my pedal and play.

i think i fixed it btw, now that i turned it on correctly it seems to be working just fine. thanks for all the help guys...
now i cant figure out how to turn the volume down... if i turn the knobs on my guitar i lose distortion quality
POST gain. Although you'll probably have to turn up your PRE gain.

POST gain works like the channels own volume control
PRE gain is pretty much like the gain knob you'd be used to.
Quote by x7shadesofblack
POST gain. Although you'll probably have to turn up your PRE gain.

POST gain works like the channels own volume control
PRE gain is pretty much like the gain knob you'd be used to.

yea i just figured that out. thanks though.