not sure if that is the correct term but...when im playing guitar (mostly when doing leggato and attempting to shred) my left pinky starts to hurt. I havnt been playing guitar for long and surely have been using my pinky for even less time. so, does this pain come from doing excessive strength on the finger or will it eventually disapear/ take longer to occour?

If i wait a litle (like 10 seconds) it just stops hurting...but then the pain will only come quicker. Cheers
1.go to lessons tab
2.look for "powering up pinky"
3.look for result similar to that.
4.????
5.PROFIT

YOUR Pinky just isnt strong yet,
and rememebr to do the chromatic exercises
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
^
shanchett, you get an E for Effort

Quote by CodChick

ROFLLOBSTER
When you practise, use your pinky in place of your 3rd finger (usually the strongest) for a while, and start learning scales with all four fingers and you will soon develop strength in the little finger. As already mentioned, try chromatic scales as well (look them up in lessons because I can't be bothered to tab any out) but essentially you just hit every fret semi-tone in an octave one after the other
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Pinky strength most likely;

Also people like Vai and Satriani, have very low action.

Alot of Ibanez come standard with low action, but if you got like a fender of gibson styled guitar, chances are that the action is a bit higher then ur average "shredguitar"

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Google

No, but seriously all action relates to is the height of the strings from the frets. A lower action requires you to press down less to sound a note out clearly, whereas a higher action means the strings are higher from the fretboard and require more pressure to sound out the notes.

A lower action is easier to play, but too low an action can cause problems (i.e with a locking trem guitar you won't be able to raise the pitch as much before the strings 'choke' on the last fret). I prefer a higher action on my Les Paul because I generally only use it to record rhythm tracks and combined with thicker strings it is great for clarity on fast riffing.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
in the electric guitar forum there's a thread about setting up your guitar. I'll try to find it

edit: yea, it's stickied now. it's "The ULTIMATE Guitar Setup Q and A thread"

but anyway, to adjust your action you just raise and lower the saddles or the bridge depending on what kind of bridge it is.

I like my action really low, so I just lower my strings til I start to get a little bit of buzz, then I raise em back up til it goes away.

http://projectguitar.com/tut/action.htm
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
not sure if that is the correct term but...when im playing guitar (mostly when doing leggato and attempting to shred) my left pinky starts to hurt. I havnt been playing guitar for long and surely have been using my pinky for even less time. so, does this pain come from doing excessive strength on the finger or will it eventually disapear/ take longer to occour?

If i wait a litle (like 10 seconds) it just stops hurting...but then the pain will only come quicker. Cheers

yea that is just because there isnt much stregnth in your pinky yet. its not used to all the playing.

playing chromatic scales or even just diotonic scales with help. just try to use it more and it will get better. on thing i do is i go accross the strings with two fingers, two frets apart. i go up and back down. i start with my index and middle. then i do it with my middle and ring. then i do it with my ring and pinky. trust me, it helps a lot. you probably wont be able to do it at first but it will eventually get better. start slowly and make sure to get every note clean. practice starting from the top string going down then back up as well.