okay. so i've spent the last two and a half years playing guitar like crazy. i would literally come home from class and play guitar til i fell asleep for the majority of those years. and what do i get from it? alot of ****ty bands that go nowhere, hundreds of riffs and guitar pro composed songs that ill never have any use for and alot of wasted time.

i cannot take the fact that people who practice much less than i do, care much less than i do that do so much better. (half the ****ty mallcore bands out there) what enables people with out of control egos to become famous musicians?

i'm this close to giving up on trying to make an actual good screamo band and playing good guitar and just joining some ****ty "hxc" band as a screamer. FML
your icon is metallica so im guessing your not trying to make a screamo band but thanks for understanding bro.
Maybe you should ask yourself why you started playing guitar..
because you like playing or because you like to compete with others?
i'm not into screamo myself, but i totally see where you're coming from. like most 'bands' out there in the charts (kasabian, killers, kings of leon all spring to mind) can't actually play any of their respective instruments that well but get millions upon millions of £/$ for being ****e. it really isn't fair but c'est la vie...
don't take this as an insult because i really feel for you man
but some people can get away with less practice and less skill by having an unreal amount of natural talent and/or a good sense of what people want to hear
how relatable and universal a song is has as much to do with it's success as it's actual quality and complexity.

edit:

Quote by Dempsey68
i'm not into screamo myself, but i totally see where you're coming from. like most 'bands' out there in the charts (kasabian, killers, kings of leon all spring to mind) can't actually play any of their respective instruments that well but get millions upon millions of £/$ for being ****e. it really isn't fair but c'est la vie...

haha, KKK
not sure if you caught that
what makes you say they can't even play their instruments?
that's just silly
I want Super Saiyan abilities
Last edited by rebelmidget at Mar 18, 2009,
i got into guitar for a love of music. i still get a joy from screaming my ass off to my favorite songs and playing killer riffs. im just frustrated.
I know exactly what you mean, and it can be frustrating. but you gotta strap some bollocks on and suck it up, thats whats the world's like, it isnt fair. That isnt to say dont keep trying.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
if you're playing guitar to get famous off of a current trend or fad then maybe you should join a '****ty' band doing what's popular, but if you play music for your own enjoyment then do whatever pleases you most and in time you will get recognised for it.... but by then it wont matter because you will find more enjoyment in playing for yourself than trying to be what's new and popular.... who knows, you may even create what's new and popular while others are still focused on 'hxc'.....
Quote by Bubban
I once had a sudden urge to rape sheep in Scotland after watching CNN, that was pretty freaky.
Quote by Dempsey68

I agree with you accept for the Kings of Leon, they're a great band IMO. On topic, you gotta try harder. You think Hendrix just decided one day he was gonna make some money playing music and went and got a record deal? Hell no. He played backing for TONS of bands for 4-6 years before finally getting a break. The music biz is tough, you gotta know that before you try getting into it.
Quote by breakdown123

i cannot take the fact that people who practice much less than i do, care much less than i do that do so much better

how do you know they practice less than you do? how do you know they care less than you do? you really don't do ya. i've generally acknowledged that if a person cares enough to be more talented than i am at my preferred instrument then they probably cared enough to get lessons, practice more or do both more than me. does it drive me nuts when i see an 8 year old tear it up in ways i can't? sure it does, but im sure they put their hours in to get that good.
if it wasnt clear. im not trying to take advantage of a scene. i love music in all its form. case in point im currentloy bittorrenting the new cannibal corpse and some old i am ghost stuff. screamo and post hardcore or whatever the scene kids are calling it is my favorite genre. from sunny day real estate to alesana.
Quote by z4twenny
how do you know they practice less than you do? how do you know they care less than you do? you really don't do ya. i've generally acknowledged that if a person cares enough to be more talented than i am at my preferred instrument then they probably cared enough to get lessons, practice more or do both more than me. does it drive me nuts when i see an 8 year old tear it up in ways i can't? sure it does, but im sure they put their hours in to get that good.

i guess it just annoys me to see bands like leathermouth who play four chord progressions with no riffs get album deals with huge labels (epitaph)
Quote by breakdown123
i guess it just annoys me to see bands like leathermouth who play four chord progressions with no riffs get album deals with huge labels (epitaph)

Maybe the reason they're so popular is because they play music people want to hear instead of playing music guitarists and guitarists alone want to hear.

Take Linkin Park, for example. In their entire career, I have literally heard the guitarist play one solo, ever. It's not because he lacks skill, but because he knows that not everyone loves a solo for every single song, and that it frankly wouldn't fit into the music for the most part.

The reason folks like Steve Vai and Dream Theatre never break the top forty is because they play music that, by it's nature, is tailor-made for other musicians, not people. You can explain how kickass this harmonic minor lick was all day, but if folks don't get it, why bother? People just want music to **** to, to drive to, and to listen to at work.