The guy joined last week, kinda talk about getting a new amp...then calls this morning to say he hopes my amp can keep up with his spider! I have a B52at100 running to a oversized 90s carvin cab. I dont want to be a d@%$ cause hes showing that hes commetted to the band but what are we going to do this weekend when we play and i cant event tell hes thier?

Also our bass player has a Custon shop GK NEO stack...so im asking how do i tell him to get ride of it and what in the same price range do you reccondmend.
Bring him to UG, show him Spider threads, and then show him what he can get in the same price range that is awesome.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Bring him to UG, show him Spider threads, and then show him what he can get in the same price range that is awesome.

This
Oh, the poor bastard.
Now if its one of the new TUBE ones, you have some hope. They're not all that bad.
But if its just the normal SS Spider... then... I'm sorry for you. lol
i have a spider valve half stack "the new TUBE ones" as x7shadesofback said, and they are way better than the spider 3s. tell him to get one of those if hes stuck on getting a line 6.
Look, they aren't so bad that they're gonna ruin a gig. Nobody in the audience is going to say:

"Oh, my word, Do you see that fellow? He seems to be getting his shred on via a spider 3,by the pope, how cumbersome and embarrassing (heavy british laughter)"

It just isn't going to be the best tone he could have, and the gig won't be as good as it could be.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
If it's a SS Spider, gently explain to him at first what that means, and, as was mentioned before, show him some UG Spider threads.

If he still ignores, unplug him right before the show.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
We dont have a show just practice and yes its the ss head. Its just hard to tell some one whos life goal is to be in a band that he got a pos, an he bought it with a gc creditline. so he really didnt have the money for it. The worst part is he only wants a half stack... what do you guys recondmend?
It's not bad at the moment.
If he doesn't have the money for it, don't make him pay more for a better head, that'll just ruin his credit even more. LOL

Just deal with it, try to help him get a good sound of it. It might be a little more diificult, but theres a local band around here where the only guitarist uses a Spider II head and his sound is pretty good. Not the most amazing tone ever, but it suits the sound of the band and gets the job accomplished, and thats really all that matters.

Maybe down the road, help him pick out a better amplifier, etc.
but for now its all good.

and by the way, theres nothing wrong with just wanting a half-stack
I love the feel of a good 4x12 pushing some air
nothing else really does it for me.
Last edited by x7shadesofblack at Mar 18, 2009,
Do you guys play metal? If so, then look at the B-52 LS100.

Don't judge me.
Quote by manmanster
Look, they aren't so bad that they're gonna ruin a gig. Nobody in the audience is going to say:

"Oh, my word, Do you see that fellow? He seems to be getting his shred on via a spider 3,by the pope, how cumbersome and embarrassing (heavy british laughter)"

It just isn't going to be the best tone he could have, and the gig won't be as good as it could be.

Actually that sort of thing happens quite a bit where im from lol

And to the TS... I wouldnt say anything, just gig as normal and when he cant keep up he will know. And maybe get an outside member to give a impression on the overall sound. Example its better to let the vocal guy or drummer tell him his gear sucks then you.....

And remember he has 30 days to return it lol
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by x7shadesofblack
It's not bad at the moment.
If he doesn't have the money for it, don't make him pay more for a better head, that'll just ruin his credit even more. LOL

Just deal with it, try to help him get a good sound of it. It might be a little more diificult, but theres a local band around here where the only guitarist uses a Spider II head and his sound is pretty good. Not the most amazing tone ever, but it suits the sound of the band and gets the job accomplished, and thats really all that matters.

Maybe down the road, help him pick out a better amplifier, etc.
but for now its all good.

and by the way, theres nothing wrong with just wanting a half-stack
I love the feel of a good 4x12 pushing some air
nothing else really does it for me.

Ya this is what sounds right...its the nice thing to do...well hes going to be ****ed when i hit on my boost for solos!
Quote by manmanster

I dunno, I was just at a school show last night and a couple guys had MGs with a tone that I noticed and made me want to tear my ears off.

Could just be that I'm a guitarist, but still.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Quote by manmanster

By god. I may have to sig that....

And yeah. It won't be that bad man, but you should really talk to him *gently* about getting a different amp
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Wait til he plays his spider beside your b-52, he will regret it instantly.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I really (really, really, really) don't understand what the fuss is about... How will an amp with -not the best- tone make it impossible for him to "keep up" or potentially ruin the gig/practice or whatever. It still emitts sound, am I right?

And out of an audience, the only ones who are going to criticise your tone are the ones who don't even care for the music and just came to put it down in the first place.
But in all fairness sometimes a line 6 spider can defy the odds. Went to see a few bands live a few months back and one of them was using a line 6 spider half stack and to my surprise it sounded great for what they were playing. Alternative, Electropunk... So the digitial overly distorted every so often clipping mess of a spider actually mingled in with the keyboard synth's and crazy vocals of the band. I was in impressed... But for any other type of music trash it...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
But in all fairness sometimes a line 6 spider can defy the odds. Went to see a few bands live a few months back and one of them was using a line 6 spider half stack and to my surprise it sounded great for what they were playing. Alternative, Electropunk... So the digitial overly distorted every so often clipping mess of a spider actually mingled in with the keyboard synth's and crazy vocals of the band. I was in impressed... But for any other type of music trash it...

I definitely believe that while the overly processed sound of a spider 3 does not work with a conventional music sound, its digital sound actually works in the electronic/electronic rock/industrial setting.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
I love this thread so far. It's being kept so civil when we all know that the only thing anyone wants to post here is stuff like: "Flatten his head with a spade," or "murder his girlfriend and jam the remains into the back of his cab."

I know the hate is lurking around here somewhere.
Let him keep it? Your tone will sound better by comparison. Kind of like taking a stock car up against a Geo Metro.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by theoreticmusic

+1y8965y629, but if thats what floats his boat....
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by toyboxmonster
Smartest thing I've heard all week.

I'm just as concerned about my boat having the ability to go somewhere as I am about it floating.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
I'm just as concerned about my boat having the ability to go somewhere as I am about it floating.

I'm not sure that's the right analogy for this situation, but I understand what you're getting at.
The point is that we're not talking about your boat (or anyone else's on this forum), we're talking about the other guitarist's.
And if he's satisfied with that, the only correct answer to the original post is "let him be". Once again, it isn't a crappy digital amp that's going to ruin your band, and I hope to God that it isn't a crappy digital amp that's going to get him kicked out of a band. If he plays well, then that's where the TS's concerns should end.
Quote by theoreticmusic

Genious, im tired of the ant-anti-Spider III bandwagon, people that say "oh, there still good practice amps" or "there not as bad as people say." They are indeed as bad as people say, there fuzzy and annoying, and they are not good practice amps, nor good amps period, esspeacially for their price range.
/rant
a bunch of tone def horny chicks will not be able to tell the difference
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by NGMF-Sam
a bunch of tone def horny chicks will not be able to tell the difference

And... you're saying this positively or sarcastically?
The tube spiders are alright but I mean the vypyr sounds way better and it's cheaper. To be honest the spiders suck but screw it. I used to be in a band that was the biggest local band around here for a few years. Believe it or not I used a 5150 and the other guy used a solid state line 6. It did not matter. We had a lot of fans and people were digging the music. If I was you I'd worry about it later. Just focus on writing real music and no one is going to care if he's got a spider or not.
well, there will be a time when your other guitar player will see the light. until then, let him enjoy his new equipment.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
What bothers me most about spiders is the people who use them. Most kids I have played with them insist upon putting the modeling on "Insane" (I would NEVER buy an amp with 'Insane' as one of the channels) and belting out pinch harmonics like Zack friggin Wylde...

Epiphone Flying V in drop D, Line 6 Spider III on "Insane" FTW!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
What bothers me most about spiders is the people who use them. Most kids I have played with them insist upon putting the modeling on "Insane" (I would NEVER buy an amp with 'Insane' as one of the channels) and belting out pinch harmonics like Zack friggin Wylde...

Epiphone Flying V in drop D, Line 6 Spider III on "Insane" FTW!

I agree. And the insane channel on this thing is unusable. It's just noise. That green metal channel is my favorite channel on it. The red channel is okay but the green is better. I don't know how it sounds on the new ones though. I had a spider 2 back when they first came out and that green channel sounded really good and it held together better at high volume than the other tones. For a practice tone it actually sounded damn good.
Quote by manmanster

best be takin the p*ss
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I think you should explain to him his amp is terrible and let him make an informed decision, most likely it will be: return the amp.
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
Quote by hot4teacher
so im asking how do i tell him to get ride of it and what in the same price range do you reccondmend.
What input did he ask you for before he bought this ?
well let me say im happy no ones been baned or this tread closed! well im just going to wait till saterday, jam, then well see what happens then...Ill let yall know what goes down.
wow
the whole spider thing is messed up proper
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by toyboxmonster
And... you're saying this positively or sarcastically?

sort of both i mean think about it

so what about the few who wont like your buds tone if there are any i mean as long as he can play well it will work until he finds a good amp
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by hot4teacher
The guy joined last week, kinda talk about getting a new amp...then calls this morning to say he hopes my amp can keep up with his spider! I have a B52at100 running to a oversized 90s carvin cab. I dont want to be a d@%$ cause hes showing that hes commetted to the band but what are we going to do this weekend when we play and i cant event tell hes thier?

Also our bass player has a Custon shop GK NEO stack...so im asking how do i tell him to get ride of it and what in the same price range do you reccondmend.

Just be humble. Hope he hears the difference and returns it.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦