Is this possible to play, without sounding wierd? Or should I just try to get better at playing fast palm muted downstrokes?
I have never seen anyone palm mute upstrokes. I'm not saying it can't be done, but in my experience, palming is a downstroke only thing.

I'd love to see someone prove me wrong on this point.
I can't prove it but its not impossible, perhaps just uncomfortable at first.

I can palm mute and alternate pick fine if that's what you mean.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Its possible when picking only a single note but once you start stacking notes to form chords palm muted upstrokes produce way to much excess string noise.
its possible, but i dosent sound the same if you up and down stroke while lightly palm muting it sounds decent.
I'm sorry, what's the question? It's unbelievably easy to upstroke whilst palm-muting...
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Try playing a iron maiden gallop style rhythm without using upstrokes. If anyone one can at a respectable speed I will be very impressed.
if you listen to "every breath you take" he PM all strings from low E to B, so yeah its possible and doable, but it's a bit hard to make them sound proper.
now, depending on the style, you may want to learn alternate PM or downstrike PMs
Yes, it is possible and is very common in metal and other fast-paced genres. Palm-muting multiple simultaneous notes on an upstroke (i.e an unarpeggiated chord, not like sweeping individual notes quickly), will give a lot of unwanted 'pick noise' though so light-muting would be advised.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Of course it's possible to upstroke while palm muting. I'm wondering why you think it wouldn't be.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Sorry, I should've been clearer. My question is specifically concerning playing chords. I have no problem with alternate picking single notes and palm muting at the same time, what I'm having difficulties with is playing a power chord with both up and downstrokes, while palm muting.
Last edited by Nashag at Mar 18, 2009,
Erm yeah, it's very easy...
I don't understand the problem.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
yes, it is possible, but you must pay close attention to ur picking.

Normally if you do a downstroke ur pointy end of the pick will be angled up to the ceiling slightly. As a result the upstroke will be angled the opposite way, as if you were to pluck the string.

You must keep the pick 90 degrees, and try to move in a vertical movement with the pick being as horizontal as possible, so the upstroke will be struck in the same way as a downstroke, which results in a better balance in sound.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
is'nt it like that in one by metallica when the lyrics go:
darkness
imprisoning me
all that i see
absolute horror.
Quote by Lars
Hey guys. What is this new amp we got today? it says M... Ma... Mars something. Marshall!!!
i think it says MG here on a little note too
Quote by Kirk

Quote by James
RUN LARS!!!

lulz
Quote by Nashag
Sorry, I should've been clearer. My question is specifically concerning playing chords. I have no problem with alternate picking single notes and palm muting at the same time, what I'm having difficulties with is playing a power chord with both up and downstrokes, while palm muting.

That's very possible and also very easy.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by Lirarn
is'nt it like that in one by metallica when the lyrics go:
darkness
imprisoning me
all that i see
absolute horror.

AFAIK they just do downstrokes on that. Hella fast downstrokes. Listen close and each hit has the same sound, doing down/up would give every other note a lighter tone.
Gear:

JCM 900 w/Lead 1960 cab
Custom Aria Pro II w/coil splits and phase changer (my baby!)
Schecter Omen 6 w/upgraded coil split Duncans
Pile o' pedals
Yes using both upstrokes and downstrokes whilst palm muting chords is quite common, and not just in metal, its not really hard, it just a matter of getting the rhythm clean and smooth.
Quote by szekelymihai
if you listen to "every breath you take" he PM all strings from low E to B, so yeah its possible and doable, but it's a bit hard to make them sound proper.
now, depending on the style, you may want to learn alternate PM or downstrike PMs

When I practice that, I palm mute all the strings.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by Broseph_C
AFAIK they just do downstrokes on that. Hella fast downstrokes. Listen close and each hit has the same sound, doing down/up would give every other note a lighter tone.

No they don't.
The do alternate picking.
Think about it.
Better yet, watch a video of them playing it.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Last edited by Sleaze Disease at Mar 20, 2009,
Ofcourse it's possible. And to all those guys saying downstroke give a different sound, practice untill you can alternate pick with the same sound, so you don't look like a fool when playing something fast.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4