OK, like I'm sure a good portion of UG, I have dreams of making it big in music. However I've also been around enough to know that only 0.0001% of bands can turn a buck, so I'm also studying law and commerce at uni because I know that in all likelihood I'm gonna need a day job.

Now I heard that I've been offered an audition with a fairly successful local band. They're reasonably well known on myspace here and they opened for KoRn last year. And they need a singer, and I've had some vocal training (Although I've forgotten most of it) and they play stuff I like, so if all goes well I'll be in the band.

And there comes the problem.

My parents (or specifically my mum, my dad is OK but he doesn't want to say anything to Mum) are arseholes about me and music. Two days before I was about to leave for uni, she basically told me that if I wanted to be in a band, she would kick me out, not pay for me to go to uni, whatever. Or I could go and basically do nothing but study for five years. I ended up agreeing half-heartedly to the second part because if I had walked out, I would probably be living on the streets right now without a band or anything. In short, I'd be f*cked. And while I don't live at home right now, they're watching my grades and she calls occasionally at night just to make sure I'm not out partying or whatever. (When I do want to go out, I wait for her to call before going).

So I'm seeking advice. If (and this is an if) I get into the band, what should I do? Do I accept and carry on for as long as possible while enjoying the ride but quit if and when Mum finds out, do I go in for it whole-heartedly and if there's a sign we could make it, drop out of uni and basically burn my bridges with my parents, or do I reject?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Follow your dreams. Don't let anyone be an obstacle to your goal.
(...even your parents)

Then get a job at a fast food restaurant to pay for your rent at an apartment.
Your parents want the best for you - they aren't going to kick you out. Your mom's probably just saying what she thinks she needs to to make sure you get the best start in life. Just prove to them you can do both. Join the band, and make sure your grades don't slip, then when the time comes tell your mom, and show her you can do both. If you're at uni you're an adult and they can't make all your decisions for you.
Last edited by zhilla at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by jimmy_neutron
student loans>mom and dad

band>study

/thread

Student Loans are not better than the money mom and dad have. Seriously, look at our economy. It sucks because people took out loans they couldn't repay.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
She phones to make sure you're not out?

Your parents are creepy. as. ****.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Go for the band, if they opened up for Korn and you're a good singer, you'll catch on, and get a day job if needed to wait for it. Practise singing whenever you can, though. Learn to take REALLY good care of your voice, sing a lot of different styles in your free time, just to help you come along as a singer. In short, GO FOR IT.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure if I get in I'll say yes and see how it goes. If it seems like we aren't going anywhere I'll wind back, if they have real potential I'll devote more time to it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by meh!
She phones to make sure you're not out?

Your parents are creepy. as. ****.

No, just religious as all hell.
Quote by Cathbard
In the words of Stephen Colbert, "F*ck 'em."
At the end of the day...
Prepare to kill
everyone.