Just curious.... Ive heard people say the only difference is a different transformer. Is there much of a difference?????
The Mark IIC+ had the infamous "105" power transformer and the Mark III didn't (except for a handful of the VERY early ones).

Transformer differences can be subtle, but can also be profound. The most obvious example being the DeYoung transformers that Soldano uses in the SLO. Almost everyone agrees that the SLO has something that the other amps don't (in spite of the fact that many other of Soldano's amps have the exact same overdrive circuit). The same line of reasoning applies to the IIC+.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
The Mark IIC+ had the infamous "105" power transformer and the Mark III didn't (except for a handful of the VERY early ones).

Transformer differences can be subtle, but can also be profound. The most obvious example being the DeYoung transformers that Soldano uses in the SLO. Almost everyone agrees that the SLO has something that the other amps don't (in spite of the fact that many other of Soldano's amps have the exact same overdrive circuit). The same line of reasoning applies to the IIC+.

How did the 105 tranny affect the tone/?? And is the Mark III the same besides that??? How can I EQ my III to sound like a IIC+?
Thanks
Quote by bulletrocks522
How did the 105 tranny affect the tone/?? And is the Mark III the same besides that??? How can I EQ my III to sound like a IIC+?
Thanks

i think there is a reason the IIc+ costs so much....
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by bulletrocks522
Thanks

Why don't you just work with the tone that the amp has instead of making it something it's not? If you want a Mark II sound, sell your Mark III and buy a Mark II. The III is a fine amp in its own right.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Holy-Diver

I thought it was so expensive because its so rare.
EDIT:
To H4T3BR33D3R:
I was just curious, I want a Metallica tone for a cover, and they use IIC+'s, so I wanted the tone. I cant afford a IIC+, and III's are beastly y themselves.
Last edited by bulletrocks522 at Mar 19, 2009,
and they have excellent tone.... MoP ftw!!
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
you can get the mop tone from a mk3....just keep playing with it lots of low bass...less low mids...less mids...slightly high high mids and slightly high highs

yes... slightly high high highs
Quote by Holy-Diver

The high price is largely due to how few true IIC+'s are out there. That and all the hype give it such a high price tag. I've seen a lot of people do a variety of things to pass a II off as a IIC+ just for the extra money.
Quote by Guitarmiester
The high price is largely due to how few true IIC+'s are out there. That and all the hype give it such a high price tag. I've seen a lot of people do a variety of things to pass a II off as a IIC+ just for the extra money.

Thats what I thought. The tone is very similar to early III's from what I heard.
The Mark III was considered to be a step down for a lot of II and IIC+ users, but that doesn't mean it's a bad amp. You can easily get some monster tones out of that thing. Just like all of the Mark amps, they have too much low end that gets muddy fast. I remember having to back the bass down to 1, if not practically at 0.
You're best off using a Marshall for Metallica's tone on Master of Puppets and earlier.

They really had the Mark IIC+ tone on Justice. I could easily dial it in with a Mark IV, I dunno much about the III though.

Cut back the gain a bit to give you some nice note separation, do the traditional V with the GEQ, with the standard EQ go pretty heavy with the mids and highs and keep the bass fairly low.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
You're gonna get closer to the Mark IIC+ metal tone with a Mark III than a Mark IV, that's for sure. It's *very* close. You don't need any kind of boost, there's more gain than hell on these amps. You can try on a Mark IV, but it's going to be too smoothed over, compressed and choked. The Mark II and III are much more open in this respect.

I have an early Mark III with the big 105 transformers, and the only slight difference in my opinion, is a IIC+ is a little smoother in the upper mids.

The circuit boards are different between the IIC+ and the Mark II, but the lead channels are very similar to each other.
Last edited by LesPaul666 at Apr 13, 2009,