I seriously doubt its the settings I'm using. I've tried a ton of settings on it.

the thing just drowns in bass no matter what you do, at least on the OD channels.and when I say drowns, I get a scooped mids tone by scooping the bass between 8 and 11 oclock, mids at like 4 o clock and highs maxed. I know its an american voiced amp but seriously, TOO much bass, not nearly enough highs and the mids are weakly voiced and dont sound nice.

if I use a standard scooped mids tone, then it sounds flabby and weak and less I turn up the volume to compensate. thats normal, I know, but this is MORE than any other amp. It just sounds totally dull, no sharpness to it, nothing but a **** ton of bass

it doesnt even handle high frequencies like pinch harmonics well (without some serious help from pedals). they're there and you can hear em, but they just dont scream like they ought to.

whats worse is that if you take out the bass, it starts to have absolutely nothing to it at all. fizzy nastyness. so I dont even think an eq pedal would help, It sounds to me like the amp is just voiced crappy.

I can get a decent tone when I crank the clean channel, but then its so dry and thin, I have to run an OD pedal over it to thicken it up. Hell even the gain channels seem pretty thin. with a ton of reverb or delay it thickens up a little but thats not the way to go all the time.

so what should I do about this? retube it? trade in both the randall and peavey in my sig and combine with my new gear budget for a new amp? (my entire budget cant go to the amp, I really would like a different guitar) or is it just me?
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Mar 18, 2009,
I say sell the Randall, I heard its pretty crap. Use that money to invest in a OD/EQ/Speaker/Retube for your Classic 30.
I'm having the same problem with the exact same amp...the amp is BASStastic, and I keep trying to get twangy Lamb of God-ish tones, but fail every time.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Randall amps are known be overly bass heavy and dark amps. Which was the exact reason I get rid of my old RH100.

It might be time to get an EQ pedal or trade it in on something else.
What kinda music (specific bands) are you trying to play? Also, what level do you have the master volume/channel volume on?

I have one and I love it. Definitely helps if you turn it up a bit. It is darkly voiced, which I like, personally, but maybe it's too much depending on what you're trying to play.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by bulletrocks522
I say sell the Randall, I heard its pretty crap. Use that money to invest in a OD/EQ/Speaker/Retube for your Classic 30.

I already retubed the C30 and I love the thing. It handles all the rock/hard rock I play. the thing is just a beast of a british voiced amp. And I love it for that voicing.

thing is I want a higher gain amp as well. I'll be buying new gear soon (a new guitar, cables, maybe a pedal or two, and now an amp)

I think I'll sell the randall, as well as my rp80, towards whatever new guitar I buy, and save some money for an amp.

If I can get like $200 in trade in value at a shop for the randall I can put that towards a new guitar and buy another amp as well.

my overall guitar gear budget is $2000, but im NOT just buying an amp with it. I'd really like a better guitar than my godin (and one not made of maple). Im thinking a les paul studio...
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by loonyguitarist
What kinda music (specific bands) are you trying to play? Also, what level do you have the master volume/channel volume on?

to me it sounds like an amp that could handle slipknot, nu-metal and the like well. and I abhor those types music.

I have one and I love it. Definitely helps if you turn it up a bit. It is darkly voiced, which I like, personally, but maybe it's too much depending on what you're trying to play.

I dont play enough music by any one artist to go by that. but generally I try to hit Mesa MarkIV and Recto type tones. sometimes I screw around with john petrucci licks (but I'm not good enough to do it really well), metallica, iron maiden. I know a few trivium songs, hammerfall, etc.

I like power metal, shred metal, boderline metalcore (bands like trivium)

really Im not necessarily in love with mesas (as a matter of fact, I hated the stiletto last time I played through one) I think something like a JSX would be really nice, or pretty much any other versatile high gain amp that can get bit dark, crunchy, or smooth... 5150s are also cool, but I'd like a usable clean (I dont wanna lug both amps with me for cleans, to a jam session)

Sometimes I'm after paul gilbert or vai stuff (entirely the wrong amp for those types of things, Im much better off using the c30 and a distortion pedal).

but yeah that should give you an idea. I thought I'd buy a bugera 333xl, but Im not handy with soldering, and I'd really like to get an amp that will stay working.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Mar 18, 2009,
Are you using the high or low input on the amp? Usually the Low Inputs in any tube amp tend to have less treble, while the high inputs tend to have more highs.
Have you tried an EQ pedal, with high and mids maxed and bass on 0?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by DeadlyIllness
Are you using the high or low input on the amp? Usually the Low Inputs in any tube amp tend to have less treble, while the high inputs tend to have more highs.

I've used both. the high is a *little* better, but it just isnt that great.

Quote by shadow__666
Have you tried an EQ pedal, with high and mids maxed and bass on 0?

when I remove the bass, it loses a ton of sound, but no, I havent tried an eq pedal, just the knobs on the amp. But the knobs are very responsive (or rather, the bass knob is) and I can get rid of almost all the bass by turning it down to 0,but it loses all semblances of tone it has, and just gets ridiculously thin.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q